Ford Transmissions

2,156 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SG09
Sarge 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2010 F150 4.6L. 132k miles. Transmission blew suddenly. Mechanic says it looks like a sensor gasket was leaking for a while. No fluid in the system. Just changed the oil and noticed no leaks around the ******.

2005 F150 5.4L 4x4. 182k miles. Prior owner says ****** flushed at 120k. Fluid looked good two weeks ago. No is slipping into first gear.

Called Ford on the 2010 and complained. Got nowhere. Has anyone else had trans issues with Ford Trucks? Seems ridiculous to be losing transmission with less than 200k.
Picard
AG
So you let the fluid leak out on the first one, then bought someone else's problem on the second one.

Right?
OilAggie
AG
Buy a Chevy
aggieforester05
AG
Time to swap in a Ford Aluminator with a Helion Twin Turbo Kit and a TR-6060 manual.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Sarge 91 said:

2010 F150 4.6L. 132k miles. Transmission blew suddenly. Mechanic says it looks like a sensor gasket was leaking for a while. No fluid in the system. Just changed the oil and noticed no leaks around the ******..

Has the fluid ever been changed? I'd say this was the owners fault for not monitoring the fluid. Leaks would have been obvious below the truck on the ground and all over. Even if it wasnt dripping, any body under the truck while changing the oil would have noticed. Or anyone doing regular maintenance should have checked the fluid regularly.

Sarge 91 said:

2005 F150 5.4L 4x4. 182k miles. Prior owner says ****** flushed at 120k. Fluid looked good two weeks ago. No is slipping into first gear.

Called Ford on the 2010 and complained. Got nowhere. Has anyone else had trans issues with Ford Trucks? Seems ridiculous to be losing transmission with less than 200k.

1. NEVER flush any transmission.

2. Was 120K the first time the trans fluid was ever changed?

3. Trucks 12 years old and 182K miles. And you dont know how the previous owner used the truck. If you owned the 2005 since new and changed fluid every 60K and it failed, then I'd be surprised.

6R80E (in your 2010) I've seen with over 250K on them already with no issues, but with regular fluid changes (and I dont mean every 100K).

4R75W in your 2005 is also used in CVPI and taxis and I've seen 300K with no rebuilds either.
SG09
AG
2013 boost transmission is is pos. Shifts very hard in any stop and go traffic, shifts really hard between 2-3-4 randomly. Never really knows which gear it should be in around town resulting in hard shifts from 2-3. Shifted so hard awhile back I though I got rear ended. Ford is no help. Don't plan on buying another.

Edited to add owned since new and it's been a grocery getter.
TSUAggie
I've never changed transmission fluid on any of my vehicles and have never had any issues. I've always heard it was a bad idea.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
SG09 said:

2013 boost transmission is is pos. Shifts very hard in any stop and go traffic, shifts really hard between 2-3-4 randomly. Never really knows which gear it should be in around town resulting in hard shifts from 2-3. Shifted so hard awhile back I though I got rear ended. Ford is no help. Don't plan on buying another.

I wonder if you installed an aftermarket tune like 5 Star or Livernois if you'd like the shifting strategy more....
kmac30
AG
Have a 2010 f150 with 4.6. 210k on the clock. Transmission is still going strong.
Madman
AG
Sarge 91 said:

,2010 F150 4.6L. 132k miles. Transmission blew suddenly. Mechanic says it looks like a sensor gasket was leaking for a while. No fluid in the system. Just changed the oil and noticed no leaks around the ******.

I enjoy seeing ****** used on the auto board.
TMfrisco
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Sarge 91 said:

2010 F150 4.6L. 132k miles. Transmission blew suddenly. Mechanic says it looks like a sensor gasket was leaking for a while. No fluid in the system. Just changed the oil and noticed no leaks around the ******..

Has the fluid ever been changed? I'd say this was the owners fault for not monitoring the fluid. Leaks would have been obvious below the truck on the ground and all over. Even if it wasnt dripping, any body under the truck while changing the oil would have noticed. Or anyone doing regular maintenance should have checked the fluid regularly.

Sarge 91 said:

1. NEVER flush any transmission.

2. Was 120K the first time the trans fluid was ever changed?

3. Trucks 12 years old and 182K miles. And you dont know how the previous owner used the truck. If you owned the 2005 since new and changed fluid every 60K and it failed, then I'd be surprised.

6R80E (in your 2010) I've seen with over 250K on them already with no issues, but with regular fluid changes (and I dont mean every 100K).

4R75W in your 2005 is also used in CVPI and taxis and I've seen 300K with no rebuilds either.
My 2013 Ecoboost owners manual does not show a transmission fluid change until 100K. You say never flush and change more often?
Furlock Bones
AG
never flush
CDUB98
AG
Got almost 65k on my boost. I've never had any transmission issues. Interesting.

It is on my to-do list to change the diffs, transfer case, and trans fluids soon. Need to do the plugs too.
SG09
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

SG09 said:

I wonder if you installed an aftermarket tune like 5 Star or Livernois if you'd like the shifting strategy more....

Thought occurred to me, but the idea of spending 400-600 to get the truck to run correctly as it should has me at a loss. Although I considered this to help solve the extreme drive by wire issue it's had since new as well (and Ford can't replicate). Every day at start up/leave of work - you push the throttle the rpms surge, truck lunges forward and has a loud clunk. After that first touch of the throttle it's fine. If I could fix two birds with one stone it might be worth it.

I tried your electrical system reset suggestion a few months back for the transmission - it helped for roughly a week and then it was back to normal.
The Wonderer
AG
Do you do this immediately after startup or do you allow the RPMs to settle to ~600 from the ~1200 they shoot to during warmup?
HumbleAg04
AG
The typical problem with a Ford transmission is they are made for Ford and in a Ford.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

The typical problem with a Ford transmission is they are made for Ford and in a Ford.
They were developed with General Motors in a joint effort, so.........
The Wonderer
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

HumbleAg04 said:

robertcope
75K on my 2012 Expedition. Never owned an automatic before. Thinking of dropping the transmission pan, changing filter, refilling with oil. Honestly don't know what I'm trying to solve, but it just seems reasonable to do it regularly. Seems like some people are saying that's a bad idea?

robert
The Wonderer
AG
Pretty sure the 2012 Expy is inspect until suspect. 100k drop and refill is being proactive.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
robertcope said:

75K on my 2012 Expedition. Never owned an automatic before. Thinking of dropping the transmission pan, changing filter, refilling with oil. Honestly don't know what I'm trying to solve, but it just seems reasonable to do it regularly. Seems like some people are saying that's a bad idea?

robert
6R80 Trans service is actually pretty easy.

preventative maintenance is well worth it.

Even just drain and refill is better than nothing.
robertcope
1agswitchin4lanes said:

6R80 Trans service is actually pretty easy.

preventative maintenance is well worth it.

Even just drain and refill is better than nothing.

Agreed, it's easy work. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth doing. It sounds like there's a bunch of different opinions. "Don't flush." What's the better alternative to drain and refill if not a flush?

robert
robertcope
The Wonderer said:

Pretty sure the 2012 Expy is inspect until suspect. 100k drop and refill is being proactive.
Change fluid and filter at 150K, according to the manual. However, they also say that if you primarily tow a trailer to do it every 30K. I don't primarily tow a trailer, but for a good part of its life I did tow once or twice a month, so I thought maybe halving the standard recommendation could be reasonable.

robert
HumbleAg04
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

HumbleAg04 said:

True, but I'm under the impression they are manufactured in separate plants, have separate specs, so that is a bit misleading.

The sensitivity of Ford fans is fun to play with, its almost too easy when the front page of this board is constantly full of broken ford threads.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
robertcope said:

The Wonderer said:

Change fluid and filter at 150K, according to the manual. However, they also say that if you primarily tow a trailer to do it every 30K. I don't primarily tow a trailer, but for a good part of its life I did tow once or twice a month, so I thought maybe halving the standard recommendation could be reasonable.

robert
I'd say its cheap insurance.

Remember to undo the fill plug first. The trans will hold a vacuum and when the pan drops, it makes a big mess.

Its on the side of the case underneath.

Undo the bolts and let it hang like normal and make sure you have plenty of catch pan under it.
SG09
AG
The Wonderer said:

Do you do this immediately after startup or do you allow the RPMs to settle to ~600 from the ~1200 they shoot to during warmup?

Does it under both that I recall. Also rpms settle when you put it in gear.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.