Aftermarket remote start

3,656 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
Sims
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're potentially buying a vehicle without remote start. It has wireless locks, trunk, and security, but no remote start. Is there any aftermarket remote start system that can control all of the existing features plus remote start with one remote? We'd rather not keep up with two different remotes for the different functions.
TIA
Corps_Ag12
AG
What kind of car?
Sims
AG
Probably minivan.. Chrysler t&c, pacifica, Honda Odyssey

Silvy
AG
Yes
Sims
AG
Good deal. I can avoid a whole trim package and keep everyone happy. Thanks
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Also keep in mind if it has keyless ignition or not too....will have effect
JSKolache
AG
There are several 3rd party systems, but they are janky in that most require one of your chipped ignition keys to be mounted inside the control box that is installed under the dash. To make after market systems work, an original key is mounted near the ignition switch to trigger the factory immobilizer. These kits are hidden up under the dash, but there's still a key inside your vehicle someone could use to drive off with, if they know what to look for.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
There are several 3rd party systems, but they are janky in that most require one of your chipped ignition keys to be mounted inside the control box that is installed under the dash. To make after market systems work, an original key is mounted near the ignition switch to trigger the factory immobilizer. These kits are hidden up under the dash, but there's still a key inside your vehicle someone could use to drive off with, if they know what to look for.

If they do this, they installer is being lazy. Alarm companies now offer bypass modules for almost every RFID key system now that allows you to start the car remotely WITHOUT the key strapped to the steering column. They're around 20 bucks.
Southpaw 07
AG
1Ags - I have a 16 GTI DSG w/ the KESSY key & push to start. Are you aware of a system that would allow remote start on my vehicle without sacrificing a key? VWVortex doesn't seem to have solved for this solution yet.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
1Ags - I have a 16 GTI DSG w/ the KESSY key & push to start. Are you aware of a system that would allow remote start on my vehicle without sacrificing a key? VWVortex doesn't seem to have solved for this solution yet.
The only system I've seen that is decent is iDatalink and they do require a key, but you remove the battery and wrap the key 5-6 times (inductive I guess).

Doesnt VW offer an accessory remote start?
AG
Just curious how often and when people use remote start. My truck has it but I've used it maybe once just to test it out.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Just curious how often and when people use remote start. My truck has it but I've used it maybe once just to test it out.
With an aftermarket (with decent range) or internet connect remote start, I'd use it every day before leaving the office. Let the car cool down for 5-10 mins before getting in makes for a much more comfortable ride home. In the winter in colder climates, it helps to melt ice/snow before the commute.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
I have bluelink on my Santa Fe and I can start it via cell phone.

In the summer when its over 90 outside I use it quite often.

I also like using it during the cold months so the car can warm up a few minutes before I get in and go.
Southpaw 07
AG
quote:
quote:
The only system I've seen that is decent is iDatalink and they do require a key, but you remove the battery and wrap the key 5-6 times (inductive I guess).

Doesnt VW offer an accessory remote start?
The only remote start I've been able to find direct from VW is for the '16 Passat, and even that seems to require a key.

I've seen something about remote start not being offered by VW due to regulations in Europe which prohibit idling an unoccupied vehicle. I have no idea how accurate that information is though.

Thanks for the pointer on the iDatalink system, it looks like a pretty good third party solution.
TX_AG_10
AG
All the time.. I have a one year old daughter and almost always remote start when I'm toting her around to cool/warm vehicle before we get going. Doesn't get much air in the back seat when rear facing. Used it a lot even before the kid.
Sims
AG
We decided to go with a 2016 Odyssey EXL. We opted against the remote start from Honda at the dealer just because it's essentially an aftermarket system anyway. We can come back later if we want to go that route.

Is idatalink going to be the best bet?

I looked at their website and I can't make heads or tails of what I need to get as far as which package and which accessory items.

I can choose what fits the vehicle but then there are still 10+ packages and even more accessories available.

If there was a reputable installer that any of you know about who could point me in the right direction, that would be great to hear about.
htownag10
AG
Viper is a pretty good one
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
We decided to go with a 2016 Odyssey EXL. We opted against the remote start from Honda at the dealer just because it's essentially an aftermarket system anyway. We can come back later if we want to go that route.

Is idatalink going to be the best bet?

I looked at their website and I can't make heads or tails of what I need to get as far as which package and which accessory items.

I can choose what fits the vehicle but then there are still 10+ packages and even more accessories available.

If there was a reputable installer that any of you know about who could point me in the right direction, that would be great to hear about.
Do you have keyless ignition?
Sims
AG
Yessir
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
This looks pretty cheap actually.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Honda-Odyssey-Remote-Engine-Start-System-2-Kit-2014-2016-/111168374855
mm98
AG
Sims, can you update this thread when you make a decision? I want to get this for our Sienna that can control the sliding doors and rear hatch all on one remote. Thanks.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I've been googling this topic myself, and there is a Canadian Company called Fortin that offers a module thats programmable for remote start that works with your OEM remote....
Sims
AG
Had a bunch going on lately and haven't really made a move in any particular direction.

I think viper remote start with the phone app is on the top of the list right now.

Going to check out the Fortin option just posted.
Sims
AG
Quote:

The OEM remote will no longer function once the vehicle is remote started.

That was one of the items on the Fortin equipment. Not sure I like the sound of that.
Sims
AG
Meant to have this project done by now but we went and had another kid.

In any case, I installed omegalink tonight that uses the factory remote and keeps all the regular functions. Takes some rewiring on the harness but it all works out good.

Honda engineers can kma for locating things where they do
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Just curious how often and when people use remote start.

I'm going to try and get my wife's next vehicle with a remote start on it. Safety issue. Also, cooling in the summer and heating in the winter, if needed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.