Took 1.5 Years, but we finally finished the Mustang

5,141 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agwrangler2001
GrapevineAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last Valentine's Day (as it turned out), I bought a '66 Mustang project car. The body work and paint had been done, and it had a rebuilt 302 and a rebuilt C4 automatic transmission go with it. Neither the engine or the trans had been used since being rebuilt, and both were loosely mounted in the car with no accessories or anything hooked up. Lots of parts in bins, boxes, and buckets. Today, it passed inspection and we registered it.

This was something to work on with my 15 y.o. son and teach him some things, while also letting him earn some sweat equity in his car. Yep, this is his car now. He has been a great kid / young man, and I have no doubt that he will live up to his end of the bargain (first time he's caught racing, speeding, or whatever, he loses it to me).

We made some upgrades... front disc brakes from a '75 Granada, high-back bucket seats with headrests from a '94 Mustang GT, 3-point seat belts in front, a handbrake (instead of the old knee brake), and power brakes. It's not a show car, and there are still plenty of opportunities to upgrade bits (seats, steering, suspension, air conditioning), but it should be a good driver.

Of course, it took longer and cost more than I had planned, but it was a lot of fun and a lot of work. I learned a lot about my son too - he's smart, persistent, and very even-keeled.

I know it's not as cool or as nice as agwrangler2001's Chevelle SS resto-mod (I've been following that thread - great job!), but this was a good project car to learn with as all of the parts and knowledge are readily available on the inter webs.

Thanks for looking!

Photobucket album (sorry, I know)
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Great that you got your teenage son interested.

That's a lot of fun and work.

I have a 64 1/2 convertible D Code that I purchased 5 yrs ago with that in mind but never got the traction from them. It sits in the garage now, can drive daily, waiting to trade for an RV.
GrapevineAg
AG
Thanks, it didn't take any effort to get him interested. Some days, he'd be waiting for me to get home from work, or he'd actually get up EARLY on a Saturday, so we could start working on something.

Your convertible sounds really nice - got any pics?
dubi
AG
Great job!

/mom worry: no airbags! I'm friends with someone who had a wreck in a classic car with no air bags. Broken back in 3 places, broken sternum, broken facial bones, etc. Five years later still had medical issues.
GrapevineAg
AG
I hear ya. Fortunately, he only has a 1 mile drive to the high school and a 2 mile drive to the practice fields, so he won't be on highways yet. We are teaching him to drive more cautiously given the lack of airbags, crumple zones, and collapsible steering column.
CDUB98
AG
Automatic

You're a horrible father.

I keed. I keed.

Congrats on getting to do something like that with your son.
GrapevineAg
AG
I know, right!
Tim Weaver
Actually I think racing would be the best thing for a new driver. Take him to the SCCA stuff out at Riverside and get him signed up. He will learn all kinds of stuff about car control. And he could ride along with other drivers to learn even more.

You can beat up cones with any car. That one will do just fine....

Great looking car BTW! I wish my son was interested in vintage stuff. He wants a 350Z....
04.arch.ag
AG
That's a sweet ride for anyone and especially sweet for a high schooler. T&Ps for all the fathers of the girls at his school. That thing is a chick magnet
Duncan Idaho
Good work
512Ag
AG
Looks great!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
quote:
Thanks, it didn't take any effort to get him interested. Some days, he'd be waiting for me to get home from work, or he'd actually get up EARLY on a Saturday, so we could start working on something.

Your convertible sounds really nice - got any pics?

I don't have many pics to save to tiny pic from this server. Needs paint upgrade and some little stuff yet.

GrapevineAg
AG
Very nice!
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Actually, putting a collapsible steering column isn't all that hard, I did it to mine (66 coupe). Can't remember the brand, but I think it was Flaming River.

Also, I would recommend either the steel rear firewall or the plate steel "tank armor" for the gas tank. He's going near a high school, and while I'm sure he's a smart young man who'll take care of her, the mouthbreathing idiots he's classmates might not be paying such close attention. Getting rear-ended is a real possibility here.

I am curious how you accomplished the power brakes? Mine had the factory system with the mono-chamber master cylinder. I tossed that and went to a dual chamber, but that meant that the factory booster wouldn't work. You go with an aftermarket system?
agwrangler2001
AG
Love it! Always glad to see kids getting into classic cars nowadays....

To me, what makes any project cool is working on it yourself and learning as you go!

GrapevineAg
AG
I've been looking at getting a collapsible from a '68. It's possible to keep the '66 steering wheel with one. The Flaming River units are nice but pricey.

The brake booster is from a '94 Mustang 4-cyl, and I can't remember what the dual-bowl disc/drum MC comes from. I went to Mustang Steve to get my brake pedal bracket modified to work with this setup. I also got an adjustable proportioning valve from him (really a combination of proportioning valve and distribution block). I'm very pleased with how it works. Future upgrade: rear discs.
Dumpster Fire
Dumpster Fire
That video of him on your photobucket starting the car up and that sound!

agwrangler2001
AG
quote:
I've been looking at getting a collapsible from a '68. It's possible to keep the '66 steering wheel with one. The Flaming River units are nice but pricey.
Looky what I have!

This is a Ford collapsible column of some vintage. Came in my Chevelle pile of parts when I bought it.
If you are interested in it, I can take a few more pics and try to get a part number off of it.

Hell, you can have it, just pay the shipping if you are interested...?
GrapevineAg
AG
Wow, that's a generous offer! I may PM you. Thanks!
agwrangler2001
AG
Not sure I can get PMs on here, try me at dabhand at hot mail . com
lb3
AG
mustang6tee8
AG
quote:
Congrats to your son. My dad and I started rebuilding my Mustang when I was 14 and those long and hot hours and days working together are some of my fondest memories.
Same story here. Congrats OP, time to start planning the next iteration.
GrapevineAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Looky what I have!

This is a Ford collapsible column of some vintage. Came in my Chevelle pile of parts when I bought it.
If you are interested in it, I can take a few more pics and try to get a part number off of it.

Blue star for agwrangler2001 - he sent me the old Ford collapsible steering column and it arrived yesterday. Thanks!

Here's an article showing how to adapt it to fit a '64.5-'66 Mustang:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/30247-collapsible-steering-column/
SECeded
GrapevineAg
AG
I say "go for it!" In my case, it's a way for my son and I to bond/relate. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. I think I've probably spent $15k-16k all in over 1.5 years. More than I originally thought it would be, but worth it. Mustangs are pretty cheap compared to most other classics. Yeah, they're common and not as cool as Camaros, Firebirds, Challengers, etc.

You can probably get a good running1st gen. Mustang for $7k-12k (depending upon the condition and features). I watched craigslist for a long time before pulling the trigger on a project car. You can find lots of stuff for a lower price, so do some research on sourcing parts.
SECeded
lb3
AG
SECeded
GrapevineAg
AG
agwrangler2001 said:

Quote:

Looky what I have!

So after getting the '68 collapsible column from agwrangler2001 (thanks again!), I've been gradually refurbishing it and acquiring the other parts needed to put this thing in. There was a bit of surface rust and a little pitting, but nothing bad. Hit the parts with a wire wheel, sandpaper, wire brushes, etc. removing the rust and old paint. Primed and painted the pieces, leaving some areas bare (such as the top of the steering shaft where bearings and threads are).

The current spear-o-matic steering box/shaft has a lot of play in it, so it was going to have to be rebuilt. At that point, might as well get a rebuilt steering box for a '68 and use this column. The only thing I'm waiting for is a coupler/rag-joint that was on backorder - should get here this week. So, this weekend is go-time.

blue: collapsible outer steering column tube
green: collapsible steering shaft
yellow: column mount to underside of dash
red: top half of collapsible inner column tube
purple: column mount and seal to firewall

upper shaft bearing and dust shield

red: Pitman arm
blue: steering box

And here's why we're doing this... a '66 steering box/shaft - no breakaway or collapsible parts here, just a solid metal rod aimed at the driver's heart.
agwrangler2001
AG
Nicely done! Glad something in my pile of parts went to good use!
GrapevineAg
AG
Finally got around to finishing this project. Turns out I had the wrong Pitman arm, so I had to get an original one from West Coast Classic Cougars - works great. My son helped the whole time, and he adapted the wiring all by himself after everything was bolted in. Went ahead and replaced the old steering wheel (it cracked badly this winter), but we need to get a new hub to fit better with the larger diameter 1968 collar. The car drives so much better with a rebuilt steering box, and it's safer now too!

Out with the old:

In with the new:

agwrangler2001
AG
That wheel looks great!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.