What's happening in TSJ's garage

4,101 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KY AG
TSJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thread to is to log the work on cars/truck/etc. that find their way into the shop.

To start this off, I have been delaying on working the cruiser I picked up last fall. Its got a pretty good list of things that need attention, but up until the last couple weeks its been drivable so I have taken it easy on her.

Here's a clue at why stopped driving it.

Yep metal on metal on this corner. So with 280k, I think its time for brake system overhaul. New calipers, rotors brake lines and fluid. I haven't had any issue with pressure so I am holding off on the master cylinder and booster.

And since you have pull the hubs to remove the brake rotors I am going ahead rebuilding the axles front and rear. This my first time dealing with solid axles or really 4X4's for that matter.

So Aggiepaintrain, 1ags, Complete Idiot or any other Fj80 experts, any specific tips on the axle rebuilds? I think i have all the parts needed and I have watched the videos a couple times, but looks like you just have dive in and do it.

Tried the stepdad's electric pressure washer for the underside, that was a waste.

I went ahead and took the calipers off all the corners cause Napa, values these cores more than double their replacements. Here's the front driver's caliper and rotor.

Now how she sits before I get started tonight or tomorrow.

CATAGBQ04
BigRobSA
Good idea to change the brakes!
Furlock Bones
AG
still one of the best looking SUVs of all time.
HBCanine08
AG
More pics of the LC and Nissan please
TSJ
AG
I'll get some more pics up this afternoon or evening. Progress is a little slow. Between the lack of experience or technique, I am still on the front axle. The great news is the wife is out of town till Friday, so every night is cruiser night.

Now I just have to get another box gloves before this evening...
AG
the conical washers on the axle flange bolts are the hardest part about the job

I think the hub nut is 2 1/8" like everything else ever made, but for some reason no store in Dallas stocks this so youll likely have to order it. make sure you get one deep enough to clear the spindle and cv shaft
Complete Idiot
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-axle-rebuild-for-faq.78276/
Flaith
AG
quote:
Now I just have to get another box gloves before this evening...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO9RKGQ/ref=twister_B01CS5L7PG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

you're welcome
TSJ
AG
Robert- didnt run into much of an issue with the conical washers. Pulling them off after they popped out of the hub was a little tedious. And I picked up the 54mm socket on amazon a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, it looks like one of the previous services some just used a punch or screwdriver to tighten the axle nuts.

Complete Idiot- I am using the pdf in my phone to duouble check the torque specs.

Flaith- I have been running to harbor freight, but it looks like the price per glove is about even not including tax. I'll go that route next time.

Okay Day 3!

Over the weekend I got everything pulled and started reassembled the the passenger side.

getting the old sludge out

new trunion bearing races and axle seal installed

old parts cleaned and ready for reassembly

new parts staged up

The part I had the hardest time with was connect the axle to the birfield joint. The splined joint has recess a little wire C-clip that you need to put either a ziptie or a hose clamp to compress then slam the complete axle
together and remove the clamp to fully seat the connection.

What I did wrong was overfill the birfield with grease before hand. So no matter how hard I slammed it never went in. Then I figured it out and scooped out a lot grease to make room and everything worked from there.

cleaned birfield

groove for the c-clip

clip and axle

too much grease

just right

with axles in place its time for it start getting fun again.

New stoptech rotors that were only 10-15 bucks more than plan rotors.

And how she sits tonight.

Whats left for the front axle:

Driver side- install new caliper and pads, tie rod ends and brake lines
Passenger side- install wheel hub, caliper and pads, tie rod ends, and brake lines
top off the axle with new gear oil
Aggietaco
AG
While those joints look to be in good shape, I'm not sure I wouldn't have replaced them or upgraded to some marfields at 280k miles, depending on how much off-road/ranch use.
TSJ
AG
quote:
While those joints look to be in good shape, I'm not sure I wouldn't have replaced them or upgraded to some marfields at 280k miles, depending on how much off-road/ranch use.

The previous owner's wife used it for mall cruising. The diff and center lockers werent working because of inactivity.

But we will see, I want to get some 35's on it.
Aggietaco
AG
They can still go bad spinning for 280,000 miles. Any clicking or ticking when making turns?
AG
those upgraded cv joints may not break, but they sound worn out and clicky in no time

at least my 30/30 rcvs do. Im guessing 30k on them, maybe less
TSJ
AG
quote:
They can still go bad spinning for 280,000 miles. Any clicking or ticking when making turns?
None that I have come across.
TSJ
AG
Been while since I've given an update.

By 4th of July weekend I finished installing the front axle components and the rear end went quite a bit faster.

In the home stretch at this point I just had to bleed the brake system. Unfortunately, the same system that I left caliper lines open for the month or so. Using the regular 2 person method we got both rear calipers clear, but there is a factory proportioning valve next in the system that was mainly air. So we skipped that for a while to do the front calipers. Both were nothing but air. At this point we have no pedal press and the whole front system is nonexistent.

Reading the forums, I find out that these cruisers are notoriously hard to bleed, but pressure bleeders seem to work pretty well. So following a simple parts list I made a lowes pressure bleeder for 50 bucks.

I went ahead and bleed this system twice and sure enough, a firm pedal has returned!

Finally, I got the cruiser in the shop for a front end alignment and to fix the A/C.
Now its time to daily it for a while till new engine seals are ordered.

This weekend I used it to get started clearing out the fire pit. Old tenants got high around the fire and started throwing everything in it.

Hope y'all have a good week!

TSJ
AG
Sooooooonnnnnn

TSJ
AG
Installed on the car with new rubber!

CATAGBQ04
AG
Love to see Landcruisers built up!
TSJ
AG
Well, its been a while since I have checked in. The good news is we bought a house, the bad news is I don't have access to an awesome shop any more.

The awesome news is I got leak in one of my tires that ended up having two punctures too close for a patch, so the cruiser got some new shoes too.

before

after

315/75r16 Cooper St Maxx

Its nice to actually get something fun done to the cruiser that is more than just maintenance.

It also received a new windshield. Things that need to be addressed: knock sensor codes, egr system code, install a new throttle cable and fusible link.
sts7049
KY AG
AG
TSJ -

I'm about to commence on a full birf rebuild (I think). Do you have a list of tools, parts, materials needed to do the job? Looks like you were pretty prepared when you started out, thought you might be able to direct me here.
TSJ
AG
KY AG said:

TSJ -

I'm about to commence on a full birf rebuild (I think). Do you have a list of tools, parts, materials needed to do the job? Looks like you were pretty prepared when you started out, thought you might be able to direct me here.
I bought an axle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Just tell them what you want rebuild and they will get you hooked up. They also include some printed instructions.

54mm axle hub socket
Bearing race and seal installer kit
Seal puller
Brass drift
Wheel bearing greaser
Torque wrench

That's off the top of my head. Have tons of paper towels and nitrile gloves. Instead of cans and cans of brake cleaner I filled a 5 gal bucket with gasoline and dunked parts in that.

Watch the Jonesys videos rebuilding the axles on YouTube. I watched them a lot before and during.
KY AG
AG
Gracias
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.