Ford Warranty - are speakers covered???

22,091 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Al Bula
Matt_s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 2013 FX4's speakers are starting to sound terrible. Front passenger side sounds blown. Would Ford cover this under the 3yr/36000 warranty? Did a quick google search and got kind of a mixed bag of answers. Any of you had any luck with getting those replaced by Ford?

Sitting at 32xxx currently, need to have it taken in anyways because the airbag light stays on almost all the time.
jimscott85
AG
I'd be interested in responses as well. My 2012 is in right now for a battery replacement, and I'm sitting at 34K (original purchase was 11/12, so I'm still under the wire).

I have noticed issues with my door speakers as well. Sub, tweeters, etc. are fine. My driver side door is one of the offending speakers. I've noticed that, with certain songs or stations, the vibrations are worse. However, the vibration is completely eliminated when I press my left knee against the door panel. I'm curious if we are experiencing some issues with either rattling hardware or maybe some broken door clips that are allowing for vibration. My doors have never been removed.

OP: Maybe try turning your radio up to the point you have the vibrations and see if pressing in on the inside door panel (at the arm rest or maybe a little below it) and see if the vibration is eliminated.

Maybe our issues are completely different, but I definitely don't blast a lot of music at max. Mostly sports radio an comedy stations.
ksp
Should be covered unless you modified the original system.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
3/36 is bumper to bumper....
Picard
AG
They're covered yes, but why bother? They'll just put more crappy speakers in there.

Upgrade yourself to better aftermarket speakers.

The Fife
quote:
They're covered yes, but why bother? They'll just put more crappy speakers in there.

Upgrade yourself to better aftermarket speakers.

This. Use Crutchfield to find something that fits, then buy it off Amazon.
Matt_s
AG
quote:
I'd be interested in responses as well. My 2012 is in right now for a battery replacement, and I'm sitting at 34K (original purchase was 11/12, so I'm still under the wire).

I have noticed issues with my door speakers as well. Sub, tweeters, etc. are fine. My driver side door is one of the offending speakers. I've noticed that, with certain songs or stations, the vibrations are worse. However, the vibration is completely eliminated when I press my left knee against the door panel. I'm curious if we are experiencing some issues with either rattling hardware or maybe some broken door clips that are allowing for vibration. My doors have never been removed.

OP: Maybe try turning your radio up to the point you have the vibrations and see if pressing in on the inside door panel (at the arm rest or maybe a little below it) and see if the vibration is eliminated.

Maybe our issues are completely different, but I definitely don't blast a lot of music at max. Mostly sports radio an comedy stations.
Definitely sounds like a similar situation. I also had a thought that it might be a wiring issue... it kind of has the same sound as when you jiggle a wire or a pair of headphones. Kind of a click/pop kind of sound. Or maybe they're just blown, I too have not removed any door parts or pieces.

I'll mention it to the dealership and have them look at it when I take mine in.

As to the "why not just get new speakers" question... We just bought a new (to us) house, and time and money have been going to that instead. I don't mind the sound quality too much, so if I could get another couple of years out of a new set of OEM speaker on Ford's dime, I'd be good to go. Now, if they end up not being covered... then I guess I'll just bite the bullet.
The Wonderer
AG
Are they basic speakers or the Sony speakers?

You should be covered under the 3/36k warranty.
Matt_s
AG
Sony
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Sony
Yeah, have Ford drop some new ones in. I have same system and it is still rocking after 5 years and 82k miles.
BrazosDog02
AG
Have the dealer replace the speaker under warranty and then replace them as above. Then you can sell the ones from the truck as a 'set of factory originals' on ebayz.
Al Bula
AG
Bump.

I hate how crappy the factory Ford speakers sound. Gonna replace under warranty.

If the next factory set turns out to be as terrible, here is a nice video on replacing them.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.