Empty carfax?

2,784 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Complete Idiot
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ran a carfax on a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser and got an empty report, which is a first. How does this happen?

Vehicle Information:
VIN: JT3HJ85JYT0126231
No accident/damage reported
No accident / damage reported to CARFAX
Vehicle history information available
1 Detailed record available
Last reported odometer reading/mileage
225,298 Last reported odometer reading

Just say, Show Me the CARFAX!
This CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX and available as of 6/10/14 at 4:28:40 PM (EDT). Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.
Title History
CARFAX guarantees the information in this section Summary

Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt | Fire | Flood | Hail | Lemon Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. Register | View Terms | View Certificate
Additional History
Not all accidents / issues are reported to CARFAX Summary

Total Loss
No total loss reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Structural Damage
No structural damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment
No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Odometer Check
No indication of an odometer rollback.

No Issues Indicated
Accident / Damage
No accidents or damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Manufacturer Recall
Check with an authorized dealer for any open recalls.

No Recalls Reported
Basic Warranty
No data reported to CARFAX.
No Data
Reported
Tell us what you know about this vehicle
Hot Listings®
Looking for other vehicles like this one in your area?
Search CARFAX Hot Listings for an up-to-date list of vehicles in your area, all with the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee!

Glossary
Detailed History

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
05/16/2014 225,298 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
Print This Page Print this CARFAX Report and take it to your pre-purchase inspection

Tell us what you know about this vehicle
Complete Idiot
I read that shady dealers somehow manipulate vin by one digit such that only one event shows up on carfax - that appears to be the case here.

Anyone seen this before?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
I read that shady dealers somehow manipulate vin by one digit such that only one event shows up on carfax - that appears to be the case here.

Yup. I had that happen too.

Transpose numbers and do an inspection and then it has an instant carfax record.
Mookie
AG
Vin won't run on my appraisal software, so the above poster is probably correct.
Complete Idiot
I'll ask for a photo of the vin sticker and listen to the silence.....
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Bugs much?

These are seat covers over the OEM leather:

Gross:

Skull trailer hitch cover...srs bzness.
Complete Idiot
Every FZJ80 either has seat covers or SHOULD have seat covers.

That one looks in decent shape, with lockers, for $5K - so the VIN manipulation must be covering up some serious stuff.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Yeah but whats under the vinyl covers? That OEM leather on the back seat looks bad. those ill fitting covers up front are probably hiding some bad damage.

My FZJ80 did NOT have covers and the interior was in very nice shape with 180K on the clock.

Also, notice the faded rr fender flare. I bet those bug guts are etched into the clearcoat.

[This message has been edited by 1agswitchin4lanes (edited 6/11/2014 8:18a).]
Complete Idiot
Oh no, the 18 year old, 225,000 mile, sub $5k vehicle has clear coat and leather damage!

Let's focus on what is probably the real issue - the vin games are hiding wreck or flood history. Or who knows what. It's still tempting at that price given the factory lockers.

Perhaps a low mileage garaged All it's life fzj80 won't have cracked leather. The lx 450 used different leather and holds up better apparently. If yours has good leather and was under $5k then excellent find. There's a 40th anniversary model in college station for sale for $5k but with 254k miles and trashed interior.
Mookie
AG
Only a Complete Idiot would care about the CarFax on an 18 YO 225k sub $5k vehicle anyway.
Complete Idiot
Good point. In addition to my IQ of 87, my car obsessions are a big reason my username is completely appropriate.
The Fife
I wish the actual VIN were available - I'm more curious about what they're covering up than anything else.
Mookie
AG
its somewhere in digits 11-17. digits 1-10 are fine as they decode in manheim.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Just saying, there are a lot cleaner used FZJ80s out there for a few bucks more.

Look in the classifieds of Ih8mud
Complete Idiot
Found a '96 with arb bumper, sliders , winch, and factor diff lockers for $3500. It's mine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.