License Plate Research for Abandoned Car

4,979 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TX AG 88
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Matsui
vansprinkle
AG
So, looks like he was able to get in touch with the current owner/guy he sold it to. He said he wants to keep the car and if he decides to sell he will let the original owner know first. Of course, the original owner acts like he would want to buy it back if ever for sale.

I've asked him to ask the other guy why he has let the car sit for so long abandoned. Hopefully I'll get an answer and will update you all when I do. So, for the time being, it looks like this beautiful car will just continue to sit in my parking garage and collect dust.
YZ250
Do the front rotors have rust?
TX AG 88
AG
was a nice try, but now that the current owner acknowledges and says he wants to keep the car, it's really no one's business as to what he does with it. (unless he's not autorized to leave it where it's parked, then the parking lot owner has a legitimate beef.)
Street Fighter
AG
That thing will still be sitting there in five years.
Dill-Ag13
AG
steal it!
ABATTBQ11
AG
I wonder if adverse possession works on vehicles...
permabull
AG
vansprinkle
AG
Update email from the old Ag original owner:

quote:
Thought you might enjoy a few details about the '72 Z. It had/has 123k miles when I started the restoration.
I discovered small holes in the floor(from 4 years in the DC area where they salt the roads when there are snow flurries)
I decided to replace the floors which I now regret-should have just patched the small holes for originality. A place in front of the right rear wheel well also was rusty and replaced as was the rear panel below the hatch. Here they cut the whole piece from a rust free car including the tail light housings and welded it in. So it is not the "rust free" Arizona body-which I doubt exists anyway. The sheet metal on the Z was very thin, hence, you see very few rust free examples today. By now the 20 factory reproductions done on/about 1999 will be showing some rust if a daily driver(at $35,000 each). They were going to do 200 but stopped at 20.

My car differs from these reproductions in that I have the original engine and drive trail. The engine was gone through but not bored out as it was not needed. So it is still the original dimensions. They did put hardened valve seats in the head so I no longer had to add a supplement to keep it from pinging. I used premium fuel always anyway. They changed the bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. but basically, the engine showed no signs of wear.

The car also has all the original u-joints, axles, brake drums. We did change the fuel tank because mine was bent underneath from something I don't recall now. The fuel tank and suspension are powder coated. I added the headlight covers in 1973. My car has fiberglass headlight nacelles where others had metal ones. The headliner and door panels, door handles and dash are original. The dash has no cracks because I always put a large white towel on it when parked outside. It seems to have worked. I also kept the original seats. I was able to get new vinyl covering for the rear suspension towers and trans tunnel. The carpet is all new.
Under the hood, I got fuel lines anodized, a new trouble light, added new SU carbs I had bought light years before for this purpose. There was nothing wrong with the original carbs which I gave to Jeff along with lots of other stuff. The seats are Recaros. The steering wheel is from "Personal" and is real wood-bought it from a guy for $100 on/about 1979.
The A/C I had added in 1972 included the vertical compressor. Years later, I discovered that the long belt for the A/C was the cause of eating my water pumps. I changed to a rotary compressor which mounted in a special bracket where the smog pump once was. No more water pump problems.

I spent over $12,000 on the restoration and countless hundreds of hours of my labor in addition to all the work I had done by professional people. Well, the computer is acting up so will close for now.
Aggietaco
sts7049
powerbiscuit
vansprinkle
AG
Got another email from the ole Ag former owner:

quote:
Thought you might enjoy seeing the "real" Z before I sold it. Here are 4 photos.
I noticed in the shots you sent me someone has stolen the "Datsun" emblem from the rear deck lid........

mpezll
AG
This thread is amazing. I hope he gets it back. And TexAg license plates...
CanyonAg77
AG
Pretty!
p_bubel
Oh man.
aggie1357
I can't imagine why he would just have it parked in a garage for all of this time..
Aggietaco
AG
That is a fine looking vehicle
p_bubel

I always thought the built in flashlight was pretty cool.

II
\/

You unscrew the section with the bulb and a long wire allows you to use the fixed light as a flashlight.

I think they were in the engine bay all the way up till the appearance of the 300ZX
Aggietaco
AG
Hell, any light under the hood would be nice these days. My '88 XJ had one that was switched on/off by a tilt mechanism, so when I was wheeling at night, a light would randomly switch on under my hood on the hairy sections.
BrazosDog02
AG
Kind of a shame. The thing that bothers me the most about this story is that the current owner of that car does not and did not want it until you expressed interest in it. It will rot there until its hauled off by a wrecker where it will rot out in the weather.

vansprinkle
AG
From the original Aggie owner:

Quote:

Vansprinkle, on June 5, 2018, I purchased the 1972 Datsun 240-Z back from Jeff Floyd. In 8 years, he had driven it less than 100 miles. Unfortunately, that and the Houston heat caused corrosion and cracks in the paint (done in 1996-97). Though I haven't figured out the paint solution yet, I have removed and cleaned the carburetors, sand blasted and repainted the exhaust manifold, of course, washed the car, found coolant in the #4 and #6 intake valve chambers. So, I am taking the car to Kin Chan's shop in Houston, likely next week to replace gaskets, find out where the coolant came from-likely head gasket, any damage to head, etc.
Thought you might like to know.
MB '61
College Station, TX
Aston 91
AG
Cool story and glad the original owner got it back. When I worked at Fulbright in Austin we had a partner there who always had 3 or 4 classics (mid '60s T-bird, early '70s BMW, etc.) scattered throughout the parking garage. In that case he would at least move them around every so often, but I'm fairly sure he was using the garage for storage of several cars while only paying for one parking spot. Wonder why this guy just decided to let this one go to waste.
TexAg1987
So it is in CS?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
This is such a badass story. Glad to see its going back to someone who will love and care for it.

Kin Chan at Zworld is awesome if you own a Z car. I go to church with an older fella that has a vintage Z car that drives it daily. Spotless condition. We talk shop on Sunday mornings before church.
agdaddy04
AG
Street Fighter said:

That thing will still be sitting there in five years.

Looks like you were right, but at least it wasn't another 6.
vansprinkle
AG
TexAg1987 said:

So it is in CS?

Yes sir. Well, once it gets back from the shop in Houston it will be in CS.
MyTexasCarGuy
AG
Great thread
Jaydoug
TX AG 88
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.