2008 BMW 5-Series Thoughts?

32,947 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mookie
Snow Monkey Ambassador
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't normally post over here, but I'm considering buying a 2008 BMW 5-Series in the near future and would like your thoughts.

I think I would prefer the 535i (mostly because of the turbo), but I've read that there have been ongoing problems with the fuel system (mostly) and engine (here and there). Given the fact that internet reviews generally come from the problem cases, I don't know exactly how important the issues with the 535i should be in making my decision. The 528i, on the other hand, seems to get nothing but praise from everyone, with nary a mention of engine problems.

Now, the car will be used primarily (read: pretty much only) for commuting to work and driving around town. I'm not exactly a speed demon anymore, but the idea of having the twin-turbo is just so damn appealing, so I'm having a hard time coming to a decision. What thoughts do you, the great Technorati of TexAgs, have on this? What other general thoughts do you have on the 5-series in general and/or bimmers specifically (other than that they differ from porcupines in that the porcupine's *****s are on the outside)?

Thanks.
BigPuma
AG
CPO w/ warranty
SpicewoodAg
AG
I really think the Infiniti M35 is a better car in general and likely to be less expensive to keep running. Supposedly the fuel pump issue with the turbo is finally fixed. I find little reason to pay the price of a 528i when it has just 230 hp. The 535i is a different story with its power, but the price is even higher.

The M35 is surprisingly quick, exceptionally comfortable, and very good handling. The ergonomics of the M35 is hands down better.

We own a 2007 M35.
CATAGBQ04
AG
DEF CPO with warranty no matter what you do.

The 535i is a great driving car with the TT engine...from what I understand the last generation of replacement pumps are holding up and BMW keeps extending the warranty to cover them.

Things to consider with the 535i:

1. Cost of tires (will need higher perf ones)
2. Fuel mileage (will be more or less lower)
3. Insurance might be a smidge more
4. More expensive up front cost

Now given what you have posted I honestly think you would be happier with the 528 in the long run.

OR take a gander at a M35/45...I agree with Spice, those are vary nice too.

[This message has been edited by CATAGBQ04 (edited 1/13/2011 10:51a).]
rononeill
wait till next year and try the A6 3.0T for less. i posted the same predicament a few weeks ago. the 535i is a sick sick bada$$ car that i would totally underutilize - but yes, it would be a cool feeling to know its capable. thats whats helping me hang on to my accord - knowing its capable....
HouseDivided06
AG
Second the M35 or heck, even the G35. The interior of the G is about as roomie as a 5 series BMW, and the engine is more, not to mention the engine in the G or M will be bigger. The M is a bigger car but still has plenty of pep and will ride smoother than the G. Not to mention, any kind of maintenance on a Japanese car will be less than German.
sts7049
AG
i think the M35/45 looks a heck of a lot better than the BMW, also
slaughter710
I have a friend that has a 2005 545 and it is a total disaster. The car is fast as hell and handles really tight, but is a maintenance and reliability NIGHTMARE. The car has 65K and he has had fuel delivery issues, transmission failure and countless other sensors that have failed and unending electrical problems. Luckily, he has the extended warranty.I would be willing to bet his dealership has billed BMW for over $25K in warranty work since he has owned the car. That being said, I know very little about what they have done to remedy any of the gliches in newer models, so I can't really speak to that.
KY AG
AG
BMW extended the warranty on the HPFP up to 120,000 miles on all N54s and N55s. If you have a problem with the pump, they'll fix it. But results are mixed if even their replacement pump has fixed the problem.

Thus, caveat emptor.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/12/class-action-suit-alleges-bmw-n54-turbo-engine-unsafe-causes-un/

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362614

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=8c5d62e2b08652566bba3b32531d3e21&t=327300
aTm papi
manual transmission

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002
mcrews
I third the Infiniti M series.

I have 2002 Q45 340hp (but a 2.87 rear gear)
the M45 have same 340hp but 3.XX rear gear.
the M35 (which I am given as a loaner when the Q45 is in the shop is very quick and peppy handles well. IMHO, is a little more 'buzzy' than the 45. the final rpm at 65mph seem to be in the 2300 range where the 45 is closer to 18-1900.
btw, I have 225,000 mile on the 02Q45. only major part replaced is the driver side exhaust header was leaking. seems to be some what common. very tight with the starter squeezed in there. I run an oil report every 6 months and the wear is almost nil. The o2, 03, 04 4.5Liter motors liked to drink a little oil. but it's the nature of the beast.
JRS04
I have never understood the BMW hate on this board....but maybe I have just had good luck. I have had nothing but fantastic luck with BMW. I bought a CPO 3 Series and my parents have owned 2 new 5 Series (a 2002 and a 2011) without a single problem. My neighbor drove a 2001 745i with over 200K miles on it until it was totaled by a rear end colision a few months ago.

My car curently has 60K miles on it and the only mechanical failure I have had has been my door lock actuators failing. If you buy a CPO with the extended service plan you wont have to pay a penny for anything right down to the windshield wipers for 100K miles! If you plan to keep the car past 100K miles, it may get expensive but there are a ton of german garages that work on them for half of the price of the dealer when out of warranty.
Tires were a B#$%% at first with the runflats and non runflat bridgestones lasting only 8-10K miles, but I switched to Michelin Pilot Sports and now have 16K miles on them and plenty of tread.

I bought an 06 330i instead of a 2007 335i becuase of the fuel pump issue, but I think they came out with a recall on all turbo models a few months ago. I think that an M35 will loose its value over 5 years much more than a 5 series.
CATAGBQ04
AG
quote:
Michelin Pilot Sports and now have 16K miles on them and plenty of tread.

I thought you already wore them out...did you get that taken care of?
SpicewoodAg
AG
JRS04 - Edmunds says the 5 year depreciation loss for a 2008 528i is $14,587. A 2008 M35 loses $14,600 over five years. The depreciation difference is negligible.

M35

528i
NeuroticAg
AG
Buy the 535i, throw a juicebox in there and you have a fantastic car.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I've owned two 5-series (550 and an M5) and a 3-series and have not had a bad experience with any of them. I'll say that the 3-series has less maintenance needs than a 5-series does, but it does help to DIY some of your own routine/easy maintenance if you can. Whoever said to find an independent mechanic was spot on. The dealer will charge out the nose for silly repairs. For example, the dealer wanted to charge me $700 to replace the rubber weatherstripping seal between the windshield and the roof line, but I changed it myself for $50 (part from bav auto) and about 20 minutes of my time. I actually called the dealership GM afterward to tell him that I would think a lot harder about buying a $100K car the next time from him if his service department pulled those kinds of stunts.

The 5 series is pretty much bullet proof as long as you treat it well and get the maintenance done on time. The brakes are f-ing expensive, but you shouldn't have to replace the assembly very often. Tires in the 550/M5 are insanely expensive ($500+ each) and only last about 20K miles, but you shouldn't own a car like that if you can't afford what comes with it. You could certainly put cheaper tires on it, but it will diminish the reasons that you bought the car.

In summary: if you are a DIY nothing type of person, don't buy a 5 series without expecting to pay a lot for even the most minor repairs. If you're even remotely mechanically adept and willing to do basic repairs, then I would encourage anyone to own one. Believe it or not, BMWs are really easy to work on if you have the time and inclination to do so. The engine/drive train are pretty much bullet proof, but if you drive the hell out of it, you'll have to pay for it one way or another.

I would personally suggest the 535. The 528 is a rip off because its underpowered, but the 535 strikes a good balance, plus you can buy a juice box to get more out of it. A 550i gets 16-17 MPG at best, and I'm lucky to get 11 MPG in the M5. It's irritating to have to fill up 1-2 times per week when you're driving it like a grandma, but as they say, 500 HP doesn't come cheap.
JRS04
SpicewoodAg - I saw similar numbers on KBB but it just seems like when I look at ebay or dealership websites, the same year BMW is always much higher, unless it has over 100K miles, which the kills the value of both.

The Michelin PS have been fantastic! I would highly recommend them for BMWs. I will never buy another tire that is not a Michelin / BFG product. The bridgestones would show cords at 8-10K miles, the Michelins havent even hit the middle wear bar at 16K miles. I think their sidewalls are a lot stiffer.

To the OP. I dont think ANYONE buys a BMW for practicality reasons. People buy them becuase nothing else drives like them. All of the other luxury cars feel squishy to me, Bimmers feel heavy yet a incredibly agile they are the only manufacture in my opionion that truely makes a sports sedan where you feel like you are in a sports car and forget about the seats and doors behind you. Buy a CPO, the money you save up front is going to right back to someone for repairs or maintenance. Pull the service records on a CPO, some are clean and like every other manufacture some have problems. Their service is first class, and if your car is ever in the shop for any reason they always have provided me a rental free of charge.
Spaceball 1
AG
POOP SLAP
Texags is garbage
POOP SLAP
BCO07
AG
Pay up poop slap
DeWrecking Crew
I bet you a Poop Slap, that the Yokohamas are better than those Michelins
JOHN2010
AG
POOP SLAP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
POOP SLAP, JRS04! You made a bet, be a man
Pignorant
AG
Poop Slap!!!
BigMoneyTxAg
POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP
SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

Be a real man!
Who is John Galt?
IT SLAPS THE POOP ON IT'S FACE!!!
meatpossum
AG
I'd rather slap my face with poop than buy a bmw...
CATAGBQ04
AG
What the hell just happened?
bsilvia15
POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
Brat86
AG
You can run but you can't hide...Poop Slapper
Pure Genius
We lookin for you, we gone find you!
Captain Caveman
AG
Poop Slap! Poop Slapper in a bimmer!
texasrebel89
POOP SLAP POOP SLAP POOOP SLAP POOOOOOOOP SLAP POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
treebranch
POOP SLAP!!!! Don't turn into another welcher like "Hurin"!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
For those of you wondering:

JRS04 said if we won out and wen't 9-3 to end the season, he would slap himself in the face with his own feces and post the video on youtube.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.