Is the additional tire warranty at Discount Tire worth it?

71,003 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by TMoney2007
khkman22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About to buy some tires and am just wondering if it is worth the $92 for the free replacement of an unrepairable tire.

The tires I'm looking at are about $150 a piece, and I've never had an unrepairable tire. I did get a patchable puncture on one of my tires with the current set, but that was covered under their standard warranty anyway. Plus, I just read that the additional warranty is only good for 3 years and I plan to have the new tires for 6-7 years, or the life of my truck, since they are 60,000 mile tires.

Most warranties are seen as a waste of money, so just curious to how people view this warranty and any reasoning for or against it. I am pretty sure I got the warranty the last set of tires I bought there, but I'm thinking that I should pass this time.
CanyonAg77
AG
City truck or real pickup? "P" tires or "LT" tires?

If you're headed off road, I'd consider it. If you are using "P" tires, I'd consider it. If you are using "P" tires on dirt roads, I'd 100% get it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Heres what their "Certificates" fine print say.

quote:

Why incur an additional cost for the replacement of a tire damaged as a result of a road hazard or manufacturer defect when you can get it replaced at no additional cost to you?
Over twenty-eight years ago Discount Tire/America's Tire responded to a very clear customer demand: offer a customer-friendly tire replacement program. At that time, our standard warranty was much the same as everybody's-just like today-based on prorating according to wear. So, we decided to innovate. How about offering a certificate which may be purchased at a reasonable price, that would provide for a replacement tire at no additional charge, regardless of wear down to the legal tread depth?

This warranty, called the Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement, would cover the tire problems that really frustrate people-road hazards and defects-from the moment they bought the tires to the final mile of legal tread depth (3/32" ). Ever hit something in the road that ruins your tire? Or how about a tire that becomes defective? Who cares about why this happened? You just want a new tire put on with no hassles. Right? Right! So we tried it.

Well, here we are tens of thousands of replacement tires later, and our Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement program is still doing its job. It serves hundreds of thousands of satisfied Discount Tire/America's Tire customers who have repeatedly thanked us for this part of our service by asking to renew each time they buy tires.

How Does It Work?
If a tire covered by the Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement fails due to a defect or an unrepairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32" ) remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, Discount Tire/America's Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase the same new or comparable tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of.

How to Purchase the Certificate
At the point of sale, we will ask if you want to purchase the Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement for your tires. If you decline at that time, you still have 30 days from the date of purchase to buy the certificate. Remember, the sooner you buy, the sooner you are covered by the best program in the business.

How to Redeem the Certificate
1. The easiest way is to return to the store where you bought the tire, validate the Certificate, receive a refund and purchase a replacement tire if you choose to do so.
2. Alternatively, you can go to any of our other retail outlets and they will quickly validate the Certificate and you may receive your refund and purchase a replacement tire if you choose to do so.
3. If you have relocated to an area where there is no Discount Tire/America's Tire outlet, contact Consumer Affairs at 888.774.6560 and a representative will facilitate your tire replacement.
4. If you are traveling, call 888.774.6560 and you will either be directed to the nearest Discount/America's Tire location or given an alternate solution for your tire refund or replacement.

Conditions and Exclusions
Non-commercial service includes use by the owner in his/her regular trade or business but excludes commercial truck, racing, off-the-highway, taxi, limousine, or similar service. Passenger, SUV or light truck tire road hazard warranty (if applicable) does not apply to tires used on commercial trucks, recreational vehicles or off-the-highway service. Mileage warranty (if applicable) applies only to tire's original purchaser on the car, SUV or light truck on which originally installed. These warranties do not cover tire damage, destruction or failure from fire, vandalism, or accident, irregular or premature tread wear caused by improper inflation, misalignment, or imbalance of wheels, worn out shock absorbers or brakes, damage or failure due to other non-tire causes such as being run flat, mechanical condition of vehicle, cut from rim or chains, or any willful abuse. A tire is not adjustable for problems of appearance after the first 10% of wear. All Certificates expire three (3) years from the date of purchase or at such time that the tire has less than the legal tread depth (3/32" ) across the tread, whichever first occurs. Terms of manufacturers' warranties may differ.

These limited warranties are the exclusive warranties of Discount Tire or America's Tire stores, are in addition to the warranties of the manufacturer, and set forth the exclusive remedies available to the tire user. Discount Tire or America's Tire stores shall not be liable for any consequential, special or contingent damages or expenses arising directly or indirectly and no company representative may enlarge or alter the terms of the Certificate.

[This message has been edited by 1agswitchin4lanes (edited 10/18/2010 11:46a).]
khkman22
AG
Silverado 1500 with P tires and 99% city/highway driving. No offroading or dirt roads in general. Maybe once a year I will drive them through the pasture in the hill country when deer hunting, but that's about it. Any other dirt/pasture driving is pretty much none or nothing of significance.

[This message has been edited by khkman22 (edited 10/18/2010 12:02p).]
sts7049
AG
guess it just depends on how lucky you feel.

i always buy them, and it's always managed to pay for itself.
CanyonAg77
AG
You're probably okay with "P" tires and 99% city, especially if you seldom or never trailer or carry a load.

My experience with "P" tires (came on pickup) and 20% highway, 80% dirt roads is they were all toast by 30,000 miles.

Just take it slow on the 1% of the time you are off road.
CATAGBQ04
AG
I like how the rubber will come off in chunks
The Fife
I've always gotten it, but there has been a LOT of construction in San Antonio for the last however many years now. I average a nonrepairable flat per year, per car.
big ben
AG
i get witb every set and it finally paid off when my tire literally blew apart in may just north of houston
csp97
I guarantee you Discount Tire knows how much to charge to make money off this warranty. It might pay this time it might not, but if he buys the additional warranty enough times the average Joe ends up giving money to Discount Tire.
EMY92
AG
The last time I bought tires, I got the warranty for the first time. I drive onto many construction sites, I figured that it is only a matter of time before I get some rebar spearing a tire.
The Fife
quote:
The last time I bought tires, I got the warranty for the first time. I drive onto many construction sites, I figured that it is only a matter of time before I get some rebar spearing a tire.

Pretty much - that's why I recommend it to anyone living in SA for instance. The whole city is a construction site. I've lost track of how many drywall and wood screws I've run over. I'm up to 2 or 3 tires out of one set replaced for free that I would've had to pay for so far. But if there's not a lot of construction around it's probably not worth it.
1876er
AG
quote:
i get witb every set and it finally paid off when my tire literally blew apart in may just north of houston

Everybody always says their extended warranties pay for themselves, but the companies still manage to make money off of them. Does not compute.
AgResearch
AG
quote:
Everybody always says their extended warranties pay for themselves, but the companies still manage to make money off of them. Does not compute.

Bingo!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
What 1876er said.

quote:
Tire Road Hazard programs have proven value. They provide your customer with valuable protection, while giving you, as a tire retailer, a consistent source of revenue from plan sales and claim fulfillment.

With the Automotive Business Solutions' Nationwide Road Hazard Plan, you get the "next generation" in road hazard programs.

Our plan features:

* Free tire replacement through 33% tread wear
* No up-front investment - you pay after you sell
* Easy, flat-rate pricing
* Convenient online plan registration and claim filing

[This message has been edited by 1agswitchin4lanes (edited 10/20/2010 9:36a).]
TMoney2007
AG
Its insurance... Do we not all know how it works?
mm98
AG
this topic came up a while back and i stood behind my decision to get the warranties. then i started thinking about when i've actually gotten anything out of them.

in college, when i drove a car with a 13" wheel, i got the road hazards because they were dirt cheap and because i've been known to do stupid things in cars. these always paid for themselves.

now that i'm an adult and i drive 90% on highways, i've probably bought 6-7 pairs in the last 8 years or so and i can only recall 1 situation where they paid off.

TMoney2007
AG
It also depends on what kind of tires you are buying.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.