Discount Tire Certificates - do you buy them?

8,680 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by mm98
Terk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Worth it? I drive about 30K a year, so my truck runs through shoes fairly regularly. but I am about to drop some cash on these...

I have been known to run over rebar from time to time, would that be covered?

[This message has been edited by Terk (edited 4/30/2010 11:39a).]
dubi
AG
I ruined tire and you will come out ahead. We always buy them.

Thorn in sidewall -- new tire
Rebar in highway -- blowout, new tire
Curb in the way of my driving -- new tire

....You get the idea!
wessimo
AG
We don't, but then again I haven't had any problems with tire damage other than a nail every now and then. The cert costs about $30 per tire and a plug to fix a nail hole costs about $10. With that math I'm happy to take my chances.
slappy
AG
I've come out way ahead with them...
TMoney2007
AG
If you buy tires that are even a little expensive and there is construction going on within 50 miles of you... they are worth it.

Look at the cost of a new tire and getting it mounted and balanced, you'll probably find that its worth it.
Aggietaco
AG
I bought them for offroad tires and always came out ahead. Now that I'm out of that scene, I choose to take my business to local shops.
UnderoosAg
AG
I always do, and I've used them many times after catching all kinds of stuff on jobsites.

I've often wondered if they will let you buy just one or two certs if you buy four tires. And wouldn't you know it, the tire with the 3" screw in the sidewall was one of the two!!
Vero143
Always get em.
inozips
AG
Never buy 'em, just take the warranty. Did just cut a new runflat down on 290 coming into Houston $25 to replace.
SD_71
AG
Always get them. With what tires cost it makes it well worth it for me. I had bought tires about 6k ago and went in for a rotate and balance, two would not balance well (a lot of weight) so they gave me two new tires. That is hard to beat.
AG
I did and tried to use it once. It was cheaper to buy a new tire from a competitor than to pay the pro rated price and repurchase the certs.
BrazosDog02
AG
I always buy them. Ive used them with no problems or questions asked.

Last thing was a piece of metal about 1" long in the tire. They looked at the tire and said since it goes across through the belt, they can't fix it, I have a certs....new tire, no problem.

Totally worth it. This tire is slightly newer, so when I get new ones all the way around, Ill cycle it to the spare.
wessimo
AG
For the people who think these are a great deal - do you also buy extended warranties at best buy?
SD_71
AG
Wessimo, slightly different deal. If your drop your laptop and drive over it your warranty from the manufacture or Best Buy won't help much. If you have certificates from Discount they don't care how you do it, you get a new tire..
pnut02
AG
Around Houston it's worth it to have the certs. I've had a number of tires that were un-patchable driving around town. I'm definitely on the better end of the deal...

And no, I don't buy the extended warranties at BB.
EMY92
AG
I bought them for the first time on the last set of tires. I drive on to jobsites frequently, and figure that something is going to ruin one.
mm98
AG
quote:
For the people who think these are a great deal - do you also buy extended warranties at best buy?

As SD said above, this situation is much different. First, Discount never haggles over the situation that caused the blowout trying to find an out. They replace it no questions asked. They don’t give you a refurbished laptop with broken parts and try to convince you it is as good as new. Second, and more importantly, your tires are in a much more hazardous environment and anything can happen. I always buy the replacement warranties and have probably used them 6 or 7 times since in the 17 years I’ve been driving.
Terk
AG
I'm pretty sure that something is going to happen to these tires, something ALWAYS happens to my tires. Nails, rebar, mesquite...
pnut02
AG
This happened just last week...

[This message has been edited by pnut02 (edited 5/4/2010 11:07a).]
CATAGBQ04
AG
Plug it and keep rollin
aTm papi
if it's an expensive tire, then yes.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002
b.blauser
AG
When I owned cars, I would buy them often. But the tires from Discount Tire Company seemed to wear quickly. Someone told me that Discount gets them cheaper because they're made from a softer rubber, which makes them wear quicker.

Goodyear is much more expensive for the same tire because their tire is made from a harder rubber, thus it wears longer & you get more mileage for the purchase. Even though it has the same label, Goodyear allows Discount manufacturer to use a lesser rubber.

Or so I'm told. FWIW.
mm98
AG

Not picking on you Blauser but I think whoever told you that is severely misinformed. That applies for certain series only.

For example, the Yokohama 520 (I think that is the correct series) is Discount’s tire to sell exclusively, but not all Yokos sold at Discount fall under that exclusive right and manufacturing process. And not all Goodyears use a quality rubber…their OEM Integrity series is really poor quality, but they aren’t mfg’ed specifically for Discount resale. They’re sold anywhere. It really varies from brand to brand.

Even Michelin makes some crappy OEs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.