Favorite Cen-Tex restaurants that are now CLOSED

23,368 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by JerryHughesYourDaddy
JCO 90'
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are some of your favorite Cen-Tex restaurants that are no longer open?

One I really liked in Waco that was right off Interstate 35 (not far from Baylor) was Tanglewood Farms. The food they served was kind of like what the Cracker Barrel offers, but I think it was better (at least when the restaurant was at its prime). They also didn't have the store like Cracker Barrel.
I can remember eating there quite a few times in the mid and late 1980s, and the food was almost always good, no matter what you ordered. They had a great chicken-fried steak. The rolls/biscuits were also something to look forward to.
I'm not sure why the place closed (it happened during the seven years I lived away from the Waco area), but I heard it had gone downhill a bit.
People have told me Tanglewood used to have a line stretching outside the door sometimes for breakfast, but I only ate their for lunch or supper.
20ags08
AG
Bobby's Burgers- belton
3 William 56
AG
The one that closed, but is now back open is Taiwan Dragon in downtown killeen. GREATEST fried rice in the world. Yea, I said it...THE ENTIRE WORLD. It burned down around the time all the soliders were deploying overseas. Finally back up about 10 to 12 months later...I cried both times
Daveintx
Big Daddy's burger joint on Baylor campus...Also used to be fairly partial growing up with Po Folks (now Johnny Carinos), but I was a kid then, so the food couldv'e been horrible for all I know
jdf00
Chuck's in Milano -

no question

kjaneway
AG
Agree on Chuck's in Milano.

The OLD Tex Miller's Hamburgers (when Tex was alive) - downtown Cameron.
The best....ever.
JCO 90'
AG
I never ate at Big Daddy's, but one of my co-workers came back from there with carry-out once and it smelled fantastic (the burger and fries basket).

I remember Po Folks. It was a pretty good. I used to eat there back in the mid to late 1980s, and they had an all-you-can-eat chicken-fried steak deal that my friends and I really liked.

There was also a cafe in the shopping center at the corner of Bosque and Valley Mills in Waco (Sunset Cafe?) that had KILLER chicken-fried steaks. When it closed, Pancho's opened there (now it's some sushi place).

One place I'd forgotten about: When we first moved to Waco about 1973, there was a restaurant on Valley Mills Drive called Shakey's Pizza that was prettty good (at least to a 6-year-old!). But it was nowhere near as good as Poppa Rolla's, which THANKFULLY is still open.
JCO 90'
AG
I also liked the Slo Pokes barbecue joint in downtown Waco. There was a TV at almost every table and the food was good. I always had good service when I went there, too. I can't understand how they went out of business, but Damon's, located in the Waco Hilton, has stayed open.
We waited more than a hour for our food there last time I went (and there were only a handful of other people eating there). The food at Damon's wasn't any good, and it was severely overpriced. I would have taken Slo Pokes over Damon's any day.

[This message has been edited by JCO 90' (edited 1/27/2006 11:00a).]
CjAg
AG
Taco Torch, yes a long time ago. I think it was pre-Taco Bell.
retta13
AG
The Turkey Shop, Abbott, TX.
TXAGBQ76
AG
wow-Taco Torch! does that bring memories of the old Waco High School downtown. Once we moved to the 19th Street location (first graduating class), it wasn't as conventient to the Torch.
BBallAggie06
AG
Snappy Tomoato's Pizza....anybody remember that? It was actually inside a convenience store!
Daveintx
I know this isn't a closed restaurant, but I saw this weekend where when they start re-doing the old K-Mart that we are getting a Double Daves!!!!
Birddog 99
AG
has anybody been to the new bbq place next to the old chucks in milan?

p.s we still got pea ridge here in temple owned by chuck but not nearly as good as chucks itself
kjaneway
AG
The Chucks at Pea Ridge is awful, which is a shame since it's virtually around the corner from my house.

Awful place.
agbanker75
Nalley's Handy Chef (34th & Brookview), Community Kitchen (Parklake) and Ira's (Waco Dr.).....all 70's vintage in Waco
Birddog 99
AG
where u live janag81 - i'm out in morgans pt

[This message has been edited by Birddog 99 (edited 1/31/2006 12:08p).]
JCO 90'
AG
Ã…h, Taco Torch. The one on North Valley Mills Drive in Waco used to have a flame burning out front (they probably turned it off when the place closed for the night). I remember they decided to cut off the flame for a while during the 1973 Arab-Israeli war because of oil embargo threats and the concern about extra fuel costs.

Hewitt had a few burger joints that closed, including Juniors off Hewitt Drive and a place called The Juntion or The Crossing (late 1970s) at Warren Avenue and Hewitt Drive. And they recently closed Captain Billy Whizzbangs, which was a shame.

There was also a decent steak place on North Valley Mills called Western Sizzlin that was almost always crowded in the late 1970s. I think they closed sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

I also remember when there was an A&W restaurant on North Valley Mills across from KRZI (Wendy's took that spot about 25 years ago). What was cool about that A&W was that you sat in your car (like Sonic) and they'd bring out your root beer in a frosty mug — at least for adults. Kids were stuck with a paper cup.
maestro1
AG
leslie's chicken shack
localag88
I second (or third) Chuck's in Milano. Anybody remember Andy's in Rockdale? I think it closed in the seventies, but when I was a kid, they had awesome food.
kjaneway
AG
Andy's had the BIGGEST chicken fried steaks...ever.

That was a great place to eat, even if it was in Rockdale.
BohunkAg
AG
Another vote for Leslie's chicken shack!
BohunkAg
AG
Podzie's in West too.
Tex Ag 81
AG
El cha cho Temple in the 70's
BBallAggie06
AG
Leslie's was terrible! That place gives me bad memories of fried chicken! If you want good chicken, go to Bush's!!
Daveintx
Pardon me for saying so, but in my honest opinion Bush's is over-rated and over priced as well....
Hello Newman
Doyle Phillip's in Temple
Coach Mac
I miss Paddington's Pizza in Temple off the Loop at 31st Street. It may not have been that great but I was only about 7 or 8 yrs old at the time and loved their pizza back then.

Learn as if you were to live forever....
Live as if you were die tomorrow.....
- John Wooden
agbanker75
I'm unanimous about Paddington's.....forgot all about it.
12thManNo11
Avel's in Bosqueville
JerryHughesYourDaddy
Bert's hamburgers on hewitt dr and valley mills. Godfather's pizza that used to be by weiners and sac N save.
BlueAg2003
AG
Turkey Shop in Abbott Texas WILL BE OPEN AGAIN soon, my grandparents (mom's side) LOVE the place, my wife loves their turkey salad sandwiches, I love all the food there (obviously why I have a weight problem). I think my grandparents said within six months, that was at christmas time.
BlueAg2003
AG
When was Podzies in West open?
maestro1
AG
the turkey shop is the ut of restaurants. overrated.

[This message has been edited by maestro1 (edited 2/12/2006 9:20a).]
3rd Generation Ag
AG
It's funny because we love that same Chucks that Jan hates. To each his own. It has great chicken fried steak, wonderful bacon chese burgers, and I like the catfish on Friday. It is not a barbeque place though--I think the mainly kept it in the name because the old Pea Ridge was just a barbeque place.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.