Favorite Cen-Tex restaurants that are now CLOSED

23,648 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by JerryHughesYourDaddy
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
When was Podzies in West open?

Podzie's was in the log cabin where Adair's was later. Open from late 80s through mid to early 90s probably.
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
the turkey shop is the ut of restaurants. overrated.

Don't know when you went, but the Turkey Shop had gone downhill in the last few years it was open. I went near the end and it was just plain bad.
Kolache Snob
AG
Charcoal Drive Inn....Temple!

Great Burgers!
JerryHughesYourDaddy
I was drving down Lake Air Dr yesterday and remembered Oso Burrito. Did anoyone besides me like that place?
JCO 90'
AG
AllDay AP, I never went to Oso Burrito. How do they compare to Taco Torch or Taco Bell?
A friend had bigtime digestive problems after eating at Oso, so that scared me off from trying the place.
BohunkAg
AG
Oso is still open in Lacy Lakeview I believe.
JerryHughesYourDaddy
Oso was a little different than the Torch or Taco Bell. They had some huge burritos that you built by ingredient and was priced accordingly. Personally, I enjoyed taco torch a lot more, but I liked Oso the few times I went. They opened up a place across from Midway at the old Taco Torch, but by the time I made it to high school, it was long gone. I think its a window tinting place now, maybe called Cool Shades or something like that.

[This message has been edited by AllDayAP (edited 2/20/2006 4:42p).]
Birddog 99
AG
Man I forgot about the Charcoal Drive In. That has been a day or two ago. Dont even remember where it was. Moved to temple in '76 when I was 2 and remember so many places to eat that are not around anymore.
- someone already mentioned Paddingtons - I learned to play Pacman there and Journey had a game too, first time I ever saw a big screen tv was there
- Picadilly (replaced by Cotton Patch)
- Giovani's (in the mall and a stand alone)
- The Twin Caboose over off the loop by where Bum's is and back when Bums was Giovani's and then G. Willie's
- Midway Junction (now a mexican joint)
- Red Ranger - out east of town
- Chuck E. Cheese
- corn dog place in the mall
- What-a-burger in the mall w/ the saddles kids could sit on
- The seafood place where Cactus Jacks is now and Market St. used to be (cant remember the name)
- Hole in the Wall (hambuger joint on Central in Belton)
- River Forest Buffet in Belton
- Western Sizzler - off the loop in front of where S&W pharmacy is (old Wal-Mart, even older Gibson's)
-- I'll shut up now.
agbanker75
birddog, you named some great places.....

Charcoal was on E. Adams....casualty of the overpass that was built a few years ago.....the owner, Chuck Houston, was a fine gentleman....
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Loved the Charcoal. Just the small as you drove by made you hungry.
JerryHughesYourDaddy
Dude, Chuck E Cheese is back in Waco unless it closed in the last few months.

I was fond of Godfather's pizza back in the day.

[This message has been edited by AllDayAP (edited 2/24/2006 11:40p).]
StephenvilleAg77
Thurman's Kitchen in Stephenville.

Best home-cooking restaurant in the world while it lasted.
Hello Newman
Mulligans had a good bar and was a good place to hang out in the mid-80s.
Daveintx
Bonanzas where the jewelry place now is on Valley Mills by the McDonalds.
Josh_Ag99
AG
Zios in Austin, TX. Best bread with the oil dipping sauce, spicy chicken alfredo with fried fettuccini noodles on top, five cheese alfredo....mmmmmmmm....mmmmmmmmmmm....

Why you gots ta close down????
Scorebook
AG
Another vote for Avel's.
ADG03
I didn't know Bobby's Burgers closed down.
CCAD AG
Another vote for Leslie's Chicken Shack. Not because of the food, I don't ever remember eating there. Back in the early 70s, when I was in grade school/junior high, that's where we would meet my uncle coming down from Dallas. He has had 4 tickets on the third row of the second deck, north 45 yard line, for some time. If he had extras, on his way down, he would call on his "car phone" (really amazing for that time) and we would meet him "at the Chicken Shack". Amazing to go from Dave South on my Dad's transistor to live with great seats in about 45 minutes!

Now for good fried chicken, Youngblood's on Franklin (around 35th if I remember) comes to mind. White tablecloths, Sunday noontime after church; great memories.
JMH
AG
Chuck's in Milano. For real. Damn divorces will ruin even the greatest of simple things in a small town.
CDiem05
AG
Big League Burgers. The best burgers and incredibly cheap.
piag94
AG
there was a Freebirds type resturant downtown Waco that was called Baja Burrito. Good food
fossil_ag
AG
I do not know if it is open now or not ... over the years I have heard it was closed, reopened, closed, etc. But in the era of 50-55 years ago the favorite place of all traveling Ags was the Elite (pronounced EE-Lite) Cafe at the Circle in Waco. Sunday afternoon and early evenings were its big times as Ags hitchhiking in from west Texas, the Panhandle, and north Texas converged for a basket of fried chicken, hot biscuits and honey. It was the location of the Aggie Line for all thumb travelers and on the route of all Ags fortunate enough to have cars.
emmalou
"Pardon me for saying so, but in my honest opinion Bush's is over-rated and over priced as well...."

Have you ever been to Bush's? You can feed an entire family for $.42.

And missing Slo Pokes? I used to work there...they microwaved steaks...I'm surprised they didn't get shut down before they closed. I do miss Schooner's though. You can't beat $2 you call it's on Friday and Saturday nights.

East Dallas Ag
AG
^
|
|
|
Talkin' s*#t!
JerryHughesYourDaddy
slo pokes was good if you knew someone that worked there and could hook you up.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.