Belton has cured racism

2,847 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mazzag
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://ktemnews.com/belton-to-rename-confederate-park/
Quote:

Confederate Park in Belton will be getting a new name.

Belton City Council will formally discuss a name change to both Confederate Park and Confederate Park Drive at their next meeting which is scheduled for Tuesday, July 28.

KXXV Channel 25 is reporting that the City's Parks Board will be putting together a 10-person committee to help decide on the name change.

Read More: Belton to Rename Confederate Park | https://ktemnews.com/belton-to-rename-confederate-park/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
Well we can scratch that one off the to do list.
mazzag
AG
I thought it was cured when the UMHB bridge to 121 was named after MLKjr?
templeton
if you thought racism was cured, you definitely weren't at the public comments of the city council meeting.
ProgN
templeton said:

if you thought racism was cured, you definitely weren't at the public comments of the city council meeting.
Sarcasm brother.
templeton
Haha I'm aware.

Maybe I've got baggage from the politics board, but my general sense is that the average texags poster believes we live in a post-racial society. Those meetings were sobering proof otherwise.
JAW3336
AG
You do realize that every human is racist right?

There are wildly different levels but it is human nature.
templeton
yes, most definitely.

I think most posters would disagree. that's my point.
Captain Pablo
AG
templeton said:

Haha I'm aware.

Maybe I've got baggage from the politics board, but my general sense is that the average texags poster believes we live in a post-racial society. Those meetings were sobering proof otherwise.

What happened at the meeting?
c-jags
Captain Pablo said:

templeton said:

Haha I'm aware.

What happened at the meeting?

I would wager a bunch of people talked about heritage and how important remembering history was.

Not to bring too much of F16 over here, but to Templeton's comments, I think most people want to think they live in a post-race world and just go about their day. Right or wrong, I don't think many are clinging to confederate statues because they want to purposely stoke racial fires, but their defense of things like that can come off poorly to people that rightly or wrongly are hurt or offended by the presence and memory of something that is obviously controversial.

I don't care about any statue or the name of a park that much, and while I am not big on tearing down history ( even our bad parts of history that are important to remember and learn from,) hearing others opinions is sometimes hard. I pridefully think I'm on the right side of every argument, and templeton, my wife, or a host of others can assure that is not true.

While I do care about our history, good and bad, and I'm generally against taking down confederate statues due to the unneeded antagonism from both sides, my patriotism isn't defined by whether a statue exists or is renamed. More than that, my faith and hope (and hopefully a lot of other posters') isn't founded in America or statues.

Just trying for a middle of the road post. Wish you all well.
mazzag
AG
TBH, I never knew it was actually named "Confederate Park" it's just what it's been referred to my whole life. And that's once a year during the 4th of July carnival. I think I'm one of two on this thread that can say we're lifetime Beltonians. If we're racist to oppose a name change that we've heard for 47 years so be it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.