Know anyone with COVID?

4,291 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GIF Reactor
GIF Reactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just curious if you guys actually know anyone who has had or has COVID. Thankfully I don't know anyone first hand; just a friend of a friend. I'm hoping it stays that way. And I wish you all continued health.

I wonder if in the cases of community spread, if they are able to isolate the source,or just know that because the infected person hasn't knowingly been around another infected person.
HollywoodBQ
AG
First hand - NO. Not a single person. And I know A LOT of people.

I suspect I might have had it in early February just before I went to Waco for my dad's surgery.
I'll be back to comment if I test positive for the antibody because... it would have some interesting implications for Waco (regarding lack of contagiousness).
EMY92
AG
I have a neighbor that had it. The couple went on a cruise, the cruise ended about the time the Diamond Princess was blowing up. They immediately got on a second 2 week cruise. That cruise ended up lasting about 6 weeks.

All were tested leaving the ship and supposedly all were negative. Upon returning home, the health department asked them to self quarantine. A week later they tested positive. They spent the next 4 or 5 weeks isolated in their home. Didn't have any severe symptoms.
The Grinder (99)
AG
I have two family members that had it and recovered. A niece in San Antonio and a sister in law in Houston.

No idea how the niece got it. She's 10 and no one else in her household had symptoms prior to or after. This was at least two weeks into a lockdown that her parents abided by as well as possible. She was sick but never too too bad. Had high fever, cough and couldn't sleep well.

SIL had to go to a doctors appointment several days before she got it. She thinks that's the most likely way she contacted it. Interestingly, no one else in that household got it Either (at least no symptoms). She had pretty bad symptoms and was having increasingly worse breathing. On day 7 she went to the Hospital and was admitted over night. Sent home on oxygen the h by next day. She said that made a World of difference.
BohunkAg
AG
My niece and her husband in Dallas had it. They thought they had it and later took the antibody test and discovered they did. They are in their 30s and healthy so they were fine.
mazzag
AG
Nope. Not first hand. Small argument with a couple of local nurses tonight about our nursing homes vs NY nursing homes. We have quite a few in the temple area, assisted living, rehab, The Meridian, etc..."But NY is more dense" was their argument. But senior living is senior living was mine. They're convinced a second wave will happen and NO school for the spring semester. At all.

Damn, I take that back. My daughter's friend's brother had it. He's 14 with one lung, one kidney, and recent treatment for liver cancer. Went to McLane Children's, with his mom. After a few days, went on antibiotics, a few days later, both sent home for 21 days of quarantine. The whole family went to the coast last week.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Update - myself
December 2020, Los Angeles County
Spoiler alert, I survived
GIF Reactor
AG
I have it. It has been brutal and no walk in the park. There are many more facets to this, including the isolation and the worry about work.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

I have it. It has been brutal and no walk in the park. There are many more facets to this, including the isolation and the worry about work.
Isolation wasn't a problem for me because I never did it. I didn't figure out that I might have COVID until Day 23. I was well past the contagious stage by then.

Work wasn't a problem either because my company gave us something like 8 days off for Christmas so the worst part of the sickness was during my time off.

The worst experience of this ordeal has been other people treating me like a leper when I tell them I had COVID. Even though I'm weeks or even months past the contagious stage, people want to limit their interaction, wear a mask and keep their distance.

I can only begin to imagine how people with AIDS get treated.
BohunkAg
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Update - myself
December 2020, Los Angeles County
Spoiler alert, I survived
I had it too in December. Unfortunately for all of you, I survived too
c-jags
HollywoodBQ said:

Electrical_Ag said:

Isolation wasn't a problem for me because I never did it. I didn't figure out that I might have COVID until Day 23. I was well past the contagious stage by then.

Work wasn't a problem either because my company gave us something like 8 days off for Christmas so the worst part of the sickness was during my time off.

The worst experience of this ordeal has been other people treating me like a leper when I tell them I had COVID. Even though I'm weeks or even months past the contagious stage, people want to limit their interaction, wear a mask and keep their distance.

I can only begin to imagine how people with AIDS get treated.
obviously i am not belittling anybody who's lost a loved one or making light of that, but the social stigma of having it, or even being quarantined to contact tracing has some very negative mental effects as well that are really untracked or minimalized.

my family has had 4 separate quarantines due to primary contact and nobody has caught it (that we know of,) but some people have been very hands off even after we came out of quarantine. And i respect that, for their safety and their loved ones' safety, but it really does have an effect on you coming out of catching it or being qurantined.
BohunkAg
AG
I'm not trying to make light of what you are saying, c-jags, I'm really not.....but I kind of find it a blessing if no one wants anything to do with me or my family.....and by the way, the people that are treating you guys like that are dumbasses. Like they should hole up in their houses for another couple years. But that's just me...living with someone who has been on the front lines for a year and me being very close to it in my job.
c-jags
There were some who were a little sketchy about it and some who were great.

Some friends that my boys are close with were VERY COVID sensitive really did their best to maintain their distance while still trying to socialize safely and let the kids get together and I appreciated it.

I didn't quite have the same concern but they were respectful about it.

Some others gave it a few weeks that was fine and I got it but it can make you feel like a bit of a pariah.

I'm sad that Abbot just saying we aren't requiring masks any more is going to be such a tinder box again. He's not outlawing them, just saying the state isn't going to make you wear them any more. Whole thing just has stupid stigmas that shouldn't be there.
BohunkAg
AG
I will tell you when it was announced yesterday, my wife told me my boys were worried...like OMG we are all going to get COVID (again) now. That sort of thinking didn't come from my wife or I. It's sort of indoctrinated in the culture now and impressed in the younger generation...conform or else. Which is kind of sad. I understand the need under certain circumstances for the mandates, etc., but all the scare tactics in the media, from the government and the rest are having a negative effect on our most vulnerable people, like the kids and the elderly. That's what I don't like about all of this.

And man, you see it on social media...the reaction to this. It's either the best thing that's ever happened or it's the end of the world and we are all going to die and Abbott is a murderer. Well no, it's none of those. I just don't get what has happened to people's ability to critically think and evaluate things for themselves. Instead they read and regurgitate talking points that are laid out by whatever pundit they follow on the Internet. It's insane.

c-jags
Quote:

And man, you see it on social media...the reaction to this. It's either the best thing that's ever happened or it's the end of the world and we are all going to die and Abbott is a murderer. Well no, it's none of those. I just don't get what has happened to people's ability to critically think and evaluate things for themselves. Instead they read and regurgitate talking points that are laid out by whatever pundit they follow on the Internet. It's insane.

Yeah.

The whole "is Abbot lifting mask mandates" thread on the C19 board is a microcosm of that.

3GA was a long time poster in this board and mentioned that no masks made her second guess a trip to the grocery store. and while I don't share her concerns, I get it. People were being extremely dismissive of her concerns.

Half of the people in that thread are "haha you lose coronabros" and half are "it's too soon and Abbot is going to kill people"

I consider myself extremely conservative and hate all these mandates but I also love all of God's children and think we need to be a bit more graceful. there has to be room for for some people in the middle of the road about this, but it's either spike the football or grovel in despair on social media and most threads.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BohunkAg said:

I just don't get what has happened to people's ability to critically think and evaluate things for themselves. Instead they read and regurgitate talking points that are laid out by whatever pundit they follow on the Internet. It's insane.
Yep. It's like all of a sudden everybody (especially younger people) skipped science classes from 5th-12th grade.
GIF Reactor
AG
Maybe the covid is clouding my brain. Can you expand on your think critically statement and how folks must be ignoring 5th thru 12 science?
c-jags
Electrical_Ag said:

Maybe the covid is clouding my brain. Can you expand on your think critically statement and how folks must be ignoring 5th thru 12 science?
i don't want to speak for others, but i take it as, knowing risks, understanding how viruses spread, what news is honest, what news is not honest, understanding how masks are helpful, and how they are not helpful, etc.

i am not a scientist and do not pretend to know all the ins and outs of virology or epidemiology. i'm not going to tell a scientist/doctor that they're wrong about fields they know more than me about. i'm not smart enough to make huge arguments against masks and say they don't work, just because i don't like them. they of course work and i'm going to listen to the experts on that.

however, i am smart enough to know that outside of spittle, coughs, and sneezes, a cloth mask isn't stopping much. i know that i am much more likely to catch the virus being around somebody for an extended period of time than walking around HEB. i understand that lifting a mask mandate doesn't mean that masks are outlawed and Abbot is ordering everybody to fill to 100% immediately. you may disagree with any of those and that's fine.

I think the "critical thinking" comes from people who read a headline and just running with that without being able to analyze the information involved.

eta: sorry it's your turn on the covid merry go round bud. praying it's mild and you're on the mend soon.
BohunkAg
AG
My wife has been on the very front lines of this for a year. It's somewhere in between "Covid is flu and it's nothing" and "we need to lock ourselves in our homes and wear masks for the remainder of time." No one wants to hear that because these days everyone wants to be right and wants everyone else to be wrong.
GIF Reactor
AG
My 2 cents - it's too soon in the vaccination cycle to open everything up to 100%. Vaccines are still hard to get. One can't simply schedule a time and date to get it. So why do this now? It feels purely political.
Honestly, I am viewing this thru a different lens after having my butt really, really kicked by this. I'm praying my trend is moving in the positive direction now, but it has been a struggle. I know several folks who didn't have more than a bad day or two with this, but it's not that way for everyone. I think it is tough for a business to have to enforce a mandate to wear a mask on their own. HEB couldn't get 100% compliance; you'd still see someone strutting around like a peacock , seemingly looking for confrontation. So what's my point? Putting the responsibility down on the businesses is okay, and letting them decide on occupancy percentage is also fine. But I don't know how they will be able to enforce any restrictions, if they want them, when the state says that's your problem. Maybe it won't really be an issue, but I envision a lot of the good old boys saying, "it's over", I'm not wearing a mask any longer. And I worry that, in conjuction with higher occupancy, will lead to more spread, and more illness. And the suffering with this is real.
GIF Reactor
AG
c-jags said:

Electrical_Ag said:

i don't want to speak for others, but i take it as, knowing risks, understanding how viruses spread, what news is honest, what news is not honest, understanding how masks are helpful, and how they are not helpful, etc.

i am not a scientist and do not pretend to know all the ins and outs of virology or epidemiology. i'm not going to tell a scientist/doctor that they're wrong about fields they know more than me about. i'm not smart enough to make huge arguments against masks and say they don't work, just because i don't like them. they of course work and i'm going to listen to the experts on that.

however, i am smart enough to know that outside of spittle, coughs, and sneezes, a cloth mask isn't stopping much. i know that i am much more likely to catch the virus being around somebody for an extended period of time than walking around HEB. i understand that lifting a mask mandate doesn't mean that masks are outlawed and Abbot is ordering everybody to fill to 100% immediately. you may disagree with any of those and that's fine.

I think the "critical thinking" comes from people who read a headline and just running with that without being able to analyze the information involved.

eta: sorry it's your turn on the covid merry go round bud. praying it's mild and you're on the mend soon.

Thank you. I'm praying I'm on the upswing now, thank the Lord. Not without his grace.
BohunkAg
AG
I'm not sure when this became "wait until everyone became vaccinated" though.....
BohunkAg
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

My 2 cents - it's too soon in the vaccination cycle to open everything up to 100%. Vaccines are still hard to get. One can't simply schedule a time and date to get it. So why do this now? It feels purely political.
Honestly, I am viewing this thru a different lens after having my butt really, really kicked by this. I'm praying my trend is moving in the positive direction now, but it has been a struggle. I know several folks who didn't have more than a bad day or two with this, but it's not that way for everyone. I think it is tough for a business to have to enforce a mandate to wear a mask on their own. HEB couldn't get 100% compliance; you'd still see someone strutting around like a peacock , seemingly looking for confrontation. So what's my point? Putting the responsibility down on the businesses is okay, and letting them decide on occupancy percentage is also fine. But I don't know how they will be able to enforce any restrictions, if they want them, when the state says that's your problem. Maybe it won't really be an issue, but I envision a lot of the good old boys saying, "it's over", I'm not wearing a mask any longer. And I worry that, in conjuction with higher occupancy, will lead to more spread, and more illness. And the suffering with this is real.
Also, saying a prayer for you buddy.
GIF Reactor
AG
Thanks. I'm on the mend for sure, but it was a long ordeal. I appreciate the prayers.
GIF Reactor
AG
BohunkAg said:

I'm not sure when this became "wait until everyone became vaccinated" though.....

Queue up the Senor Chang "I'll allow it" gif from Community
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.