Helberg BBQ in Waco

4,399 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BohunkAg
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They just opened a new brick and mortar in the old space occupied by Valley Mills Winery out in Speegleville. Went for lunch today. HO-LEE FLIPPING SHEET. The brisket was amazing. Had a really good beer mustard type sauce you could get with it. And a street corn salad that was to die for. Apparently they make their own sausage too. Very cool ambiance too.

I have been a devotee of Honky Tonk Kid since he was a truck on Valley Mills (had a great Cuban Sandwich there yesterday), and will continue to be. But with him, Guess, and Helberg, Waco has become such a legitimate BBQ town now...it's so great.
EMY92
AG
I may have to give it a try.

I had my usual Friday meal at Guess today.

I love having access to good BBQ without having to travel 100 miles.
Terry Hathaway
Went to Helberg a couple of weeks ago and it was incredible. The brisket was perfect and they had a turkey sandwich that was delicious.
Flash02
Helberg is the real deal and great people as well. Get out there.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Sadly, this got posted a couple days after I left Waco on my last visit. Guess I'll have to go back.
washburn321
AG
Took the family a few weeks ago. Brisket was the best I've had in Waco and I enjoy HTK and Guess as well. They also have some really different options every week like Zwieback for breakfast and pastrami beef cheeks. The sides were stellar as well. Did I mention they have free beer?

If you're downtown, go check them out at Pinewood Coffee Bar on Austin Ave. as well. You'll have to fight the Baylor students during the year, but right now is probably the perfect time with everyone gone.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Just had lunch with my dad at Helberg's by FM185 & Hwy 6. The brisket was absolutely amazing.

They must make their own pickles because they were a little different.

I had a Gouda + Poblano sausage that was OK. I should have gone with the plain beef instead.
The sides are gigantic so, definitely share those with somebody.

It was plenty busy at lunch today. Thanks for the recommendation.

Looks like they're getting some critical acclaim too.
Vegas-aggie
AG
I just now saw this thread.
I went there 2 weeks ago and bought

2 lbs ribs
1 lb burnt ends
1 lb brisket
1 lb sausage

I liked all of it and I'll definately go back.
Bulldog73
AG
Went there again and it didn't disappoint. Saturdays they have free beer, homemade bread, and pork steaks. Can't complain about any of it.
TshirtVulture
So what's the latest on this place? Still a winner? I heard it nay have changed hands but that was through questionable second hand talk.
BohunkAg
AG
Phillip and his wife still own it as far as I know. I went right before the shutdown and they were there.
Bulldog73
AG
Phillip still answers a lot of questions on their business page via his personal account, especially about operations through Covid, so I assume he's still there on the day to day. Several months back, he was there talking to the guy from Flores right after he got out of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if they talked about the risk/reward of taking on investors.

I don't know if the Flores truck is still going on in FW, but he's back in Whitney selling pork brisket fat tortillas and no longer involved with the BBQ. It also looks like this past weekend, they did some whole brisket sales as well.

Corrected based on Flash's information.
c-jags
4 AM post on the CenTex board?

Somebody else got woke up by the storm.
EMY92
AG
4 am and thinking about BBQ, life could be worse.
Bulldog73
AG
Yep, the storm was really loud. How my little one who wakes up when we sneeze while they're asleep two rooms over, yet sleeps through that will never cease to amaze me.
Flash02
It's brisket fat. Not pork. And delicious. He's opening a tortilla factory in Whitney.
Bulldog73
AG
Yep, you're right. I corrected that.
BohunkAg
AG
KXXV had a story on them...Phillip is still mentioned.

https://www.kxxv.com/open/helberg-barbecue-continues-creating-great-bbq-even-through-a-pandemic
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.