Bell county tax appraisals

5,532 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by c-jags
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll repeat here what I posted on my page...

Did chip and Joanna Gaines move to bisd!

Because values are going up. Post you're bail county increases.

And advise to protest...
mazzag
AG
$40k... it's just right there at 10% legal limit. F them. And that Williamson county chief appraiser bell county hired.
mazzag
AG
Worthless lots in MPR triples. I say worthless because they're single lots and of you live here, any idiot knows you have to have at least 2 MPR lots to build on. So just one is worthless. Thanks Georgetown. You got any more ikea jobs ...
petey88

I like to slam the Gaines, was talking to my brother in law yesterday.

He said altho it was earlier, they didn't pay their contractors. Said they paid quickly to the guys that popular on TV, but screwed the rest.

They deserve a special place in hell.

Waco
c-jags
petey88 said:

I like to slam the Gaines, was talking to my brother in law yesterday.

He said altho it was earlier, they didn't pay their contractors. Said they paid quickly to the guys that popular on TV, but screwed the rest.

They deserve a special place in hell.

Waco

I've heard very differently. And I'm no giant fan of them but my personal contacts have said they're good people. Can't speak to the past indescretions but not what I've heard today.

And regarding property taxes, mine went up 5% for no good reason this year.
petey88

homeless ministries say they are not
COSCAG67
AG
43% increase over the last 2-3 yrs, most of this increase was this yr
Tube
mazzag said:

Worthless lots in MPR triples. I say worthless because they're single lots and of you live here, any idiot knows you have to have at least 2 MPR lots to build on. So just one is worthless. Thanks Georgetown. You got any more ikea jobs ...
My wife owns a worthless lot in MPR. Value went from $500 to $4,000 this year. If we could sell for 1k today we would.
mazzag
AG
That's why folks need to protest. This Wilco guy doesn't understand this area. I'll slightly agree that some home/land values aren't where they should be but there's not a whole lot you can do with 1 lot in MPR.
And I've seen some homes on the market that aren't for sale for much more than what they were purchased for 10 years ago, brand new, from the builder.
petey88

My brother told me his went up $10,000 with no improvements
c-jags
petey88 said:

My brother told me his went up $10,000 with no improvements

That's highly disputable. There's no justification for that much increase unless he was just getting away with murder beforehand.

Last year mine went up a decent bit but we added a 15x30 covered patio. Wasn't worth it to me to dispute that. No outside visible improvements this year other than I got a better mower.
mazzag
AG
Several homes on Zillow as "New Listings". Probably just a coincidence.
petey88

Well, I believe my brother. Gaines property plus another large corporation are nearby, enough that the baylro kids have invaded the neighborhood.

He's about done with Waco anyway, bought land in another state. Just taking time to finish existing contracts and shut down.

I'm just passing through for a couple of days, headed to an ACL taping tonight, loose ends in Houston, then hopefully my investor is ready to meet up in Big Bend.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
what is mpr?
mazzag
AG
Morgan's Point Resort
petey88

I think it's funny that waco is finally getting the imports to ruin the town like the rest of the state.

18 years ago when I managed an Ace Hatdware in the Hill Country, some lady from San Francisco wanted poison to kill the deer. She started yelling at me when I suggested chicken wire to keep them out of the landscaping.

She sold her SF house, bought two in Lakeway. Called us morons.

In the last two weeks since returning from Pensacola, I've been through Beaumont, College Station, Lake Travis, Belton, Temple. waco, San Antonio and Corpus/Port Aransas. It all sucks with traffic and rude people.

Have fun with it.
BohunkAg
AG
petey88 said:

I think it's funny that waco is finally getting the imports to ruin the town like the rest of the state.

18 years ago when I managed an Ace Hatdware in the Hill Country, some lady from San Francisco wanted poison to kill the deer. She started yelling at me when I suggested chicken wire to keep them out of the landscaping.

In the last two weeks since returning from Pensacola, I've been through Beaumont, College Station, Lake Travis, Belton, Temple. waco, San Antonio and Corpus/Port Aransas. It all sucks with traffic and rude people.

Have fun with it.
You should probably keep driving then. You seem like a miserable ***** anyway.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Why are single lots not available to build on? I don't understand that.
mazzag
AG
It's mandatory to build on at least 2 lots because it's mandatory to use an aerobic septic system. They don't allow conventional any more. At least I think that's the reason.
c-jags
mazzag,

not to link things to the zoo 2.0 but....

interesting. i'm assuming that everybody statewide had some major issues with landvalue increases this year.

not to get in to any left/right arguments here, but one of the reasons that Texas has been able to stay so competitive in today's landscape is that our big tax gainer is property taxes and not sales or a state income tax.

hence... i can have a very low tax burden if i choose to live below my means. i have a 100k house i bought in northside 10 years ago and my annual property tax will make my Belton friends cry at how low it is. whenever my wife gets the inkling to move out to west Temple, i ask her to talk to our friends living in that area and how much their mortgage is.

the one thing that i like about Texas' tax structure is that you get to have a say in how much you're paying in taxes. don't want to pay a lot? don't buy a huge house and keep your expenditures low. other states don't afford their tax payers that option.
mazzag
AG
c-jags said:

mazzag,

not to link things to the zoo 2.0 but....

interesting. i'm assuming that everybody statewide had some major issues with landvalue increases this year.

not to get in to any left/right arguments here, but one of the reasons that Texas has been able to stay so competitive in today's landscape is that our big tax gainer is property taxes and not sales or a state income tax.

hence... i can have a very low tax burden if i choose to live below my means. i have a 100k house i bought in northside 10 years ago and my annual property tax will make my Belton friends cry at how low it is. whenever my wife gets the inkling to move out to west Temple, i ask her to talk to our friends living in that area and how much their mortgage is.

the one thing that i like about Texas' tax structure is that you get to have a say in how much you're paying in taxes. don't want to pay a lot? don't buy a huge house and keep your expenditures low. other states don't afford their tax payers that option.

I wish I could find the article, but Texas is the third highest property tax state, based on '17/'18 values, behind Illinois and New Jersey. We built our house about 12 years ago, so since it wasn't a real estate transaction, the county based our value on similar homes with 6 acres. The value increases every year but never this much at once.
I do feel bad for folks that buy their home and budget their payments based on whatever the current taxable value is. A home in Sage Meadows, an older West Adams neighborhood, had a value increase of $15k. I'm guessing the owners don't live above their means, but that's probably a $40/month increase based on our horrible school taxes and whatever they pay to the city of Temple, county, TC, etc...
The cost to live is West Temple is not worth it, IMO.
A friends home and 50 acres In Salado went from $600k to $1.1million. Another's went from &400k to $700k. If they weren't living above their means before, they are now. (Both homes were custom built)
As long as folks from OOS continue to overspend for land and homes, it'll become less and less affordable for folks to live here.
petey88
BohunkAg said:

petey88 said:

Have fun with it.
You should probably keep driving then. You seem like a miserable ***** anyway.

I'm happy you're happy bo.

To me you don't seem it, posting all day long sitting at home.

BTW, I'm at Duddley's having a beer
Gardening Ag

West Belton out of city limits. My structure and improved market value went up $6M. All our unimproved lots stayed the same.

The Grinder (99)
AG
I live in west temple. Last year I decided to protest my increase. It was based on the fact that I had my house listed about 18 months earlier and it wouldn't sell for the amount they now appraised it at.

Ultimately they didn't change anything and kept the appraisal same. This year however my house value dropped 2k but the land value went up 6k.

I wonder if my protest helped me get "the next call" on the house value. Either way it's still going up.

This year we did a pretty big renovation on the interior. The city shouldn't know about it as no permits we required and nothing is visible from outside. But I know if my appraisal goes up a lot next year they'll ask about improvements so now I won't be able to say no.

The taxes are becoming a bigger issue. I have a good friend that moved out of town and a nekghythat moved out of state. Both cited property taxes as their biggest reason. The friend sends kids to private school and the neighbor is a retired couple that never had kids. The retired couple complained about taxes with so much of it going towards school.
mazzag
AG
The Grinder (99) said:

I live in west temple. Last year I decided to protest my increase. It was based on the fact that I had my house listed about 18 months earlier and it wouldn't sell for the amount they now appraised it at.

Ultimately they didn't change anything and kept the appraisal same. This year however my house value dropped 2k but the land value went up 6k.

I wonder if my protest helped me get "the next call" on the house value. Either way it's still going up.

This year we did a pretty big renovation on the interior. The city shouldn't know about it as no permits we required and nothing is visible from outside. But I know if my appraisal goes up a lot next year they'll ask about improvements so now I won't be able to say no.

The taxes are becoming a bigger issue. I have a good friend that moved out of town and a nekghythat moved out of state. Both cited property taxes as their biggest reason. The friend sends kids to private school and the neighbor is a retired couple that never had kids. The retired couple complained about taxes with so much of it going towards school.

From what I've seen, land got hammered. I have 6 acres BUT all 6 are part of my homestead so...the county is stuck with a 10% increase per year. I don't like it but it could be worse. I did not protest. I've got 2 years until my daughter graduates then #imouttahere.

Do what you want inside. County appraisers cannot enter your home. Improvements are exterior (like a new roof, pool, outdoor kitchen) or additions. Just your exterior property. And if they could, what the hail do they know. Are they the Gaines? Real estate appraisers in the area are ignorant to interiors. Truly.

When we have 2 half capacity high schools in 4 years, with sheety UIL teams, y'all will wonder wtf are we paying almost the state max in school taxes?
mazzag
AG
But this is bad news for municipalities and good news for me.

https://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/news/local_news/bill-ending-forced-annexation-becomes-law/article_fcb8b541-5674-52ab-906f-1ee8edc7e7d0.html
ord89
AG
Glad to see this. It comes about 3 years too late for me. Leander incorporated us. They had a hearing where NOBODY supported the annexation and then voted. Property taxes tripled over night. Criminal...
Ord89
mazzag
AG
I hate hearing that. I'm relieved because I've seen Belton's "Future" road plans and I would've been annexed. Plus they thought about it over 12 years ago but folks more powerful than me quickly shut it down. One of those folks has passed. It's sad the families they've disregarded for whatever gains the Councilmembers have gotten. I'm so glad this law passed.
c-jags
Bump. They finally got me. I've been flying under the radar for my house at 75k for the last 10 years and paying waaaaaaaaayyyyy less in taxes than my Belton brothers and sisters.

Jumped me to 105k. Houses smaller than mine with less updates are going for 130-140k right now on my street.

Unfortunately I can't fight it because we're looking to do some construction and I need it to be appraised higher.
JAW3336
AG
ord89 said:

Glad to see this. It comes about 3 years too late for me. Leander incorporated us. They had a hearing where NOBODY supported the annexation and then voted. Property taxes tripled over night. Criminal...
tripled? really?
c-jags
JAW3336 said:

ord89 said:

tripled? really?

A friend of mine (an independent appraiser ironically) had his parents property increase $250k. Not TO $250k. $250k on top of current appraisal.
TshirtVulture
I was pretty upset about ours going up $40,000 till I read that last post! Was that in Bell County?
c-jags
In Belton.

I'm not on social media, but my wife said Facebook people were in an uproar over it today. I'm sure there will be some fights coming up. Bell County said there will be no in person contests so that will be a poop storm.
ag0207
AG
I received my notice of appraisal yesterday and my value increased 70,000 this year. It's criminal what they are doing.
templeton
21.4% increase after a 19.1% increase last year (was proposed as a 31% increase, but we protested).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.