Connection to I35 between Temple and Belton?

3,639 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Captain Pablo
jpb1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question, I am looking for some feedback from local residents about the need/desire for another outlet to IH35 between Temple and Belton.

I thought there was more discussion in this forum on it, but only found a comment or 2 in the IH35 Construction thread.

Someone in that thread mentioned the need for Sparta or Lake Rd to continue to IH35. Not sure if that is possible, but something being planned right now is to connect Old Waco Road to IH35 near Twin City Blvd. Another upcoming improvement will be to reconstruct Poison Oak (and also Hogan Rd) to directly connect 317 to Old Waco.

I need some feedback on the desire for this from local residents. Funding is needed, especially to get all of this done in a timely manner, so any public pressure would help in getting that done.

I thought putting this in its own thread could help get the discussion started.

TIA!

Spane Bohem

3rd Generation Ag
AG
I know I have moved, but what is really needed is an extension of the road by Belton high school on the north all the way to 35. When I was in Temple and wanting to go to the Belton Walmart/HEB, both of which are far superior to the ones in Temple, you had to either go all the way down to the street by the Baptist church and then head back north, or take the road by Riverside and cut through residential and that still only brough you out north of the overpass. There is no good way from North Belton to Temple.
jpb1999
AG
Thanks 3rd!

That would be Lake Rd, and very likely not ever going to happen as it would be crossing residential, then a bridge over the river, and from Belton, through the county, then into Temple.

Poison Oak Rd is only 1 main road to the north, then that would connect to Old Waco, that would then connect to IH35.

The planned Old Waco to I-35 connection is will likely be the only new connection to 35. Hogan will eventually go all the way to Old Waco as well, and may one day extend all the way to Kegley. This Old Waco to 35 connection will be a major relief point from N Belton and West Temple to 35.

BTW, Kegley is about to be completely redone as well all the way to 35.

Does all of that make sense?

Great feedback, thanks for posting!

Spane Bohem

mazzag
AG
Twin city already connects to Charter Oak, how is it going to connect to Old Waco?
jpb1999
AG
A new road will be built to connect the two roads. Old Waco, south of Poison Oak, will curve back to the east and fly over Charter Oak and connect to 35. I'll see if I can post a map here in a bit.

Spane Bohem

HollywoodBQ
AG
A map would definitely help.
317 to FM 2483 to FM 2271to FM 439
& 317 to I-35 do what I need to get done in Belton.

The only way it could be better is if 317 was an elevated section over Belton from about Lake Rd to meet up with 35. Similar to what they've done with the bypass for NASA Rd 1 in Clear Lake.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
There is a road from near the south end of what i think of as Hilliard that goes all the way to the underpass on the old highway before the interstate. It has a number of low water crossings. If that road is upgraded and connected to 317 directly it might help.

And yes I am one of those persons who gives directions by landmarks. That is simply how my mind works.
c-jags
3rd Generation Ag said:

There is a road from near the south end of what i think of as Hilliard that goes all the way to the underpass on the old highway before the interstate. It has a number of low water crossings. If that road is upgraded and connected to 317 directly it might help.

And yes I am one of those persons who gives directions by landmarks. That is simply how my mind works.
i think you're referring to Kegley. right by Stripes/Bush's/Sonic. that goes past Wildflower, into come back country and intersects to Charter Oaks that comes out on 35 right by a Valero and the Motor Mile.

I think what the OP is asking for is for this to become a straighter line.

I'd be in favor of it. Living in North Temple and having a lot of friends and activities in Belton is a headache. Obviously it's the life we've chosen and i'm not complaining, but i'd love a straighter shot to lake road or sparta road.

for now i'll just be happy when 35 is finished next spring. fingers crossed.
jpb1999
AG
http://tx-temple3.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/27218/2018-TCIP-91018

This link is the TCIP plan and shows the Poison Oak improved route and the southernmost phase of Old Waco/Outer Loop that connects to I-35.

Not sure if the pic will work:
I removed the pic because was making my phone slow down/crash.

Spane Bohem

3rd Generation Ag
AG
Not Kegley. The road next to the walmart. You do down it about three or four miles and there is a road to the eft that goes all the way to the underpass on the highway that was there before the interstate. It does have several low water crossing
Captain Pablo
AG
jpb1999 said:

Thanks 3rd!

That would be Lake Rd, and very likely not ever going to happen as it would be crossing residential, then a bridge over the river, and from Belton, through the county, then into Temple.

Poison Oak Rd is only 1 main road to the north, then that would connect to Old Waco, that would then connect to IH35.

The planned Old Waco to I-35 connection is will likely be the only new connection to 35. Hogan will eventually go all the way to Old Waco as well, and may one day extend all the way to Kegley. This Old Waco to 35 connection will be a major relief point from N Belton and West Temple to 35.

BTW, Kegley is about to be completely redone as well all the way to 35.

Does all of that make sense?

Great feedback, thanks for posting!

It was me

I am the one that has been yammering for years about the need for Sparta to connect Main and I-35

If you are in a position to facilitate this, you will be right up there with Abraham Lincoln, Ben Franklin, and Ronald Reagan in terms of great Americans
Captain Pablo
AG
Poison Oak and Old Waco to I-35 won't help Belton people much at all

And it won't help Temple people much who need to go to places like Christ the King, Belton High, Beltin Church of Christ, or S&W on Main

But yay for the West Temple people, I guess
mazzag
AG
The City of Belton has a lot of Future road projects planned and a couple directly affect me, which is why I'm suspicious of giving my water company an extra 15' easement. Most of their plans make no sense but I guess it makes sense to plan for the future. And get approval from the Texags Central Texas board . I doubt most of these roads happen. I'd love for the dam to dam road to happen but not at the expense of property owners.
Tube
I think I mentioned on the I35 thread that a connection from 317 to 35 on the poison oak alignment would be very helpful. North Belton people would have an alternative to getting to 35 that doesn't involve going south. The new developments in that area will have an easy path to get to north Belton to spend money, and they have a way to 35 that avoids Adams or winding back roads.
Captain Pablo
AG
Tube said:

I think I mentioned on the I35 thread that a connection from 317 to 35 on the poison oak alignment would be very helpful. North Belton people would have an alternative to getting to 35 that doesn't involve going south. The new developments in that area will have an easy path to get to north Belton to spend money, and they have a way to 35 that avoids Adams or winding back roads.

Poison Oak is too far north and the trek to 35 is too far to be of any benefit to Belton Residents headed to downtown Temple

Sparta from Main to I35 would be great, but is off the table apparently

GIF Reactor
AG
Sparta to I 35 would be great, but now HEB sits in the way. I'd take Lake Road to I-35. That would also obviously be a connection with the future dam to dam road.
Captain Pablo
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

Sparta to I 35 would be great, but now HEB sits in the way. I'd take Lake Road to I-35. That would also obviously be a connection with the future dam to dam road.

Lake Rd would be fine

I use the two interchangeably, unfortunately, so yes Lake Road would be the way to go
Captain Pablo
AG
c-jags said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

i think you're referring to Kegley. right by Stripes/Bush's/Sonic. that goes past Wildflower, into come back country and intersects to Charter Oaks that comes out on 35 right by a Valero and the Motor Mile.

I'd be in favor of it. Living in North Temple and having a lot of friends and activities in Belton is a headache. Obviously it's the life we've chosen and i'm not complaining, but i'd love a straighter shot to lake road or sparta road.

Drove by Poisin oak this morning and Poison oak straight from 317 to interstate 35 would indeed be very helpful. While not as good as Lake Road, it would be a close second. But the proposed route takes a sharp, 90 degree turn to the south and hits I 35 about a mile south of where Kegley and midway hit

That sharp turn south pretty much negates much of the benefit of any 317 to 35 connection
Tube
Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Drove by Poisin oak this morning and Poison oak straight from 317 to interstate 35 would indeed be very helpful. While not as good as Lake Road, it would be a close second. But the proposed route takes a sharp, 90 degree turn to the south and hits I 35 about a mile south of where Kegley and midway hit

That sharp turn south pretty much negates much of the benefit of any 317 to 35 connection

100% agree. Should connect at midway.
jpb1999
AG
mazzag said:

The City of Belton has a lot of Future road projects planned and a couple directly affect me, which is why I'm suspicious of giving my water company an extra 15' easement. Most of their plans make no sense but I guess it makes sense to plan for the future. And get approval from the Texags Central Texas board . I doubt most of these roads happen. I'd love for the dam to dam road to happen but not at the expense of property owners.
Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with Belton, so I have no say/influence on their roads. I do agree Lake Rd to 35 would be nice... although very unlikely because of the river crossing. The Outer Loop / Old Waco connection to 35 would be very near where you would project Lake Rd out if it continued to 35 though.

Spane Bohem

jpb1999
AG
Tube said:

Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Connecting at Midway would increase the traffic there and would be better to have its own 35 connection.

Spane Bohem

jpb1999
AG
Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

What sharp 90 turn are you talking about? The "s-curves" in the existing Poison Oak? Or the curve on the future Outer Loop / Old Waco Rd? The Poison Oak S-Curves get smoothed out when it gets rebuilt.

Spane Bohem

Captain Pablo
AG
jpb1999 said:

Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

What sharp 90 turn are you talking about? The "s-curves" in the existing Poison Oak? Or the curve on the future Outer Loop / Old Waco Rd? The Poison Oak S-Curves get smoothed out when it gets rebuilt.

Future outer loop (poison oak/pepper creek)

On your map

Orange and Brown lines
Captain Pablo
AG
jpb1999 said:

Tube said:

Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Connecting at Midway would increase the traffic there and would be better to have its own 35 connection.

The problem is the connection swings too far south and largely negates any benefit to those wanting to travel NB I-35
mazzag
AG
Whatever will prevent the current parking lot on N 35 and keep folks from taking alternate routes, preventing me from my daily errands.
Captain Pablo
AG
And how's this thing gonna get people north anyway?

Is this just new access to South bound I-35? (which is NOT the main problem)

Getting from Belton to Georgetown and Austin is not the problem

Getting from north Belton to Downtown Temple, and getting from North Temple to North Belton IS the problem

How does this proposal help that?
jpb1999
AG
The fact is that this is likely the ONLY possible new outlet to 35...

This road will eventually go under 35, maybe even initially if TxDOT moves quickly as well, so yes there will be access to both north and south bound 35.

I guess it could be possible in the future for Belton to extend Lake Rd and connect to Temple's Old Waco / Outer Loop, which could further help out...?

Spane Bohem

Captain Pablo
AG
jpb1999 said:

The fact is that this is likely the ONLY possible new outlet to 35...

This road will eventually go under 35, maybe even initially if TxDOT moves quickly as well, so yes there will be access to both north and south bound 35.

I guess it could be possible in the future for Belton to extend Lake Rd and connect to Temple's Old Waco / Outer Loop, which could further help out...?

OK, that's not bad, as long as it provides access to NB 35, it's better than what we have now

Still think connecting at Midway would be the best alternative to Lake road, but you know more than us about traffic issues
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.