Great BBQ

34,134 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agfan1030
agfan1030
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for really good barbecue in Waco. I heard Guess Family Barbecue with their pop up on Friday and Saturday at Bare Arms Brewery has some great stuff. Anyone tried it yet?
LawCC
AG
Tony DeMararia or Jaspers. The rest isnt real good or even a little good
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
LawCC said:

Tony DeMararia or Jaspers. The rest isnt real good or even a little good

These are the best options... after Demaria or Jasper's, you have a mixture of ok-meh

Uncle dans
Michnas
Rudys
EMY92
AG
There is not good BBQ in Waco.

The latest Texas Monthly top 50 has one from Marlin, but I haven't tried it.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
Michna's is closed.
buckyisking
AG
Do yourself a favor and go to Miller's in Belton.
templeton
buckyisking said:

Do yourself a favor and go to Miller's in Belton.

yep. was just about to post that. the best bbq in waco is in belton. jasper's is fine in a pinch.
washburn321
AG
This guy is only open a couple days a week, but he sells out every day. Located by Vegas Buffet.

https://sites.google.com/site/htkbbq/

I second Millers as the best in the area. I also enjoy Viteks in Waco. Have never had Tony Ds, but word is he sells out every day.
c-jags
I remember going to miller's when dirk and his sons would walk through the restaurant with blood all over them from the taxidermy in the back.
Bulldog73
AG
By no means am I a BBQ expert, but Tony D's is definitely my go to joint in Waco.
Captain Pablo
AG
Haven't seen a good TexAgs "best BBQ" thread in awhile

I don't eat barbecue that often, but I would say that yes, there are two very, very good places in Bell County.

Miller's is very good, and they recently moved into a new building. Still in downtown Belton on Central a couple of blocks east of the old courthouse across from Compass Bank

Schoepf's is also very good, and is also on Central a couple of blocks west of I35.
agfan1030
Finally was able to have bbq at Guess Family Barbecue. Some really good stuff. I understand for now they are at Bare Arms Brewing at the Circle on LaSalle in Waco until they get a perm location. I think they are there Fri/Sat. In looking at their FB reviews here is one. Not including the name of the reviewer but you can go there and see who it is if you wish. Some of you may want to give it a go since you had very little good to say about other nearby locations.

Quote:

This was hands down some of the best BBQ I've had in Texas. I've traveled this whole state, from Snow's to Franklin's. The Brisket I had today had an incredible bark the fat was rendered to near perfection. The sausage was smoked perfectly it had a fattiness to it, but wasn't greasy, the casing snapped perfectly with each bite. The sides were great, loved the potato salad (would have loved to see some more tang in it, but was still great!) the coleslaw was good (honestly I prefer vinegar based coleslaw, but this was still very good.) I didn't get to try the ribs, pork, or chicken, but they all looked and smelled great. I can't wait for them to find a permanent spot so I can eat here weekly. This BBQ easily stands up or exceeds some of the titans of BBQ I've experienced during my travels.

https://www.facebook.com/guessfamilybarbecue/reviews/?ref=page_internal
EMY92
AG
I'm going to have to try a few of these.

If the one off the circle is worthy of being mentioned with Franlin or Snow's, I know that I'll be there weekly. If I could find some ribs as good as Tyler's in Amarillo, I'll never want again.

I will also try the one setting up at Westview Village.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
If it is still open there is a food truck that parks back of the old video store that is now a gym on West Adams that is pretty good in Temple.
BohunkAg
AG
washburn321 said:

This guy is only open a couple days a week, but he sells out every day. Located by Vegas Buffet.

https://sites.google.com/site/htkbbq/

I second Millers as the best in the area. I also enjoy Viteks in Waco. Have never had Tony Ds, but word is he sells out every day.
I was going to suggest this. I went there last week for the first time. Was impressed. Wednesday and Thursdays for lunch only...and he has no tables set up so you are taking out if you go there. Also, dude was wearing an Aggie bracelet so I considered that a plus!
Ag In Ok
AG
If the range is extended to belton the Taylors in Hillsboro is worth a try.
c-jags
3rd Generation Ag said:

If it is still open there is a food truck that parks back of the old video store that is now a gym on West Adams that is pretty good in Temple.

I work out at that gym. Never seen it. But I'm more of a 5 AM guy.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
It was Reed's. That is why I said if it is still there. It always left when sold out so I am never getting home in time to see it. I saw it this summer when I was home all the time.
BohunkAg
AG
BBQ Snob liked it!

BRAVO 1/124CAV
AG
Circle S BBQ Cameron Tx
bigpoppaf204
AG
Drive over to Mexia and eat at Kirby's. He was in the top 50 in TM.
EMY92
AG
Thank you for pointing out Guess Family BBQ!

I've had brisket from almost half of the TM top 50, this brisket is definitely in the top tier of the TM list.

I just finished and I'm already thinking about going back.

shaynew1
AG
bigpoppaf204 said:

Drive over to Mexia and eat at Kirby's. He was in the top 50 in TM.

I abuse kirbys on the reg.
EMY92
AG
The new Top 50 has one from Marlin, too. Whup's Boomerang.

With that, I don't see how one that was rated a 4.75 last year fell off the list this year (Killen's in Pearland).
shaynew1
AG
I stop by whups occasionally but I love kirbys far more.
EMY92
AG
I tried the Honky Tonk Kid BBQ today. I got brisket and ribs, same as what I got at Guess last week.

It was very, very good. So good, that if I had known about them before I found Guess, I would easily call them the best in Waco, but I think Guess is slightly better. Please don't read that as a slight to HTK, it is excellent.
80s Guy
Whups is pretty good
BohunkAg
AG
I got HTK yesterday too....the brisket and pork loin plate. The brisket was excellent....awesome actually....the pork loin was just ok....a little dry, but that's OK...gets a pass. Should've gotten the ribs. The beef ribs looked really good. I got cole slaw as a side...OMG...it was a vinegar cole slaw....tremendous.

Just over and above anything Waco has had in the past in my book.
EMY92
AG
There is no doubt that HTK is better than anything in Waco's past.

I do think Guess is a step above HTK, but that doesn't mean HTK isn't excellent.

I was very skeptical of the facebook review on Guess that mentioned Franklin's and Snow's, I don't know if the brisket is to that level, but it isn't a stretch to be mentioned in the category. It's definitely top 10 brisket in the state.
agfan1030
Today's special....saw on Twitter/instagram.... Interesting..... Hope the link works... beef cheeks and pickles

https://instagr.am/p/BQCIi_qhNul
[url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BQCIi_qhNul/][/url]

Found out Mr. Guess was a bbq chef at Lamberts in Austin for a few years before he ventured out on his own.

From an old link:

Quote:

Specialities

Barbecue, Pork, Pickling

About Reid Guess

Reid Guess runs the kitchen at Austin's "fancy barbecue" joint, Lambert's. At Lambert's, Chef Reid serves classic Texas barbecue dishes with a sophisticated twist. Lambert's has been called "An Austin Landmark" by the Austin Chronicle.

Chef Reid grew up in Texas and was surrounded by the Texas barbecue culture from a young age. His family raised cattle and owned a barbecue restaurant, giving Reid an early start at mastering barbecue techniques. He is passionate about rustic cooking and putting patience, care, and effort into creating the best barbecue.

EMY92
AG
Reid worked with my niece in Austin, so I was talking to him while waiting for my order today.

Today, I just went for brisket...excellent again.

As I was leaving, he walks up to me and told me to try an order of beef cheek. It was the best order of brisket I've ever had in my life. WOW!

We need the Homer Simpson drooling emoticon.
BohunkAg
AG
Went to Guess today and got brisket and ribs. Definitely better than HTK. Very peppery, but wow....flavorful. I need to try the sausage. I see he makes his own. This is definitely something Waco has never had before.....barbecue choice!

Thank goodness I don't have to stomach going to Uncle Dan's any more!
EMY92
AG
Was that you in the 12 hat?
BohunkAg
AG
EMY92 said:

Was that you in the 12 hat?

No but I saw that guy...he was there right before me.
EMY92
AG
We must have missed each other by minutes.

They were finishing up their second order when I left.

It's no lie, you eat some...then you want more of this stuff. It's a good thing they're not open daily. I don't know if I could afford it with the pocketbook or waistline.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.