McClain stadium

4,037 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I always see boats around the stadium for games, but I got a good look at it the other day and couldn't see how boats get through there. Also, never see boats on the Brazos anywhere near I-35. What's up?
Astrobo
AG
What is this McClain Stadium you speak of?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Bidet on the Brazos. They have lots boats around the stadium on game day. They are launched at East Cameron Park further up the Brazos.

You don't see many power boats around the downtown/I-35/Cameron Park area because it is a "No Wake" area, lots of canoes, paddleboards and kayaks though. Most ski boats go north of the Cameron Park East Ramp in the Chalk Bluff area.
Captain Pablo
AG
I have been to exactly one speed boat racing event in my life, and it was on the river below Cameron Park in the 1980's. We watched from the north bank, with that big cliff in the background

Those boats were crazy fast, and loud!
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
I have been to exactly one speed boat racing event in my life, and it was on the river below Cameron Park in the 1980's. We watched from the north bank, with that big cliff in the background

Those boats were crazy fast, and loud!
They still do but I have shut them out the past two years. The don't do well when you are putting massive amounts of water down the river.
petey88

Although it's been a few years ago, I recall someone released a story it was the nation's 8th most polluted river due to the run off of cattle and pigs up river. The Brazos runs a long ways, but to see that dirty brown water, and having fished it decades ago,...it was full of alligator gar, carp, catfish scavengers and water moccasins.

IMO, that was the worst place in waco to put a facility for events.

And, it's McLane Stadium, after Drayton, who didn't really want the name on it as I read at one time.

I wouldn't set foot in that river, or a boat, but's that me.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:

Although it's been a few years ago, I recall someone released a story it was the nation's 8th most polluted river due to the run off of cattle and pigs up river. The Brazos runs a long ways, but to see that dirty brown water, and having fished it decades ago,...it was full of alligator gar, carp, catfish scavengers and water moccasins.

And, it's McLane Stadium, after Drayton, who didn't really want the name on it as I read at one time.

Sorry but you are wrong about the Brazos being polluted. Doesn't even make the list. It is no more or less polluted than any other river in Texas. In regards to dirty brown water, anytime a river has a mud bottom it will be brown. The Brazos is actually very clear above Waco. and yes it is full of river fish.. Name one that isn't.

The only reason it is bad location is that it could be "flushed" if we have to.
Captain Pablo
AG
Arent fish in rivers a good thing?
petey88
quote:
quote:

Sorry but you are wrong about the Brazos being polluted. Doesn't even make the list. It is no more or less polluted than any other river in Texas. In regards to dirty brown water, anytime a river has a mud bottom it will be brown. The Brazos is actually very clear above Waco. and yes it is full of river fish.. Name one that isn't.

The only reason it is bad location is that it could be "flushed" if we have to.
OK, if I am wrong, I can accept that...I know the river is good above, I worked with two developments at Lake Whitney, the other at Possum Kingdom.

Clear water there is because of the naturally existing altitudes and rocks that filter water. As contractors to developers at both sites, I saw it daily

Water moccasins around the dirty brown water of waco are not good, I killed plenty of them out around the Hill/McLennan County line on the Brazos. Wild turkeys grow to a good size out that way.

petey88
quote:
Guess I like trout, stripers, sandies and crappie too much ?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

Trout and sandies? Assuming you are talking about Speckled Trout anf Sand Trout, Those are saltwater fish

You wouldn't expect to find them in ANY freshwater river 300 miles inland, regardless of water clarity... I don't see how such a river can be judged on lack saltwater fish... there aren't any tarpon or red snapper in Lake Fork, so I guess it sucks too?

Crappie are in the Brazos, but yeah, if you want Stripers, better go somewhere else
petey88
quote:
quote:
quote:

Trout and sandies? Assuming you are talking about Speckled Trout anf Sand Trout, Those are saltwater fish

You wouldn't expect to find them in ANY freshwater river 300 miles inland, regardless of water clarity... I don't see how such a river can be judged on lack saltwater fish... there aren't any tarpon or red snapper in Lake Fork, so I guess it sucks too?

Crappie are in the Brazos, but yeah, if you want Stripers, better go somewhere else
I like shrimp too, so can I say they aren't there either ?

Sand bass, rainbow trout. Whitney has stripers

Enjoy the search
Captain Pablo
AG
Outside of a tiny spot in the Guadalupe mountains, rainbow trout are not in any Texas waterways except for winter TPW stocikngs

I have never heard white bass referred to as "sandies", but OK...

Yes, I know Whitney has stripers... didn't deny that
petey88

more later

http://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/hatchery/

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/hatcheries/

Captain Pablo
AG
TPW has hatcheries and stocks waterways

Gosh, what a revelation...
HollywoodBQ
AG
I assumed it was right next to Nakatomi Plaza.

petey88

yeah, I learned in the early 90's, don't get in an internet p*ssing match, one never knows what is out there
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
Outside of a tiny spot in the Guadalupe mountains, rainbow trout are not in any Texas waterways except for winter TPW stocikngs

White Bass AKA Sand Bass..... Sandies.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

White Bass AKA Sand Bass..... Sandies.

Yeah, I know now.... had never heard them called Sandies.... fished the Gulf Coast for 40 years, caught many sand trout, which are frequently refered to as Sandies
petey88

well, my first real fishing partner in 1978 called them that when we fished Cedar Creek Lake. Our company had a lake house there, so we were there almost every weekend. He was the Vice President of the business, I was a kid working in the warehouse part time, helluva bass fisherman. Also a very respected figure in the industry in DFW. President of the trade association, got cancer, died in 1984 at the age of 43.

The association formed a memorial college fund that started out with 7 scholarships. Last I looked, they still give out 8 scholarships in his name.

I've always called them sand bass.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

well, my first real fishing partner in 1978 called them that when we fished Cedar Creek Lake. Our company had a lake house there, so we were there almost every weekend. He was the Vice President of the business, I was a kid working in the warehouse part time, helluva bass fisherman. Also a very respected figure in the industry in DFW. President of the trade association, got cancer, died in 1984 at the age of 43.

The association formed a memorial college fund that started out with 7 scholarships. Last I looked, they still give out 8 scholarships in his name.

I've always called them sand bass.

Naw man, it's Kool and the Gang... I just had never heard that.... apparently I'm the only one.. my bad.

BTW, other than almst drowning there, love Cedar Creek Resevoir
EMY92
AG
As others have posted, there is a boat ramp in Cameron Park East. 6 years ago, the park was renovated and the boat ramps improved.

You can't access the stadium via the Brazos from the south, the low water dam immediately south of the stadium prevents that.
petey88

All good Captain, and thank you for sharing such good info for the rest of us about Cen Tex.

I do value your insight
AggieTJ
AG
I remember fishing it 10-12 years ago, and as we headed up the Brazos we encountered water skiers if you can believe that. It was nice and flat after all, unlike Lake Waco.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
I remember fishing it 10-12 years ago, and as we headed up the Brazos we encountered water skiers if you can believe that. It was nice and flat after all, unlike Lake Waco.
And you will still encounter them there. It is a very good place to ski.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.