That weird city in East Texas

56,051 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Bill Bigfoot
752bro4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taking a poll here - what city/town in East Texas is a little backwards and makes you think everyone from there is weird or strange? You know, that town.

Backstory - Took my wife, a non-East Texan, to a Lee Ann Womack concert last night in Dallas. LAW made reference to her ex-husband, and noted that he was pretty weird, "you know, being from Gilmer and all". It made sense to me, and a few others in the crowd, but it was something I couldn't explain to her. I used the Kelly Wilson murder/cover-up, all the meth and shine that's cooked there, and just generally everyone I've ever come across being different.

So what city is that to you? Gilmer gets my vote.
Stive
AG
Gilmer is DEFINITELY on the list.

Jacksonville
Clarksville
Dekalb
Quinlan
Jasper
Marshall

Those would definitely have high seeds in my bracket. And I concede that most are from the NE section of east Texas but it's what I'm
most familiar with.
RockOn
1. Newton. This place is close to jasper but even worse.
2. Mabank/gun barrel city
3. Alba. Neighboring Golden is okay but Alba people are generally poorer and not right.
4. Delta county. Cooper is the largest town if that says anything.
5. Vidor.
magnumtmp
AG
Big Sandy is where I call home. Between here and Gilmer is Pritchett, so this area has to rank pretty high, but property taxes are cheap!

I'm fine with it because I don't typically like people anyway.
magnumtmp
AG
Oh, and if anyone has any leads on the aforementioned 'shine', please let me know.
Stive
AG
I thought about Pritchett but I'm not sure I'd even count that as a town.

Any town (Pritchett) that has Neighborhood Watch signs that say to watch out for meth labs, qualifies as a wee bit out there.
magnumtmp
AG
Stive said:

I thought about Pritchett but I'm not sure I'd even count that as a town.

Any town (Pritchett) that has Neighborhood Watch signs that say to watch out for meth labs, qualifies as a wee bit out there.

I guess I've missed the signs! Are you serious??!! I actually live in Pleasant Grove, but rarely even travel through Gilmer since I work in Longview.
Stive
AG
Yep. If you're traveling between Big Sandy and Gilmer, coming into Pritchett, you can see one about a 1/4 mile before you get to that old store on the right side (still has a big parking lot but sits empty now). Not sure if there's one coming from the other way.
magnumtmp
AG
Stive said:

Yep. If you're traveling between Big Sandy and Gilmer, coming into Pritchett, you can see one about a 1/4 mile before you get to that old store on the right side (still has a big parking lot but sits empty now). Not sure if there's one coming from the other way.

I'll have to pay more attention!

That store is the old Hewitts Farm Supply, they were there forever, but built the new place closer to Big Sandy....close to the Longhorn BBQ place. I know exactly where you're talking about.
BMach
AG
Gladewater has to make the list. I work with about 10 different people who all live in Gladewater and are all related someway or another.
magnumtmp
AG
BMach said:

Gladewater has to make the list. I work with about 10 different people who all live in Gladewater and are all related someway or another.

Not surprised they are all related. I am surprised they all have jobs....
Dumpster Fire
Troup
Whitehouse
Chapel Hill
ARP
Wills Point
Mineola
Kilgore

If you can't tell, I'm from tyler and everyone else is weird
AsburyAg
AG
Reminds me of the time many years ago when I was a freshman and hanging out in a friend's dorm room. Another friend of hers stops by. In the conversation my friend says, "AsburyAg, you're from somewhere in East Texas, aren't you? My other friend here is, too."

Me: O really? Where are you from?
Her: Athens. You?
Me: Henderson.
Her (irritatingly): Oh.
Me: Why do you say it like that?
Her: Henderson. That's where all the rich snobs live.
Me (Not that I felt this way, but for once in my life, I was equipped with a good comeback): That's all right honey. We figure the only thing that lives in Athens is poor white trash anyway.

Needless to say, our conversation pretty much ended after that.
spud1910
AG
I'm also from Henderson, and can pretty much agree with everything written so far. Definitely agree with Marshall.
jsdaltxag
North of Lufkin, there is an area known as "Allen Town". Everyone that lives there is related to each other if that tells you anything.
JD Shellnut
AG
San Augustine by a country mile. The history of that town is stranger than fiction.
YouBet
AG
Kilgore on this list doesn't make sense. It has a popular junior college and a relatively significant past in comparison to everyone else mentioned. And is essentially a suburb of Longview at this point.

I would agree with Gilmer. Growing up in Longview that was always the town we categorized this way.
Reginald Cousins
S
YouBet said:

Kilgore on this list doesn't make sense. It has a popular junior college and a relatively significant past in comparison to everyone else mentioned. And is essentially a suburb of Longview at this point.

I would agree with Gilmer. Growing up in Longview that was always the town we categorized this way.
Agree. Kilgore is pretty diverse and normalized. But then again I've been here all my life.
ursusguy
AG
Spent most of my summers growing up in Big Sandy, and still get there several times a year. Family reunions are in Latch. Family property is just passed Chalk Hill.

Big Sandy in the 80's was special in it's own way.
Potcake
AG
Isn't all if East Texas that city?

Went to Longview and then Beaumont last week for work. Driving down to Beaumont, I went through a small town, I think it was Huntington, that gave me a headache,from presumably a paper mill. There was also a massive smoke cloud just south of town. The only other place to make me ill was Evadale.

Edited to correct fat thumb misspelling.
magnumtmp
AG
ursusguy said:

Spent most of my summers growing up in Big Sandy, and still get there several times a year. Family reunions are in Latch. Family property is just passed Chalk Hill.

Big Sandy in the 80's was special in it's own way.

Seriously? I live behind the Pleanant Grove fire department just off of FM 1002, and my Grandma lived on FM 1795. Her property was toward Hawkins instead of Gilmer, but that's still just down the road!

Chalk Hill is Red Cedar Road, right? Between 1002 and 1795? That's about a 4 minute ride from my house.
ursusguy
AG
Yeah Chalk Hill is just past the intersection of Red Maple and Red Cedar (I had to look it up, I know Red Maple as Old Rusty Road). Property is closer to 1795. I have family on Tan Oak.

I also spent a lot of time over on 3689 down near the creek. If you know where the old dairy was off Catalpa, that was another relative.

Did you know the Bones family by any chance? I'm going on about 30 year memory, but they would have lived on a 1002 about 1/4 mile from you back to the east.

If you know the house just west of the intersection of Red Maple and 1795, my grandparents owned that house until about 20 years ago.

Yeah, I have to go look for pot and meth labs a couple times a year.
ursusguy
AG
Ok, what I am calling Chalk Hill is now known as Browns Chapel.
DeepEastTxAg
AG
As someone from around the Gilmer area, Pritchett is by far the weirdest imo.
Brock Sampson
AG
Having grown up in Rhonesburo aka the opossum capital of the world I have a good idea of "those" places. You can pretty much group all of Upshur country into this category. Those of us in Gilmer like to think of Gladewater as the Wal-Mart version of Gilmer. The only thing missing is a Yamboree type fair.
magnumtmp
AG
Brock Sampson said:

Having grown up in Rhonesburo aka the opossum capital of the world I have a good idea of "those" places. You can pretty much group all of Upshur country into this category. Those of us in Gilmer like to think of Gladewater as the Wal-Mart version of Gilmer. The only thing missing is a Yamboree type fair.

Give Gladewater some credit.....they have Gusher Days and the Rodeo (actually, the rodeo is top notch). When my Dad sees a tooth-challenged, heavy-girth, no couth female, he has always respectfully refers to them as "Gladewater women."

I always laugh at the Opossum sign there in Rhonesboro. I went with our volunteer fire department up to Rhonesboro when they had the wild fire in 2011 (I think....). My truck keys are still somewhere out in those woods! Pretty bad deal, lots of houses lost.
YouBet
AG
Brock Sampson said:

Funny you mention Rhonesboro. I drove from Quitman to Longview weekend before last and drove through there on the way. Somehow never heard of it growing up in Longview.

Who's freaking mansion is that directly on the north side of 154 overlooking the stair step ponds/lakes across the road?
Brock Sampson
AG
I'm not sure, but I would love to have the land across from Harmony. Some of the best scenery in East Texas.
DeepEastTxAg
AG
Ever since I was a little kid, I've always said that was the most gorgeous spot of land I've ever seen.
gigemhilo
AG
Stive said:

Jacksonville
Clarksville
Dekalb
Quinlan
Jasper
Marshall

Those would definitely have high seeds in my bracket. And I concede that most are from the NE section of east Texas but it's what I'm
most familiar with.

Stive - NO PITTSBURG????

I always think of Pittsburg as the armpit of Texas
Stive
AG
It's an armpit, but I've never thought of the people from there as "weird" nor the feel of the town as "weird".

Those other places I listed just have a different vibe than the world around them....and not in a good way.
Shelton98
AG
Stive said:

Jacksonville
Clarksville
Dekalb
Quinlan
Jasper
Marshall

most familiar with.

I was born and raised about 10 miles east of Dekalb... they may be a little bass ackwards, but good lort they got some pretty girls in that town. Or at least they did in the 90's.
Stive
AG
We're definitely gonna need to get you out more.
Shelton98
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

YouBet said:

Agree. Kilgore is pretty diverse and normalized. But then again I've been here all my life.

I've been in Kilgore for about 15 years..... it's by far the best place I've ever lived... and I've been around a little.
jickyjack1
magnumtmp said:

Brock Sampson said:

Give Gladewater some credit.....they have Gusher Days and the Rodeo (actually, the rodeo is top notch). When my Dad sees a tooth-challenged, heavy-girth, no couth female, he has always respectfully refers to them as "Gladewater women."

I always laugh at the Opossum sign there in Rhonesboro. I went with our volunteer fire department up to Rhonesboro when they had the wild fire in 2011 (I think....). My truck keys are still somewhere out in those woods! Pretty bad deal, lots of houses lost.

There's no water like glade water.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.