Maverick Market - Icee?

4,375 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by RGV AG
Comeby!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do y'all remember what brand icee/slurpee they had? I remember the ice being round like small BB's. It wasn't shaved ice, or anything carbonated.
Charpie
AG
I barely remember the Maverick Market
Comeby!
AG
They had their version of a slushee/slurpee but the ice was perfectly round and their flavors were good.
moses hall ag
AG
Slush Puppie
MarylandAG
Slush puppies were great, perfect little spears, lemon lime was the best flavor. They are still around here and there.

Slush Puppie
keepfred
AG
Maverick Market, what you want and more.
Maverick Market, your next door store.
benchmark
AG
RGV AG
AG
My favorite Maverick Market memory comes from better times long ago. I think the last Maverick Market in the RGV, at least the old ones, was the one on 100 north on the Island. In the small shopping center just north of Georgia Ruth Street, on the right as you headed north.

I lived on the Island, off and on, for years. That particular Maverick Market, I believe, was the repository or outlet for aged or slow moving beer. Maybe it got a bunch of crappy beer because for years it was the last store as you headed north to the park.

All the Valley trash with an inflatable Shamu water float tied to the roof, and a bbq pit strapped into the trunk of course, of an 81' cutlass Supreme all stopped there for last minute goodies.

Anyway, that store always had cheap ass off brand beer. I remember for a long time they had six packs of Carling Black Label for $2.99 or like $10.99 for a case.

Sometimes it was Schaffer, in those skinny cans. And man sometimes they even had Pearl real cheap. It was a well known locals hack for many years.

During two periods in my carefree youth I lived easy walking or bike riding distance from there. Many cases of cheap, beat up can, beer were purchased there.

Towards the end of MM existence those kind of deals went away, but as a broke kid I sure appreciated them.

One of the things I remember about that store is they had bottles and bottles of meat tenderizer by the cash register. One day I asked what was up with that? And the clerk just said "weekends and jellyfish." I was like "now I get it".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.