Covid-19 in the RGV

17,077 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by scottimus
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kind of:

https://valleycentral.com/news/local/cameron-county-confirms-two-cases-of-travel-related-covid-19

Winter Texans stayed on SPI for months, went to a wedding in Idaho the last weekend of February, came into contact with somebody that has it, came back to SPI and then went home to Michigan March 11th. Got sick, have now tested positive.

I would love to know the exact date they tested positive but it stands to reason they had it when they were down here.
PJYoung
AG
SPI finally shut things down this afternoon:

PJYoung
AG
https://www.themonitor.com/2020/03/19/15-cases-test-negative-hidalgo-county-least-33-still-pending/

Quote:

At least 48 tests for the novel coronavirus have been sent out in Hidalgo County, and 15 have come back negative, county spokesman Carlos Sanchez said Thursday afternoon.

There are still no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Hidalgo County, Sanchez said. The other 33 tests are still pending results.

Those figures, however, are only for tests that have been sent to public testing labs in Harlingen and Austin, he added.

"There have been several private test kits, and we still haven't gotten a full overview of how many have been sent out," Sanchez said.
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

RANCHO VIEJO, Texas (CBS 4) Cameron County Public Health is confirming a travel-related case of COVID-19.

According to a release, a 21-year old male from Rancho Viejo tested positive after traveling to Ireland and Spain between March 5 and March 12.

On March 18, the patient presented himself at Valley Baptist Medical Center in Harlingen with symptoms of fever and cough where he was tested, said the release.

Cameron County Public Health received confirmation on Thursday.

According to the release, Cameron County Public Health is implementing a COVID-19 action response plan and is conducting the epidemiological investigation to identify others who may have been exposed and test the individuals showing signs and symptoms.
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

Effective today @ 5 p.m. on until further notice, McAllen Mayor issues new order with mandatory restrictions: Restaurants are limited to curbside and to go and drive thru services only. Restaurants will be allowed to designate one or more parking spaces for c:urbside delivery.
[url=https://twitter.com/CityofMcAllen/status/1240747614410125312/photo/1][/url]

Movie theaters & churches will limit attendance to less than 10 people and will institute social distancing of a minimum space of 6-feet apart.

McAllen Metro must restrict the available ridership by 50% of the available seats and will institute social distancing between riders

There will be no social gatherings of more than 10 persons.

Peace officers, City of McAllen Health and Code Compliance Officers, and McAllen Fire Marshal are authorized to enforce the new order. A violation of this order is a Class C Misdemeanor by a fine not to exceed $500.

Centerpole90
AG
Cameron County considering, and *likely* enacting, a countywide curfew 10pm - 5am starting tomorrow per this news story tonight-

https://www.krgv.com/news/cameron-co-judge-considering-county-wide-curfew
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

On Wednesday, U.S. Rep. Vicente Gonzalez told the Rio Grande Guardian that he would not be opposed to restricting travel into the Rio Grande Valley from the north, if it lessened the chances of the coronavirus spreading in the region. Under this scenario, the Border Patrol checkpoints at Falfurrias and Sarita could be used to block non-essential travel in the Rio Grande Valley.

https://riograndeguardian.com/cuellar-u-s-mexico-working-on-travel-restrictions-to-curb-coronavirus/
RGV AG
AG
I have been advocating this for years.......takes a GD pandemic to bring people to their senses.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
For your own safety, please stay the **** off SPI

we're full, plus there's those 2 snowbirds that had the mocos

Y'all best avoid this disease infested dune until about September

Regards
AG
I know the 2nd case in McAllen. Her and her husband went to Denver 3 weeks ago.

My sister lives SE of Dallas and came back from Puerto Rico last week - she got tested and will get her result today.
Centerpole90
AG
Was she symptomatic PJ?? I presume she was if she was able to get tested. I pray she's well!!

@SPI - careful, Silverado lover is down there patrolling the main drag while he waited for his cargo to arrive at Port.
PJYoung
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Was she symptomatic PJ?? I presume she was if she was able to get tested. I pray she's well!!

@SPI - careful, Silverado lover is down there patrolling the main drag while he waited for his cargo to arrive at Port.

She was feeling bad enough to get tested. That's all I know.

Ah, my sister, yeah she isn't feeling horrible but her lungs feel very odd. That plus her travel history was enough for the CDC to ok her test. She should find out today.

EDIT: Sister tested negative
PJYoung
AG
Cameron County just issued a shelter in place starting Wednesday.
RGV AG
AG
Really? Any place to see it in writing?
Centerpole90
AG
[url] http://krgv.s3.amazonaws.com/files/cameron-county-third-supplemental-emergency-management-order-with-mandatory-countywide-shelter-in-place.pdf[/url]
Duckhook
AG
The list of essential businesses that are exempt is so long that my wife and I were trying to figure out who can't be open. Beauty parlors/nail salons, bingo parlors, churches, golf courses, I guess retail stores that aren't selling essential products. Dental offices closed last week anyway.
RGV AG
AG
Thanks Boss, I finally found it about 30 minutes ago.

As Duck mentions, who/which/what is for sure closed down?

I would bet it is not more than 15-20% of businesses.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
As long as Delias and that place that does lift jobs on trucks are open aint nobody gone say sheet
AG
When I stepped out of the shower this morning, MrsCP'91 told me KRGV reporter Willacy Commissioners deemed Willacy restaurants were to be 'take out only'.

That's great. Since The entirety of Texas has been that way since, what, Last Friday????

Don't ever say we don't adapt in Willacy.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Centerpole90 said:

When I stepped out of the shower this morning, MrsCP'91 told me KRGV reporter Willacy Commissioners deemed Willacy restaurants were to be 'take out only'.

Fantastic. So now you can eat Tuckers and surf Texags at the same time!

Genius!

Im gonna buy her a damn cell booster.

AG
Bruh. I have the WiFi password.

Won't help with phone calls - but I can surf the web like a boss in there.
RGV AG
AG
I wish I had a SHTF plan to evacuate to Willacy, County. I think it would be perfect. These are damm interesting and concerning times.

I had always figured that any ass hauling would be down south, but Mex and several other countries are going to goat **** this deal terribly, I am afraid.
Centerpole90
AG
If shtf- cmon. I have clear shooting lanes but family is so small we can't cover all the compass points.
RGV AG
AG
Yeah man, but you can bury some cache's in the fields and brush out there and ain't nobody gonna find anything. Set you up a campsite and pretend you are settlers, LOL. We have a small piece of land in Wilkinson County, Mississippi. Has two springs on it and a good size creek runs through it, I always figured to head up there in a big mess, as it surrounded by wilderness, with lots of game. Going to that place is like stepping back into 1972, except there is a Family Dollar.

But I just realized it is too damm far, so I think Willacy county might be the next best option, lots of land out there and not a lot of folks on it.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Im self quarantined on the 5th floor. I have volunteered "guard" duty from 6am to 6:15am every day

Theres not 5000 people on this island I bet. And tomorrow starts a 14 day shelter in place thingy except for los mas chingones like myself.
AG
I think MrsCP is reading this thread....

We sheltered in place with some Tucker's carry out tonight.

RGV AG
AG
I need for you world travelers, SPI & CP, to tell me, what or who, pray tell, is Tuckers? And why haven't I heard of it? And, alas where is it?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Tuckers is a bbq joint in Raymondville thats most famous for 3 things in no particular order
1. Broccoli slaw
2. Pan de campo
3. Zero zilch nada cell service

Pretty sure that under her roof must be the steel hull off of one of those navy ships they tore down in browntown

Schools should pay attention
AG
SPI is NOT exaggerating about the cell service. Once you go inside that metal box, at least with ATT, there is no hope of contact from the outside world. You are alone with your thoughts, present company, the best BBQ you'll get in Willacy for sure, and their awesome sides: pan, broccoli slaw, and one of my favs - macaroni & cheese. There is wifi though, and I the password is in my phone but I can't see it! When life resumes I'll confirm what it is and post it here so SPI can check TA while he waits for lunch.

The Infate's are the proprietors; a brother and sister from a longtime Lyford family. They opened originally just north of Lyford about halfway between town and the old Bud's Wagon Wheel (RIP) on Bus 77 and were there for years, but they didn't own the building. A couple years ago they bought a lot in Raymo just south of Whataburger one block off 186 and one block off the expressway. Now the word is that the one remaining, undeveloped corner lot where Hommel's earth moving service used to be has sold to Bill Miler BBQ. But you hear a lot of stuff; I don't know if there's any truth to it or not. However, if it is true, even if they retained local customer support, it wouldn't be good for the hometown fav.
PJYoung
AG
3 more confirmed in Hidalgo county bringing our # to 5 and another one in Cameron to make 7. And that one seems to be our first case of community spread. They don't know who they got it from. So it begins.
RGV AG
AG
Thanks to both you and CP, for the description and anecdotes, interesting for sure. If we make it out of the Wuhan Gonnashyphaherpalese I plan to take a trip up there and try that Broccoli slaw.

For as much as we sometimes bemoan or beetch about the area, and as much as we sometimes lament the changes that have taken place over the last 15-20 years, there are still some real neat places, shops, businesses and people scattered about.

I tell you what, if I could find a cellphone proof eatery, that would be my go to place.
RGV AG
AG
Thanks man, real interesting.

I have a question for you. Way back in the 1980's I stopped and ate at a BBQ place in Raymondville that was one of the few BBQ places in South Texas, Clancy's in Fal being another, that my grandfather would eat at. I actually remember it got a small write up in Texas Monthly, probably circa 1984 or thereabouts. My grandfather knew it from his days in the oil patch, and really liked it and it was pretty damm good.

I wanna say it was off the old 77 exit to the right and had like the pits they used off to one side, gravel parking lot.

Do you remember that place or am getting even more daft than I know I am? Or am I just gleefully remembering things that may not be quite correct?
RGV AG
AG
PJYoung said:

3 more confirmed in Hidalgo county bringing our # to 5 and another one in Cameron to make 7. And that one seems to be our first case of community spread. They don't know who they got it from. So it begins.
I do believe that there will be a lot of cases of this in the RGV/Northern Mexico. But like quite a few folks, and I have no scientific nor concrete proof of this, I believe that this virus has been around and about in certain places longer than what we are estimating as a society.

A lot of Korean's live and work in McAllen/Reynosa and there are Chinese and Koreans living in Reynosa and Matamoros, a bunch and probably most of them, traveled extensively in that Dec/Jan time frame.

As country, Mexico and other LatAm countries have lots of crowd contact. The RGV is very similar, just the flea markets in Hidalgo, Alamo, and Browntown are nalga to codo 2 to 3 days a week, and were through last week. I just can't fathom that the virus isn't more prevalent among us than we are hearing.
PJYoung
AG
Hidalgo County shelter in place until April 10th.

Sounds like there will be a decently long list of essential businesses excluded. We will see when it gets online.

As an aside, it is brutal to listen to a lot of our local leaders speak.
RGV AG
AG
I grew up with the Cortez boys, Mr. Cortez is a decent man and I am glad he is leading the county, the county could do much, much worse.

But no matter, the RGV is always going to have odd and bad looking communications, I think it is something in the water.

Nothing trumps the live on CNN, "squashed, flat like tortillas" (with a hand clap motion for effect) during the Tienda Amigo disaster of 1988.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.