Thought you all might get a kick out of these RGV memories...

1,997 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oldord
oldord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1961 dove hunt RGV Style

Takes me back
Duckhook
AG
Great find. I can remember going on a couple of hunts like that with my dad in the early '60's. The part of those pics that is most familiar is the muddy roads. September is always wet around whitewing season. Even now. I remember our station wagon getting stuck one year.
oldvalleyrat
AG
I don't remember that exact year but I am sure I was out hunting Whitewing in 1961 because I was a senior in Edinburg High School and we always went out hunting over north of Mission. The picture is just like I would have imagined. One year I had a broken leg and my dad set up a chair for me to sit in while we hunted. I shot one and he dropped out of the sky like a rock. Fell right in my face! I couldn't get out of the way because of the cast. Everyone got a big laugh as I tried and failed to duck. (probably in 1958).

Any of you guys ever get hit with shot...I got hit more than once although it didn't penetrate the skin.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Brings back a lot of memories.

I was born a few days before opening day 1961

But by 1968 i was making chump change shagging birds for those rich guys

#montealtorepresenting
We always got through 2 a days, and usually week of first game was opening day, and Monday lot of the team would come in with shoulders sore as heck from all the shooting
oldord
AG
oldvalleyrat said:

I don't remember that exact year but I am sure I was out hunting Whitewing in 1961 because I was a senior in Edinburg High School and we always went out hunting over north of Mission. The picture is just like I would have imagined. One year I had a broken leg and my dad set up a chair for me to sit in while we hunted. I shot one and he dropped out of the sky like a rock. Fell right in my face! I couldn't get out of the way because of the cast. Everyone got a big laugh as I tried and failed to duck. (probably in 1958).

Any of you guys ever get hit with shot...I got hit more than once although it didn't penetrate the skin.
Old valley rat, in answer to your questions as to if anyone ever got shot...when I was about 9 or 10, I got shot right between my nostrils. The little bit of skin that separates the holes in your nose. The BB went under the skin.

Never knew how damn SENSITIVE that area is until that happened. My eyes watered for days. When my dad pulled out his surgical tray to remove the BB (He was a veterinarian) I about crapped my pants.

He got it out by squeezing but it was the most unpleasant experience.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.