Rain

2,704 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PJYoung
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fun morning getting to work here in San Juan.

PJYoung
AG
And my phone that I've never had a bit of trouble with decided to die forever as I called my wife from a deep lake that was Nolana and 281.
Charpie
AG
You ok?
RGV AG
AG
As per usual i am out of the Valley, picrures looked bad. Is any more rain expected? This is just a teaser for when the big, slow moving storm hits. I bet Reynosa and Matamoros are deep kimchi I right now.

It looked like some parts of the expressway were underwater.
PJYoung
AG
Charpie said:

You ok?

Ha yeah.

Ended up wading about 2 tenths of a mile to the office yesterday morning from a Jack in the Box. I had pushed my luck enough. Picked up the truck at 9am and everything had mostly drained right there. Just to our south and east it was bad til after lunch time.

Weslaco and Mercedes got hit really hard
PJYoung
AG
This morning western McAllen and Mission got it bad:

PJYoung
AG
This is from Ware and the Expressway. The Salt Grass parking lot.

Just shocking.

That was 8 inches of rain in 6 hours. Mercedes had 12 inches yesterday in like 8 hours.

Charpie
AG
Holy crap.

My family doesn't live there anymore. But it still breaks my heart
Hey Nav
AG
Anyone know how it looks in Harlingen- Valley Baptist area?
PJYoung
AG
Not terrible not great. Better than Mission, Mercedes or Weslaco but still flooded in spots.

PJYoung
AG
Monterrey needs to hold onto their butts next. Rain just starting there and I assume it's gonna be really bad with the mountains enhancing the rain and of course worse flash flooding due to the terrain.
Charpie
AG
Damn..they will have to open the floodways
zarbas77
AG
Multiple roads here in Mission and McAllen still closed. Here in Sharyland, I've gotten14 inches since 2 a.m. yesterday.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gordon Bombay
AG
Can I get from Weslaco to McAllen Miller in the morning... any flooding on 10th or 2nd Streets?
zarbas77
AG
Unless we get a lot more rain tonight, you should be OK. I just drove south on 10th from Dove all the way to the airport and the roads are OK. I think 2nd will be OK as well. You can always look at KRGV.com. They have a map of all the road closures under the weather heading. Click on traffic map. They supposedly update it every 30 minutes. It was accurate earlier today.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oldvalleyrat
AG
I realize that the rain was a real problem for some folks but it was also a blessing for the valley. That being said, the Waterford Gardens over by Mission where my MIL resides had to be evacuated when water started coming in. They said they had 12 inches in one day. I have to say that the staff at that place in first class.

At my house over on Alberta Road near the expressway we got 13" in about 2 1/2 days. Yard looked a little like it does when we irrigate but caused no problems. Everything needed water and these squalls that blow in from the gulf is what makes the valley live-able. Without those rains, there would be no Falcon lake and no crops here in the valley (unless you dryland farm).

I guess we have to take the bad with the good. Seems like the drainage system that we have built for a gadzillion dollars worked pretty well. As long as the county commissioners allow these unregulated colonias to be built in low areas there will always be pictures that we see on TV.
PJYoung
AG
RGV AG
AG
Cool post man. Thanks for that. KRIO was still on the air, actually it still is but I think it is a religious deal now, for my first years in the RGV and I always liked listening to it.

The flooding on the Mexican side for this last storm was really bad as well. Worse than in the RGV, we just don't hear about it as much now that not many people go to Reynosa or Matamoros much. If the RGV and the Mexican side ever get a storm like Beulah again it is going to be a big, big mess. As the Whitlock guy mentioned, the concrete and the changes in the drainage patterns are going to play hell with having the water run off. In a big rain the Levee system keeps water in to a degree as well.

Interesting time for sure.
PJYoung
AG
https://www.weather.gov/bro/2018event_greatjuneflood

Pretty crazy stuff:

Quote:

• More than 2,000 rescues from vehicles and homes were conducted

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.