I-2/281 interchange to be complete by 2023

2,073 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PJYoung
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://riograndeguardian.com/canon-edcouch-elsa-set-to-be-a-popular-east-west-route/

Total construction cost of 320 million.

Quote:

"The really nice thing about that is once that gets started underway we are looking at an end construction of 2023, as opposed to 2025, going through a design-build process. We are very excited. We think the RFQ will be secured this year, that will be narrowed down on the list and then TXDOT will approve going out for an RFP (request for proposals) on the engineers to start on that project and get that underway. And, as most of you know, the design build process does expedite the matter a lot quicker, so they are able to design and build at the same time."

Canon added: "I am pretty happy about the 15-1 return on the investment, that my board has approved."

TxDOT released a news release about the RFQ process for the Pharr Interchange project. The news release described the project as a "full reconstruction" of U.S. 83/U.S. 281. "The design-build contract to reconstruct the Pharr Interchange is estimated to cost $150 million," the news release stated. It added:

"The project will provide 7.8 miles of non-tolled improvements along U.S. 83 from just west of 2nd Street to just east of Farm-to-Market 2557 (S. Stewart Road) and U.S. 281 from Nolana Loop to Interstate 2 in McAllen, Pharr and San Juan. The Pharr Interchange will include two-lane direct connectors in all four directions. The U.S. 83 general purpose lanes will be reconstructed and/or widened from six to eight general purpose lanes (four in each direction) from 2nd Street to the U.S. 83/U.S. 281 interchange. Operational improvements include approaches and departures to and from the direct connectors and the reconfiguration of main lane ramps."

No start date was mentioned.
OXDL45
AG
Interesting.
PJYoung
AG
OXDL45 said:

Interesting.

I'm guessing the date will turn out to be extremely optimistic but we will see.
oldvalleyrat
AG
I am sure glad that they are making these plans to fix the Pharr interchange. It wasn't good when it was first built and is certainly a mess now. The idea that 107 is an alternative is a pipe dream. I grew up in Edinburg (back in 1960) and used to drive that route to SPI. You could make great time (don't all high school kids make great time to the beach). I was over on the east side of Edinburg the other day and was driving to a friends house in Santa Rosa. What a shock! The traffic is terrible and there is a stop light on every corner. It just didn't occur to me that those little towns on 107 had grown so much. I have several friends that live down the valley and drive to Edinburg and McAllen for work. Can you imagine that drive down 107 to come and go for work?

I probably won't have to worry. I am so old someone will probably have to drive me where ever I go by that time.
PJYoung
AG
I went over to SPI from my house near 6th and Nolana on Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend and made it to the bridge in 68 minutes driving 5-10 over the speed limit. I took the toll road to the port and cut across and then saw the huge line west of HEB. I probably saved 30 minutes easy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.