West Texas
Sponsored by

thoughts on moving to Big Bend area? - Alpine, Marfa, Marathon, Ft Davis...

23,672 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by danw95
danw95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep! Been here since October, family is settled in pretty well. Love it here.
Steve Keathley 89
AG
Dan

What did you end up doing and where are you now?

Complaint Investigator
AG
If you need a dentist, head to Valentine Iris is an awesome person. She just sold her 8K acre ranch out there to downsize, but is staying in practice in Valentine.

I used to ride a cutting horse she bred, and she was at dinner at a mutual friends house about two weeks ago.

Iris Korus, DDS
danw95
AG
Steve - we're in Alpine, I talked my boss into letting me work remotely so I have an office in my home, Baja Internet has 100mb speeds so it's been a smooth transition. I'm an IT business analyst with clients all get the country so being face to face isn't an issue.
danw95
AG
I have to say for us, the remoteness has only been a factor when we go visit family and its a ten hour drive. High speed internet, directv, and Amazon fill a lot of gaps. We try and buy as much local as possible but we're frugal too so sometimes it makes more sense to stock up on the way back from Houston or San Antonio. Housing and groceries are more expensive, car and home insurance cheaper. Electricity is much cheaper. Working at home we spend very little on car expenses and gas, so the long drives to Houston or austin aren't a big deal expense-wise. There aren't many restaurant choices so we cook home a lot. So cost of living I'd say is almost equal to what we left in Houston.
Mucho austin
AG
You could always just eat at the Reata each meal.

Carne asada w/ the cheese enchilada. I would be fine with that for each meal.
chickenfingers
AG
Dan - Can you email me at dwil90 at yahoo sometime? I would really like to ask you a couple of questions.
danw95
AG
sure, email sent
Steve Keathley 89
AG
My son and I finished a Boy Scout camp last summer in the Davis mountains then headed down to Marfa for the film festival.

Had s good time and really was happy to be back.

Stayed at the thunderbird

If only one could make a living out there...
corndog04
AG
Heading down to the area later this month for an interview. We've been in Oregon for the last 8 years.. while I love it here for the scenery and lack of insane heat, my wife has been wanting to get back to Texas for quite a long time. FWT is the perfect compromise. I just can't see myself living in the I-35/I-45 corridors again.

I'm super pumped. Would be taking an insane pay cut but we've been wanting to downsize/simplify anyway.
danw95
AG
Good luck, hope it works out! Which town is the job in?
corndog04
AG
Ft. Davis
sschlobohm
Howdy, just curious if you are still living out in Alpine. I'm about to graduate from A&M and hope to move out there. Any insights?
rbcs_2
AG
sschlobohm said:

Howdy, just curious if you are still living out in Alpine. I'm about to graduate from A&M and hope to move out there. Any insights?
Don't hope. Just do it.

EDIT: I should add that I don't currently live out there, but grew up in Alpine (well from age 10 - 18) and lived in Marfa for a spell. I think about moving back on a somewhat regular basis.
danw95
AG
Yes I'm still out here and love it. I'm married with kids though. Single and young may find it boring. But it's beautiful out here and a great place to live. If you have specific questions about living out here, let me know.
Robk
Bringing this one back. Dan could you email me at alterna75 @ gmail. Com. Have a couple interviews for teaching positions in the area and would like to ask a couple questions.
danw95
AG
Email sent
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.