Houston
Sponsored by

Kinkaid student suicide

13,378 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cromagnum
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Completely agree with this and think its a great way of looking at it.

Quote:

No one should be giving any credit or placing any value on anything they see on social media, and we need to teach our kids that. Treat it like a horror film - enjoy it for what it is but don't let it give you nightmares (and if it does, then stop watching).
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

schmellba99 said:

Sea Speed said:

There is no reason whatsoever for a young girl to be on social media. I'll be keeping mine off indefinitely. Don't even care.

Let us know how that works out
It's not that difficult.

Technically it's not the difficult. You can prevent downloading apps without your approval and restrict any website you want on their phones. Or you can just not give them a phone.

The actual "difficult" part is being a good parent, setting rules, sticking to them, and being the bad guy that your kids "hate" for not letting them be like all the other kids. That's the hard part of parenting, caring enough to do the right thing.

It'd be way easier to not care and let them grow up to be *******s with no rules.

Effing teenagers. So much easier when they liked to dress as princesses and watch Frozen.
Gap
AG
Ever wonder why it isn't highly regulated by our society like other things harmful to children like say alcohol and tobacco. Of course, that doesn't stop it totally but with social media there isn't even an attempt.

It is certainly hard to do when these platforms control the conversation.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
On my sons school badge there is a suicide prevention thing on the back. Cy-Fair ISD
evestor1
My oldest is 9. During the parent-teacher this year ( 3rd grade ) we had this type of conversation:

Her "I notice you do not let ***** on technology..."

Us "we do not. Did he mention it"

Her "no. Kids that don't have access to technology have different thought processes and have no problems compared to everyone else. I see 1-2 per year"

After meeting I told my wife "I told you so". I have been adamant on no computers or iPads in our house. We have an iPad bc my uncle felt bad for us during 2020. I told my wife no way and we clocked out of school until they opened their door.

We had a similar y'all with his kindergarten teacher. She noticed bc he had never used a mouse and didn't know how to turn on the class provided iPads.

I don't care if people use technology or not, but I'm keeping it away from my kids (outside of during school) as long as I can.
HeightsAg
I guess the Amish had it right all along
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG

WES2006AG said:

Any parent of a teenager who thinks they are successfully keeping their kids off social media are probably wrong, unless their kid is locked in the house 24/7. Teens are very savvy with these things.
Always possible and in the back of my mind. Regulating phone usage is pretty easy and limiting apps on phones isn't a challenge either. They could use the web-based version. I'm not naive enough to think "not my daughter" but so far, there is no evidence to suggest that my child has any social media.
Have you checked nicknames your daughter might use?
#FJB
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

WES2006AG said:

Any parent of a teenager who thinks they are successfully keeping their kids off social media are probably wrong, unless their kid is locked in the house 24/7. Teens are very savvy with these things.
Always possible and in the back of my mind. Regulating phone usage is pretty easy and limiting apps on phones isn't a challenge either. They could use the web-based version. I'm not naive enough to think "not my daughter" but so far, there is no evidence to suggest that my child has any social media.
Have you checked nicknames your daughter might use?

I have. I trust my kid but I also trust that she'll do stupid **** like all kids do.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
SockDePot
HeightsAg said:

I guess the Amish had it right all along

Amish have social media too…

Cromagnum
AG
BBRex said:

TXTransplant said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Perhaps it was an attempt to avoid students becoming aware of suicide.

That was back when we recognized the danger of evil as social contagion.

There have been quite a few teen suicides in my area (The Woodlands) in the last few years. I find that usually not much is said about it. I can't help but think parents/families don't want people to know it was suicide. There is a still a huge stigma attached to that, and some parents may be in denial (especially if drugs were involved).
There used to be big concern about students watching a classmate getting a big sendoff after a suicide, then doing the same thing, too, for the same attention.

Suicide for attention is about as dumb as it gets. You're dead. You are never going to know if anyone even batted an eye for you.

People try to look for warning signs but there usually aren't any. The only way you are going to help someone is to establish trust early and have open dialogue about difficult topics.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.