Houston
Sponsored by

Why are these gas stations determined to accept cash?

2,658 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgLiving06
lancevance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Giving 10 to 20 cent discount on gas to persuade people to pay by cash. While making themselves targets of robberies? Wouldn't they not want to accept cash for safety?
BohunkAg
AG
credit card fees
Ryan the Temp
AG
It's not a discount for paying cash; it's a surcharge for using a credit card.
BohunkAg
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Correct. I may be wrong here, but I think in a lot of cases, they can't make you pay more for using a credit card, but they can give you a discount for paying cash. We've looked at it for our business. Currently, we eat the credit card fees. I'd rather take all payments electronically for the reasons the OP mentioned, but the processing fees are crazy. We are constantly shopping providers.
Matsui
AG
What are the various processing fees?
cajunaggie08
AG
I've also heard its meant to force buyers into the store where they would be more likely to buy other goods as the gas station makes its profit off the convenience store while selling gas at just above cost value
drumboy
AG
BohunkAg said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Correct. I may be wrong here, but I think in a lot of cases, they can't make you pay more for using a credit card, but they can give you a discount for paying cash. We've looked at it for our business. Currently, we eat the credit card fees. I'd rather take all payments electronically for the reasons the OP mentioned, but the processing fees are crazy. We are constantly shopping providers.
You can now charge a surcharge for credit cards but not debit, and you have to post signs at entry and at the POS. Onion Creek hit me w/ a charge on my debit card and I'm thinking of calling Akin's Army.

You can inflate your prices and offer a cash discount to get around excluding debit cards and you don't have to post signs.

https://www.merchantmaverick.com/credit-card-surcharges/
TAM85
Sounds like Spec's
Quincey P. Morris
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

I've also heard its meant to force buyers into the store where they would be more likely to buy other goods as the gas station makes its profit off the convenience store while selling gas at just above cost value

I've heard the same.
BohunkAg
AG
Matsui said:

Depends on the processor you are using....and the card. I do know that some places don't take Amex specifically because their fees are higher.
BohunkAg
AG
drumboy said:

BohunkAg said:

Ryan the Temp said:

You can now charge a surcharge for credit cards but not debit, and you have to post signs at entry and at the POS. Onion Creek hit me w/ a charge on my debit card and I'm thinking of calling Akin's Army.

You can inflate your prices and offer a cash discount to get around excluding debit cards and you don't have to post signs.

Is that true in Texas? At one point you couldn't do it in Texas.
Captain Winky
All it does is make me keep driving to the next gas station without the "fee".
BohunkAg
AG
Captain Winky said:

Corporate gas stations can afford not to charge it. Passing the fee on is a way for mom and pops to remain competitive....so by all means keep propping up poor Walmart, Amazon, etc.
cajunaggie08
AG
BohunkAg said:

Captain Winky said:

Corporate gas stations can afford not to charge it. Passing the fee on is a way for mom and pops to remain competitive....so by all means keep propping up poor Walmart, Amazon, etc.
I don't care about mom and pop who happen to sell name brand corporate gas if they are going to charge me more for the same gas as the name brand corporate owned gas station because they want to pass the credit card fee on to me. I don't carry much cash on me so I'm not going to go wander in to a convivence store to withdraw cash from an ATM (where I will get charged a fee) just to pay with cash to help the little guy. The big guy gives me a way better and more convenient option.
Captain Winky
My bad, I didn't realize I was screwing over the little man when I drive past the Exon and Shell branded gas stations. Still don't care.
Sea Speed
AG
Bucees and Costco are by far the cheapest gas around and dont mess with these dumbass fees or anything, which is nice. We probably get 95% of our gas at the 2 of those establishments
The Wonderer
AG
BohunkAg said:

drumboy said:

BohunkAg said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Yes, the law changed a few years ago.
Martin Q. Blank
Matsui said:

Something like $0.60 + 2%. That's also why small businesses often have a minimum purchase for credit cards. If you buy a pack of gum for 50 cents, the store had to pay 60 cents in fees.
drumboy
AG
The Wonderer said:

BohunkAg said:

drumboy said:

BohunkAg said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Yes, the law changed a few years ago.
It's getting more common all over the places....I've seen it at multiple restaurants and even at a doctor's office, but I got around it by sending the money via Zelle.
BohunkAg
AG
Credit card fees are an asswhip for everyone. But i guess the card companies have to make money too...outside of the outrageous interest they charge to some people.
lancevance
First time I learned that businesses have to pay cc processing fees was a whoa moment for me. I thought cc companies would be more inclined to remove any obstacle in their way to get more people to use CC and then charge a 19% interest rate later on. Even more whoa moment was when I learned that businesses have to pay more for premium cards that do points/miles. Its like the CC company wins every way.
Cole Trickle
AG
I don't think I've driven to a specific establishment for lower priced gas since I was in high school 20+ years ago. Do you really drive somewhere else based on a few pennies of a lower price for gas?
TXTransplant
I'm at a gas station right now and the cash price is 10 cents higher than "easy pay". I always assumed "easy pay" is credit card, but I didn't really know for sure. The fist count only applies to regular and I never buy regular.

I'm volunteering for a school group that uses Stripe for cc purchases. They charge a fee that's a percentage of our charge. Sometimes, thanks to rounding "errors", we actually lose money on transactions. The cc company rounds in their favor, so we sometimes get shorted a few cents.

School district has started forcing us to pay the cc fee charged by their online payment system even if we pay by check. Parents are mad because sometimes the fees are $15-$20.
Sea Speed
AG
Cole Trickle said:

I don't think I've driven to a specific establishment for lower priced gas since I was in high school 20+ years ago. Do you really drive somewhere else based on a few pennies of a lower price for gas?

No but we make it a point to stop at the cheapest places already on our established regular routes. And some places I pass are 50+ cents more than others. On a 34 gallon tank that is a fair amount of scratch per fill up. On my wife's side, she uses roughly 1500 gallons a year. The savings add up if you simply plan out your day and fill up where it is most economical.
drumboy
AG
I do and I use GasBuddy to find cheaper places.

90% or the time I just go to Costco
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Cole Trickle said:

Prices can vary 10 cents a gallon or more if you're heading out further than a short commute. It can start to add up for people who aren't WFH visual storytellers who only need to drive from the townhouse to the Heights HEB once in a while. It doesn't make a huge difference at the end of the day, but the instinct to stop at the place that consistently has lower prices is pretty hard wired. And over the course of a year, that easily can be a few hundred dollars difference, even with fairly light mileage.

*back to the OP, I always figured the cash price is mostly a lure to draw you in with a shockingly low price. There are a couple Valero stations that only show the cash price on the digital sign, and then once you pull the pump out you see the real price after authorizing your cc.
htxag09
AG
I mean you could look up a credit cards financials to see what they're making. But I assume earnings on interest rate isn't as high as some think. I'd wager the majority of people pay their bill every month. These people also specifically choose credit card companies for their rewards. They got to pay for all those rewards and benefits somehow.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Bruh you have way too much faith in the average credit card holder's financial acumen. Several years ago i had to teach a friend of mine, a grown ass woman with a college degree and a real job, that if you pay your balance in full every month you don't pay interest. I would bet good money that half or more of all credit card holders have always carried a balance and always will

I feel like a lot of the gas stations i see with cash price vs credit card fee are in the hood. Wonder if they get a higher incidence of stolen/ denied credit cards so the fee is to cover part of that loss
n_touch
Martin Q. Blank said:

Matsui said:

Something like $0.60 + 2%. That's also why small businesses often have a minimum purchase for credit cards. If you buy a pack of gum for 50 cents, the store had to pay 60 cents in fees.
There are not many places paying that high of a transaction fee. Even Stripe is only $0.30 for an online transaction. Most are less than $0.10 + fee.
Dr. Horrible
I'm perfectly fine to pay extra so I don't have to step foot in the hellhole.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I thought it was about laundering money.
htxag09
AG
Nah, I know lots of people have crazy credit card debt. I also know lots of people spend $20k+ every month…. and they pay it off every month. And they do it for the rewards. Just find it doubtful that the average American in credit card debt is paying for the benefits for those black card holders with their interest…..
htxag09
AG
Amex Q3 earnings:

Discount Revenue (aka merchant fees): $7.8B
Interest on Loans (assume interest from cc's is included in this): $3.2
Card Fees: $1.5B

Card Member Rewards: $3.6B

JSKolache
AG
Matsui said:

Double miles, 5x points, etc. All that cool "free" stuff we get is paid for by sellers.
Bregxit
AG
Captain Winky said:

My bad, I didn't realize I was screwing over the little man when I drive past the Exon and Shell branded gas stations. Still don't care.

Exxon and Mobil stations are all privately owned. XOM sold all of its C stores years ago.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.