Houston
Sponsored by

Wortham Theater Concealed Carry Policy?

7,255 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 94chem
lawless89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know? We are taking an over from the hotel and I don't see anything online or on their website. Would rather not be downtown at night unarmed.
Irish 2.0
Don't ask. Don't tell.

Better to have it and not need it instead of needing it and not having it.
lawless89
Irish 2.0 said:

Don't ask. Don't tell.

Better to have it and not need it instead of needing it and not having it.

Agreed. But if they've got metal detectors/wands, I'm screwed and the wife won't be happy.
MAS444
AG
Yeah I definitely wouldn't risk being at the Wortham Theatre without being strapped and tactical vested. That place is just scary.
Irish 2.0
Then I'd ask for their head of security to secure the weapon until you leave the venue. Especially if you have a CHL
ATM9000
AG
Sounds like OP's username should get changed to lawful.
drumboy
AG
lawless89 said:

Anyone know? We are taking an over from the hotel and I don't see anything online or on their website. Would rather not be downtown at night unarmed.

Don't go anywhere near Market Square if Wortham Center scares you.

Or south on Main or East of Main and outside of Cypress.
Ragoo
AG
They metal detect you going in
Ryan the Temp
AG
Ragoo said:

They metal detect you going in
Yep. If you are armed, the best case is they ask you to leave.

FWIW, I am at that end of downtown at night all the time and it's really not any sort of big deal. I've never felt unsafe there. But then again ... the opera is so typically full of hooligans and thugs ...
Ryan the Temp
AG
Confirmed via a friend who works there - NOT ALLOWED.
Waltonloads08
AG
why? unless you are buying drugs or hanging out under a bridge or shooting dice, its the Opera. You'll be fine.
Irish 2.0
Waltonloads08 said:

why? unless you are buying drugs or hanging out under a bridge or shooting dice, its the Opera. You'll be fine.

He's not concerned about going to the opera. He's concerned about leaving the opera at night in that ****hole area
Ryan the Temp
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Waltonloads08 said:

He's not concerned about going to the opera. He's concerned about leaving the opera at night in that ****hole area
Um, the area around the Wortham is not a "****hole area." When was the last time you were there? I was there yesterday.
Waltonloads08
AG
are we talking about the same area? It's not dangerous at all. Y'all should stay in the suburbs if you're scared.
Irish 2.0
Yep. All good. No crime in the downtown Houston area…

https://communitycrimemap.com
schmendeler
AG
No one is going to Thomas Wayne you.
MAS444
AG
Don't let your guard down and keep your head on a swivel in the theatre district bro.
lawless89
Thanks for the updates. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis and going to dinner before the show. So going to be all over downtown and I'm armed 99% of the time anyways. But with the no late entries policy at the theater, I wasn't going to have time to Uber back to my hotel and was trying to avoid my wife being upset at me!

If I don't post back tomorrow it's cause I got murdered by thugs.
schmendeler
AG
I guess all that scare messaging about cities being war zones really works.
Ryan the Temp
AG
The overwhelming majority of the riff raff is near the Pierce Elevated and under or east of 59. Sometimes I dine in at McD's on Gray just to flex on them.
DustysLineup
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Waltonloads08 said:

Once a hick, always a hick.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I'm not convinced any of the metal dectectors at Wortham Theater, Toyota Center, MMP etc are actually plugged in.
maroon barchetta
schmendeler said:

No one is going to Thomas Wayne you.

He doesn't want to dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight.
lawless89
Update.

No signs. No metal detectors.
maroon barchetta
lawless89 said:

Update.

You're going to die for nothing.

T&P's
Ryan the Temp
AG
lawless89 said:

Update.

That's different. Last time I was there they were screening people. Same at the Hobby Center.
malenurse
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Then I'd ask for their head of security to secure the weapon until you leave the venue. Especially if you have a LTC
FIFY, gotta keep up with the times
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't know, y'all. Tenors can get pretty testy if they don't hit the money note on a particular night.
Waltonloads08
AG
MAS444 said:

Don't let your guard down and keep your head on a swivel in the theatre district bro.

place is crawling with sketchy thespians
BrazosDog02
AG
Do they make you take your boots off?

I've had 100% success rate carrying knives and my small pistol by dropping it in my boot. I put my double mag carrier in the other boot so both go off at about the same place on my leg. When questioned, I physically and LOUDLY tap on my steel toe so it's clear that it's steel. That has been sufficient.

Pockets go off, it's keys, boots go off, because of steel toe. No one has ever made me remove my boots. If this is a more involved search this might not work. It's also not going to work if you're playing Josie Wales and carrying a hand cannon of some sort.

Just hang back a bit and observe the scanners. Pick the one that looks dumber than the rest or seems to hate his job.
43rd Street Posse
MAS444 said:

I am grateful that there are a few people doing this at many places we frequent. Me included, when I can. A man should always keep his head on a swivel and be aware of his surroundings, bc women typically suck majorly at this.

Theatres and other "gun free zones" are probably far more likely to be the target of some deranged violent lunatic than grocery stores and the like, which plenty of people carry at. But really he and his wife are obviously at greater risk walking anywhere by themselves in Houston proper. Low risk in most areas like the nicer parts of downtown, but still, violent crime does happen in this city and it's not confined only to the poor ghettos.

My wife (fiance at the time) got rolled up on by a minivan of cholo hoodlums demanding my money at Columbia and White Oak years back. I pushed her behind a truck on the road and pulled my piece and they got the F out quick. My buddy got pistol wh*pped and mugged and his wife got roughed up in a nice part of Dallas while they were getting back into his truck after dinner. Sh** happens, everywhere
“Elon's wife left him for a trans woman and he dove right into the alt right pipeline, can't make this stuff up”
-Old McDonald
43rd Street Posse
Ryan the Temp said:

The overwhelming majority of the riff raff is near the Pierce Elevated and under or east of 59. Sometimes I dine in at McD's on Gray just to flex on them.
True, but violent muggings have been on the rise in this town (and every other city run by democrats). Cars full of thugs and bangers don't usually go around sticking up poor bums at homeless camps. You definitely have to watch out for sketchy bums, but there are also robbers out there who want to target those with money and posessions.
“Elon's wife left him for a trans woman and he dove right into the alt right pipeline, can't make this stuff up”
-Old McDonald
maroon barchetta
43rd Street Posse said:

Ryan the Temp said:

True, but violent muggings have been on the rise in this town (and every other city run by democrats). Cars full of thugs and bangers don't usually go around sticking up poor bums at homeless camps. You definitely have to watch out for sketchy bums, but there are also robbers out there who want to target those with money and posessions.

Username checks out.
lawless89
Walked to Pappasitos last night for dinner at the Hilton. The park was pretty lively with a lot of people, but honestly probably 25% of the people looked like they could be a gang banger. Felt pretty out of place as a tall white man.

Just better to be aware and prepare for the worst but expect the best. Houston hasn't had the best crime report lately.
cajunaggie08
AG
43rd Street Posse said:

Ryan the Temp said:

you do know that the vast majority of cities are run by Democratic Party mayors right? Jacksonville, Fort Worth, and OKC are the largest Republican Party run cities. Is crime decreasing in these cities or are you trying to make a correlation that doesn't exist?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.