Houston
Sponsored by

I-45 murders- Netflix

9,822 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
The D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone watching this? I had no idea.

It's the #2 trending show now.
Anti-taxxer
AG
There have been several documentaries and books about them.

This one is pretty good: Deliver Us: Three Decades of Murder and Redemption in the Infamous I-45/Texas Killing Fields https://a.co/d/cmsH6vQ
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Wife and I watched it. Very well done. As I said in a different thread, just enough crying moms for you to feel empathy, but not so much it is unbearable. Ron Howard is a part of this project, and he doesn't do stinkers. Only problem I had with it is the doc tries to lump all 20 something cases together, but then doesn't do a great job of explaining more than 8 or so.
I have never driven by the calder rd site. I have driven calder, but never turned on Ervin. I will take a spin next week.
213 Grove
AG
I live a couple hundred yards away from it. Had no idea when we first moved here but read about it a year or so ago. Haven't watched the series but definitely will.
MAROON
AG
Grew up in league city. The convenience store where a few of them were last seen was very near our house. Been there a 1000 times.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
agproducer
AG
The William Reece cases served like an afterthought. They brought the victim from north Texas into it, but never really explained that.

It was good overall, but posts still need to be explained.
Sea Speed
AG
Wow. This really hits close to home for a lot of us. Really makes you think.
Sea Speed
AG
I found it interesting that Texas equusearch was born from these murders. Did not know that.
schmellba99
AG
The D said:

Watched it yesterday. Grew up not far from there, remember the Friendswood girl pretty vividly when it happened. The Killing Fields are well known around here.
REMtx
I remember the Laura Smithers case really well. I was about 15/16, and my high school girlfriend was upset during that time because she had a younger sister Laura's age, and Laura was found not too far from where my girlfriend lived in Pasadena.

My wife now was actually born about a month before Laura so it did make me think about how Laura's life was cut short. The documentary also shortly brought to light that her mother was adoptive; her bio mom passed from cancer after Laura was born. I'm glad her family got some sort of closure from William Reese's arrest and confession.

Tim Miller looks very worn out. It will be a sad day when he passes. He's had this drive and personal promise to his daughter to never stop looking and helping other people. That man has seen some probably frightening things nobody should see. He found this girl who went missing from my high school a few years ago (boyfriend killed her and stuffed her in abandoned apartment).
maroon barchetta
schmellba99 said:

The D said:

Watched it yesterday. Grew up not far from there, remember the Friendswood girl pretty vividly when it happened. The Killing Fields are well known around here.

Same.

My dad knew a family named Sikes in Texas City (if I remember correctly) whose daughter was taken and killed. I don't know if they ever caught the guy responsible. Guess I need to watch this show.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/news/article/Shelley-Sikes-disappearance-Zwarst-parole-denied-12249397.php

Here ya go, MB.
maroon barchetta
Thanks.

I forgot she had been a server at Gaido's and killed on her way home.

It would never surprise me if the father of a child that was taken a and killed like this went ahead and pushed for parole so they could get ahold of the murderer themselves. I would be surprised if that hasn't happened a few times.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Friend of mine was the lead investigator for the Galveston County Sheriff's Dept. in the Jessica Cain case and remained on the case even after it had grown cold. He was there when they recovered her remains.
mm98
AG
This is basically where that huge softball park Big League Dreams is now built?
MAROON
AG
It's very close. Just north of the park I think. When I was a kid it was wide open ranch land.
213 Grove
AG
MAROON said:

It's very close. Just north of the park I think. When I was a kid it was wide open ranch land.

I think it's actually just south of Big League Dreams at the SW corner of Calder and Ervin. I live very close and you can see crosses off in the woods when driving by. Kind of eery
redaszag99
Where was the bar Texas Moon? Anyone know?

I live VERY close, like 0.1 miles from where Laura Smithers lived and was abducted.

Grew up close by here and remember the search for her when I was in juco

redaszag99
William Reese, from my memory, was working along Moore Rd in Friendswood

He was supposedly dating one of my grandma's (Ann Bull - she is dead) renters, that is what I heard when all of it went down

My Grandma had rentals along SH35 in North Alvin (now South Pearland) in Hastings oil field

Ann Bull lived less than 2 miles from where Smithers was abducted

Smithers lived on Ware Dairy Rd off of Moore Rd

I live very near moore rd on mandale rd

Went to Alvin schools
DustysLineup
AG
redaszag99 said:

Where was the bar Texas Moon? Anyone know?
Newspaper search shows 200 N. Highway 3.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Grew up in Dickinson. Remember the billboards of missing girls and these stories well.
Truvada
Drove down to Galveston the other day...T&P
schmellba99
AG
mm98 said:

This is basically where that huge softball park Big League Dreams is now built?

The killing field is on the SW corner of Calder and Ervin. Still looks like it did back then, not as remote anymore because of encroaching development but still undeveloped land like it was.
htxag09
AG
Just started this. League city police seem like they were on the ball….
CyAg86
AG
Tim Miller is a great guy. I worked at the same co with him 25 years ago. I remember him telling me about his daughter Laura and what had happened. He said he thought he knew who the killer was but the police could find enough evidence to make an arrest.
schmellba99
AG
htxag09 said:

To be fair, back in the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's a lot of local jurisdictions didnt talk to one another.

Inter-department communication and data sharing is fairly new, a lot of it came along with DNA databases and the internet becoming common.
htxag09
AG
schmellba99 said:

htxag09 said:

To be fair, back in the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's a lot of local jurisdictions didnt talk to one another.

Inter-department communication and data sharing is fairly new, a lot of it came along with DNA databases and the internet becoming common.
Sure. Also, I understand it's a one sided documentary. But, assuming this part wasn't fabricated....If my daughter, who had a health issue that required daily medicine, went missing and I reported it, but the police told me she's partying or a runaway and not to worry about her medicine because she can get it on the street, they'd probably have to arrest me as well....Also, telling the families they couldn't talk to each other or go check the lot where they suspected their daughter may be, while not checking it themselves.....
YourFavAggie
AG
213 Grove said:

MAROON said:

I think it's actually just south of Big League Dreams at the SW corner of Calder and Ervin. I live very close and you can see crosses off in the woods when driving by. Kind of eery
Aren't they planning to build a park over that lot now? in 2024 with additional baseball fields?

Just moved to the area. Back of our house made the netflix documentary (luckily off in the distance but still)
Eyes of texas Crying
mm98
AG
Just finished it. I have two good college friends that live in the adjacent area. I've passed that pay phone and turned at that Taco Bell many times.
schmellba99
AG
Don't disagree with that at all, and not saying that the LCPD didn't do as much wrong as it seems they did, just bringing a different aspect to it.

You also have to remember that the 70's and 80's were probably the height of the teenage run-away era. For every case where a kid was legitimately missing, how many ended up being kids that were mad at mom and dad or rebelling or whatever and ran away for some period of time? I can somewhat understand a PD not putting a huge priority over a missing teenager in the first day or so because of the frequency at which it turned out to be not missing back then.

The fact that League City PD refused the opportunity to be a part of the documentary is pretty telling though and no doubt puts them in a bad, bad light. And it sounds like that is an accurate assessment.
MAROON
AG
schmellba99 said:

Don't disagree with that at all, and not saying that the LCPD didn't do as much wrong as it seems they did, just bringing a different aspect to it.

You also have to remember that the 70's and 80's were probably the height of the teenage run-away era. For every case where a kid was legitimately missing, how many ended up being kids that were mad at mom and dad or rebelling or whatever and ran away for some period of time? I can somewhat understand a PD not putting a huge priority over a missing teenager in the first day or so because of the frequency at which it turned out to be not missing back then.

The fact that League City PD refused the opportunity to be a part of the documentary is pretty telling though and no doubt puts them in a bad, bad light. And it sounds like that is an accurate assessment.
what would be their incentive to being part of this? what benefit would they receive?
Beerosch
AG
MAROON said:

schmellba99 said:

what would be their incentive to being part of this? what benefit would they receive?
Maybe to get a lead on some decades old cases they have ****ed up from the beginning until now. On most of these shows you usually have someone from the responsible PD who's at the bare minimum pleading for leads.
Beerosch
AG
nm
schmellba99
AG
MAROON said:

schmellba99 said:

An opportunity to show that they have changed as an institution would be my first inclination.

The things that happened were 20, 30, 40 years ago. Hell, most of the folks that were directly involved aren't even there anymore. Coming out and at least being a part of the documentary to me would show that they actually cared and that the department has changed as a whole. But that's me, refusal to comment or take advantage of the opportunity to be included is a far worse look to me.
case04
AG
y'all got me watching this tonight.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.