Houston
Sponsored by

I-45 murders- Netflix

9,827 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
DustysLineup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if I really want to dig into this show, but some of the criticisms of the League City police sound really familiar from the Corll/Candyman case, except that involved hpd. Police departments back then were not interconnected with searchable databases, and police tended to assume the missing kids were runaways or off partying.
Sea Speed
AG
Harry Lime said:

Not sure if I really want to dig into this show, but some of the criticisms of the League City police sound really familiar from the Corll/Candyman case, except that involved hpd. Police departments back then were not interconnected with searchable databases, and police tended to assume the missing kids were runaways or off partying.

Exactly what i thought when I heard the runaway line. Kids everywhere were "running away."
schmellba99
AG
Difference between LC and HPD in the Candyman case is that HPD just flat out quit any investigation on that case after the 30th or whatever body was found.

They just said "welp, we are done with this!" And closed the case. That was criminal.
randy828
AG
maroon barchetta said:

schmellba99 said:

The D said:

Anyone watching this? I had no idea.

It's the #2 trending show now.

Watched it yesterday. Grew up not far from there, remember the Friendswood girl pretty vividly when it happened. The Killing Fields are well known around here.

Same.

My dad knew a family named Sikes in Texas City (if I remember correctly) whose daughter was taken and killed. I don't know if they ever caught the guy responsible. Guess I need to watch this show.
And a more recent article, both guys dead now.

https://www.galvnews.com/specialsections/article_867f2a89-d0b6-5b32-9b5b-0c68c2333439.html
MAROON
AG
watched the entire series last night. Learned a few new things (mainly about Hedrick). Think the guy who owned the trail ride place was really screwed by the locals. I just can't imagine a serial killer thinking it would be a good idea to leave the bodies right next door to his house.

In reality there were probably at least two serial killers, and then all the others that were killed over the years are unrelated.

On the production quality. I hated their use of stock footage many times that showed mountains in the background in some shots. League City is as flat as a pancake.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
randy828
AG
MAROON said:

watched the entire series last night. Learned a few new things (mainly about Hedrick). Think the guy who owned the trail ride place was really screwed by the locals. I just can't imagine a serial killer thinking it would be a good idea to leave the bodies right next door to his house.

In reality there were probably at least two serial killers, and then all the others that were killed over the years are unrelated.

On the production quality. I hated their use of stock footage many times that showed mountains in the background in some shots. League City is as flat as a pancake.
Have you never seen Uncommon Valor?? Galveston has plenty of mountains around it!
schmellba99
AG
randy828 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmellba99 said:

The D said:

Watched it yesterday. Grew up not far from there, remember the Friendswood girl pretty vividly when it happened. The Killing Fields are well known around here.

Same.

My dad knew a family named Sikes in Texas City (if I remember correctly) whose daughter was taken and killed. I don't know if they ever caught the guy responsible. Guess I need to watch this show.
And a more recent article, both guys dead now.

https://www.galvnews.com/specialsections/article_867f2a89-d0b6-5b32-9b5b-0c68c2333439.html
I think they did some excavations for her not too far from my house a few years back, off of 288 near 1462. Might not have been her, but pretty sure it was. Sad case.
RebelE91
AG
People like Hedrick's GF need to be charged with something. I know that will never be the law, but it's ridiculous what her daughter (the woman in the doc) went through knowing her BF spent time in prison for abuse of a corpse.
pasquale
AG
RebelE91 said:

People like Hedrick's GF need to be charged with something. I know that will never be the law, but it's ridiculous what her daughter (the woman in the doc) went through knowing her BF spent time in prison for abuse of a corpse.

My thoughts too and if I recall, Marla stated her mom was married to him?

I was confused too how or why the medical examiner destroyed the skull that showed the cause of death blow to head ?
htxag09
AG
I don't think he destroyed the skull. The prosecutor was saying he destroyed the old pictures that showed the cracked skull.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Harry Lime said:

redaszag99 said:

Where was the bar Texas Moon? Anyone know?
Newspaper search shows 200 N. Highway 3.

Word on the street is that it was on 3, just north of 518. The building currently is home to Danny D's Guitar Hacienda.

Where was the store with the pay phones? Just out of curiosity I drove by the calder rd site last week. Lots of development going on around there right now. Right next to the site is going to be a lighted sports complex. The spot where the girls were dumped must be pretty far back on the site, because they showed big trees. The front of the site was cleared not too long back and is now just a bunch of scrubby china berry trees.
12th Man Ag
AG
randy828 said:

MAROON said:

Have you never seen Uncommon Valor?? Galveston has plenty of mountains around it!

First thing I thought of when I read this post!
CDUB98
AG
As the father of a daughter, I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch this. I'd be an absolute wreck if I lost my daughter, and of the perp was ever caught...well....then it would become pure rage.

I didn't grow up in Houston, so reading y'alls posts is interesting, frightening, and saddening all at the same time.
Valtrex_11
CDUB98 said:

As the father of a daughter, I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch this. I'd be an absolute wreck if I lost my daughter, and of the perp was ever caught...well....then it would become pure rage.

I didn't grow up in Houston, so reading y'alls posts is interesting, frightening, and saddening all at the same time.
you will be ok watching a show on Netflix from the comfort of your home
Ag83
AG
Quote:

Where was the store with the pay phones?

The convenience (Valero) store on SW corner of Hobbs and 518 (across from Taco Bell)
DustysLineup
AG
CDUB98 said:

Know exactly what you mean, bro. If anything ever happened to my pup, no telling what I'd do. I just…I can't even.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Ag83 said:

Quote:

Where was the store with the pay phones?

The convenience (Valero) store on SW corner of Hobbs and 518 (across from Taco Bell)

Damn. I know that place well. Ok.
fka ftc
Grew up in Dickinson as well, east of Hwy 3 off of Hughes Rd. One of the previous documentaries mentioned the red caboose in the general area, though not mentioned in this series.

What was shown was that Ellen Beason was said to have drowned in swimming in a pond with Clyde Hedrick in a swimming hold "just off the highway". They showed this as the sand pit located just east of Hwy 3 and south of Hughes Rd. (29.45023228003423, -95.03411130980588 on your google maps).

Know the area well, used to ride my bike along the south and west of the pond. We were not supposed to be back there and it was ingrained in us to never swim in the sand pit. What sticks out in my memories is a time in the late 1980's I was riding my bike after just tossing it over the fence. As soon as I got on the "trail", there was an old, dirty purse sticking out of the mud / sand. Never told anyone even though it freaked me out and since I never knew the area was associated with any missing or dead person never thought much of it again, until watching this.

Been tempted to send a note to the producers or investigators. I am sure it has long disintegrated but I could probably point to within 20 feet of where I remember seeing it. Crazy.

Agree, this is a good watch and Tim Miller is showing the wear and tear of all those years. He's a good man for what he has done with Equusearch.
Jack Pearson
AG
agproducer said:

The William Reece cases served like an afterthought. They brought the victim from north Texas into it, but never really explained that.

It was good overall, but posts still need to be explained.
Didnt Reese kidnap her on his way back from oklahoma and she was found down here with Jessica Cain?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I wonder if Reece or Hedrick ever got looked into for the Fort Worth Trio missing girls.

Fort Worth Missing Trio
Mr.Bond
AG
redaszag99 said:

Where was the bar Texas Moon? Anyone know?

I live VERY close, like 0.1 miles from where Laura Smithers lived and was abducted.

Grew up close by here and remember the search for her when I was in juco

I believe it's now easy street on hwy 3
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Nitro Power
AG
Can someone explain the relevance of the girl from Denton?
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Nitro Power said:

She was one of the 3 Reese killed.
Jack Pearson
AG
Nitro Power said:

Quote:

agproducer said:
The William Reece cases served like an afterthought. They brought the victim from north Texas into it, but never really explained that.

It was good overall, but posts still need to be explained.
Reese kidnapped her on his way back from oklahoma and she was found down here when he led authorities to the bodies of her and Jessica Cain
Motis B Totis
AG
New remains found near Friendswood

https://abc13.com/tag/human-remains-found/

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/12/13/human-remains-found-in-search-for-missing-friendswood-man-police-say/
agracer
AG
maroon barchetta said:

schmellba99 said:

The D said:

Same.

My wife lived in Texas City when this happened and went to HS with her (didn't know her, but it was a pretty small town so everyone knew everyone). Said her disappearance freaked out all the HS girls.
94chem
I saw the series. I guess Reese killed at least 3, and Hedrick killed 4, IIRC? The problem with all of this is that unless these monsters are actually battling a shoulder angel, there's now way they only kill 3 or 4 over a period of years. They've gotta be like vampires - Bundy, Gacy, Ridgway, Corll, Dahmer, Williams (???), Resendiz, Ramirez, Chikatilo...

I think it was Marla (beautiful woman, felt so sorry for her) who told about Hedrick coming home one night with bloody gloves and telling her mother "I did it again." After spreading the viewing over a few weeks, it was hard for me to keep up with all the names and story lines, but what a chilling moment that was. At least Miller knows that Hedrick killed his daughter. They just couldn't get a conviction.

I learned to never let the cops give me legal or relationship advice. Like when they told Tim to not talk to the family of the other victim. How many times does he wish he had told them to shut up and do their damn job instead of advising him on personal matters...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
maroon barchetta
Chip Howard of KZNE 1150 "The Zone" in Aggieland is having an author on his show on Tuesday the 20th who will talk about the killing fields. I stream his show sometimes from their website. It's 4pm-6pm weekdays.

Not sure what time that author will be on. I'll update when I find out. It should be interesting.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Chip Howard of KZNE 1150 "The Zone" in Aggieland is having an author on his show on Tuesday the 20th who will talk about the killing fields. I stream his show sometimes from their website. It's 4pm-6pm weekdays.

Not sure what time that author will be on. I'll update when I find out. It should be interesting.

One of the things I absolutely do not miss about B/CS.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
RebelE91 said:

Man...that poor girl had to live in a freaking single wide trailer with that monster until she graduated from high school...and the peepholes...

Agreed...should be some way to hold the mom accountable.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

RebelE91 said:

Man...that poor girl had to live in a freaking single wide trailer with that monster until she graduated from high school...and the peepholes...

I hear you, but I also sympathize as I think the mom was just as much a victim. It takes a lot of strength to go to the police to tell them about what she suspected as I'm sure she'd experienced abuse before and feared he may be able to do the same to her.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

RebelE91 said:

I hear you, but I also sympathize as I think the mom was just as much a victim. It takes a lot of strength to go to the police to tell them about what she suspected as I'm sure she'd experienced abuse before and feared he may be able to do the same to her.

Yeah I definitely get that perspective for sure. I think my hang up is the dude showed the little girl his ***** in the pool early on in the relationship with her mom then had to live with that guy for like 6 years afterwards. I can't even imagine.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.