Houston
Sponsored by

Galveston this weekend?

3,006 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bularry
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of y'all down in Galveston this weekend? I've never seen it like that, at least not in recent memory, was absolutely insane.
Aggiemike96
AG
You're saying Galveston was busy on a 3-day July 4th weekend after COVID lockdowns?
maroon barchetta
This might be enlightening.

https://m.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/35847

Have a listen.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Yall talking about the island proper, or the west end? Always been two very different experiences in my book. Hard to imagine the west snd getting too ghetto for comfort. Maybe a weekend renter or two, but not enough to make posts about.
T Durden
AG
Don't be a *****.
TxAg05
AG
Down at Pirates about to watch fireworks show now. It's been a great weekend.
Al Bula
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Hard to imagine the west snd getting too ghetto for comfort.
I do say, those young white whippersnappers causing much to-do on their motorized carriages drinking soda pops and chasing lightning bugs will be the death of this country. The skullduggery they commit in their polo shirts and boat shoes is louder than the tabernacle choir on Christmas! The screams of fishing reels and boat riggings sets my dear old ma's heart a-twitter. For Shame!
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I drove back Sunday night, it took double the amount of time as normal. I have seen it worse though.
maroon barchetta
555-PINF
Does everyone still stack up on the highway so they can exit at 61st instead of just staying on Broadway and taking a right on any of the other numbered streets that run you to Seawall?
maroon barchetta
555-PINF said:

Does everyone still stack up on the highway so they can exit at 61st instead of just staying on Broadway and taking a right on any of the other numbered streets that run you to Seawall?

People are stupid, so I'll guess "yes".
TX04Aggie
AG
Hahaha that always makes me LOL.
Sea Speed
AG
You could exit harbor side, go all the way to 2nd street and take a right and pop out on seawall faster than you could get to seawall on 61st during the busy weekends, and that isnthe long way to the beach. People are ao bad at critically thinking when it comes to traffic.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Was somewhere else this weekend, but was similarly blown away by how many people were out and how f'ed up they were. Guess it's been a while since I've seen a 4th of July wknd crowd like that. Easy to forget how quiet 2020 and 2021 were.
maroon barchetta
My mom lives on the island. I called her to ask her how bad it was and she said she had not been to the Seawall or Broadway or the Strand. She was pretty much staying put.

She did drive to Kroger to pick up a few things on Friday morning. She got to the parking lot and turned around and went home. She said it was a madhouse already.
Sea Speed
AG
The galveston Walmart would rival any podunk east Texas Walmart as trashiest in the state.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
How about a Dollar General?
I Am A Critic
Sea Speed said:

You could exit harbor side, go all the way to 2nd street and take a right and pop out on seawall faster than you could get to seawall on 61st during the busy weekends, and that isnthe long way to the beach. People are ao bad at critically thinking when it comes to traffic.
What if you're going to the west end? Your way still ends up at 61st and Seawall heading west, which I try to avoid at all costs if I can. Lately, I've been going through Freeport and across SLP to get to Sunset Cove.
Username checks out.
maroon barchetta
I Am A Critic said:

Sea Speed said:

What if you're going to the west end? Your way still ends up at 61st and Seawall heading west, which I try to avoid at all costs if I can. Lately, I've been going through Freeport and across SLP to get to Sunset Cove.

As long as traffic to surfside isn't a cluster that's fine.
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Bypass the 61st exit and take a right on 57th off Broadway. That's what I did this weekend and it was relatively smooth. Don't know how that compares to the surfside route though.
Chewy
AG
West End was pretty dead yesterday from a people standpoint. Beach pretty open and not many cars running up and down the road. Was guessing a lot of people went home on Sunday evening or Monday during the day. Based on FWAs post it sounds like it.

The fireworks on the various beaches were solid though. That's the second time I've been down there for the 4th and San Luis Pass goes hard. We were at Teramar and can see down that way. A solid 90 minutes of constant barrages. Not sure how long they went but from 9:00 to 10:30 it was a show. It was a little lighter in 2020 when the beaches were supposed to be shut down but for the most part they were lighting them up. I'd put San Luis Pass up against any collection of individuals when it comes to July 4th fireworks.

I'd bet collectively individuals spend between $250K to $500K on fireworks on the West End. Talked to one lady and she spent $800. She was done early while others were going strong.

The best for our area was some kid got loose with a Roman candle and shot it under a car across the beach access parking area. The people standing next to that car scream and take off. Luckily nothing bad happened. The mom is yelling at the kid who shot it while that kid gives some lame excuse.

Meanwhile the other people go back to their car and you can hear their kids crying. The kids are probably 5-8 years old.

The mom of the kid that shot it yells out, "We're really sorry about that. Are y'all okay over there?"

The dad of that group hollers back, "Yeah we're good. Just spooked the kids" as the kids are still crying.

Everybody was good and went back to regular July 4th activities. Gives me some hope for America we can shake off an incident and get back to celebrating our independence with massive amounts of Chinese imported black powder.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Someone I know must've made a fireworks stand very happy this week. Had not seen a private show like that in a couple years.
TopFlightReject
Sea Speed said:

The galveston Walmart would rival any podunk east Texas Walmart as trashiest in the state.
lol.. hard to beat Livingston Walmart
TopFlightReject
555-PINF said:

We used to drag our TT down to the West end every 4th of July.. I hated that exit and traffic there with a passion especially with a 35' TT in tow.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
TopFlightReject said:

Sea Speed said:

lol.. hard to beat Livingston Walmart
Cleveland? Might be a close competition on a weekday.
Ag81Golf
Hotdog Hamblin said:

Bypass the 61st exit and take a right on 57th off Broadway. That's what I did this weekend and it was relatively smooth. Don't know how that compares to the surfside route though.

Don't pass along any more of our secrets.
Buford T. Justice
AG
The Livingston Wal-Mart???!! Really? How far behind the pine curtain have you ventured? The Livingston Wal-Mart is nice and clean.
bularry
Sea Speed said:

I'd pay money to watch a camera at that Walmart. must visit when I go to the island.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.