Houston
Sponsored by

Tow Truck Experience

4,530 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
chico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Funky experience with tow trucks on our lovely freeways. My car stalled/died yesterday afternoon, Katy Frwy inbound at Post Oak. I was able to stop on the left shoulder with hazards blinking under the Post Oak bridge. Traffic in the mainlanes was unaffected. I called safeclear/911; they asked make/model and I waited for their tow truck (promised for 10min arrival). I then scaled over the center retaining wall to under the bridge supports; I was completely safe, separated from traffic. The tow truck never showed up. I called my mechanic (Tech Auto on Waugh) and his tow truck showed up in 15min (50mins after my first call to 911/safeclear).

But doesn't Harris County provide free tows off the freeway? Tech Auto's tow truck driver explained. Harris County pays $60/tow; the driver gets $30 and the towing company gets $30. I drive an old BMW. According to the driver, BMW and some other makes have a "feature" that the rear wheels lock if the car detects the driver's seat is empty but the wheels are spinning. That means they need to hoist the rear wheels onto a dolly, complicating the tow. He said no driver is willing to do that, in traffic, for only $30. Makes sense.

My mechanic's advice if you need a tow? Don't tell the dispatcher your car make/model. Just describe the basics (color, number doors) and claim you don't know the make/model. A tow truck is more likely to show up. Fuel pump gave out is the issue.
Flashdiaz
AG
how the hell is it believable you don't know the make of the car? I guess tow truck drivers don't care about those details while speeding to make the next dollar.
swimmerbabe11
I very much look forward to this thread devolving into everyone sharing their worst tow truck experiences.
chico
AG
adding to the experience - while waiting on the tow truck, some dude stopped his car just in front of mine. He got out wearing a yellow safety vest. He claimed to be a mechanic and would fix my car, right there! I told him no thanks....I call people like that an entrepreneur.
BillYeoman
Back in October of 2021 my tire blew and I couldn't find the wheel lock.

Tow truck showed up. Driver was Syrian and a nice guy.

He towed it to the dealership.

The End
Bigballin
AG
Last year, the rib was driving her Yukon on memorial through the tunnel construction and hit something causing the right two tires to immediately fail. HPD called a tow truck to the tune of $200 to have it towed to discount to get two new tires for next to nothing due to having road hazards. That's all.
Texaggie7nine
You don't pay the extra few bucks a month with your insurance to have roadside assist and free towing?
7nine
chico
AG
yes I do. Last time I used my car insurance was a few years ago for my car at the house. 2 hours later the tow truck guy showed up. I opted for what I thought would be faster service through the county safeclear.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Quote:

I opted for what I thought would be faster service through the county safeclear.
Big Cat `93
AG
I saw near-fisticuffs between tow truck drivers 3 years ago. Witnessed a wreck early in the morning at Memorial over the Beltway. When the drivers showed up, they started arguing about whose jurisdiction it was in. The constables had to calm everyone down on top of investigating the wreck. So I guess not having a tow truck show up is as bad as having too many show up.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Paying extra for something and then referring to it as a free service is peak 2022.
txags92
AG
Best/worst wrecker story? OK...here goes:

I had an accident on BW8 a few years back east of 59N, before they finished the main lanes. I was eastbound about to go through an intersection and a guy and his drunk buddy swerved in front of me going about 10 mph (I was going about 45). I hit him pretty hard, but no airbag deployment. He tried to run, so I sped up to keep up with him long enough to get a license plate #. Just then, he decided to pull over. I called the cops to report the accident and his attempt to flee, then got out and waited for him to approach my truck.

He apologized for his drunk buddy grabbing the steering wheel and yanking him over in front of me (trying to get him to go get more beer). He asked if we could exchange insurance info and talk in the morning to work something out (it was about 11:30pm). I said if he could get me insurance info and let me take a picture of his ID before the cops got there, I would be fine, but I was planning to stall him long enough for them to get there and do a full report because I didn't trust him at all.

Sure enough, he went back to "look for his insurance card" and took off. I called the police back and let them know he had fled the scene. About that time a couple of wreckers showed up and were parked behind me waiting for the cops to show up. They were listening to the police scanner and said police were responding to a level 1 call for a domestic violence incident nearby so we would probably not see them right away.

A few minutes later, the guy shows back up and parks behind the wreckers. I pointed him out to the wrecker drivers and we started walking toward him. He immediately peeled out and tried to leave again, but clipped one of the wrecker trucks on his way out. The wrecker drivers all jumped in their trucks to chase him. I called the cops and told them about it and told them I was going back up the road to the lighted gas station to wait for them instead of sitting out in the dark on the shoulder.

Finally about an hour later a police officer shows up to take the report and gives me a report #. Just then, the call came over their radio about a fugitive being chased into the woods nearby. They were finally able to put two and two together and it turns out the guy who pulled in front of me was out on parole and driving his girlfriends car. He had gone back to her house to try to get her to come back to the scene with him to give me her insurance card and get me to list her as the driver of the car. Her parents objected and there was a standoff between him and her father that was the "Level 1 Domestic incident" the wrecker drivers heard about.

He apparently left in her car again before the cops got there and came back to the scene to try to get me to settle up without insurance, but got spooked when we all started walking towards him. When he took off and hit the wrecker, they all were chasing him all over NE Houston and talking to the cops on the radio about where he was. Then the cops figured out it was the same guy they were trying to find for the domestic incident and joined in the chase. The guy bailed out and ran into the woods before getting caught by the cops. I had to go down to the substation on Will Clayton at about 1:30am to verify that the guy they caught was the guy who was driving the car I was in the accident with. He had no shirt on and was all cut up and scratched from being dragged through the brush.

The cops ended up giving me the insurance card his girlfriend gave them for her car and I was able to bend my front bumper out enough to be able to drive home and didn't end up needing the wrecker. About two weeks later, my insurance came back and let me know that the girlfriend had been dropped from her mom's insurance about a month before the accident and the card was no good. So after all that, it ended up being covered under my uninsured motorist coverage like it would have been if I had just let the dude run away in the first place.
aggiedata
AG
You can mess up a bmw with the wrong tow truck. I'm surprised you didn't know that driving an old bmw on Houston highways.
Al Bula
AG
Bigballin said:

Last year, the rib was driving her Yukon on memorial through the tunnel construction and hit something causing the right two tires to immediately fail. HPD called a tow truck to the tune of $200 to have it towed to discount to get two new tires for next to nothing due to having road hazards. That's all.
that's karma for using a stupid pejorative like "rib."
Bigballin
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

You don't pay the extra few bucks a month with your insurance to have roadside assist and free towing?
I do but HPD wanted it moved immediately
Bigballin
AG
David Happymountain said:

Bigballin said:

that's karma for using a stupid pejorative like "rib."
Here we go with the karma police crap.
JSKolache
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I very much look forward to this thread devolving into everyone sharing their worst tow truck experiences.
Drivers are scum, and they know it, love it, and DGAF. That is my experience.
aTm2004
AG
Flashdiaz said:

how the hell is it believable you don't know the make of the car? I guess tow truck drivers don't care about those details while speeding to make the next dollar.

Identify as a woman.
aTm2004
AG
I almost got killed in that area right past 610 because of a dumbass tow truck driver. I was in the left lane headed east on 10 and the tow truck driver was right in front of me. We were going probably 65, which was crazy for that time of day, but I'll take it. Then he slammed on his brakes and came to a complete stop. I slammed on mine as well, and while sitting there, I look up and see an 18 wheeler with trailer tires smoking coming right towards me, who then goes onto the left shoulder and passes us by at about 50 mph. Traffic clears to the right and the tow truck dumbass starts getting over to get someone who was on the side of the road right past the on rap from 610. The guy carpooling with me was yelling at the guy in Spanish while I drove on with my legs feeling weak.
94chem
aTm2004 said:

I almost got killed in that area right past 610 because of a dumbass tow truck driver. I was in the left lane headed east on 10 and the tow truck driver was right in front of me. We were going probably 65, which was crazy for that time of day, but I'll take it. Then he slammed on his brakes and came to a complete stop. I slammed on mine as well, and while sitting there, I look up and see an 18 wheeler with trailer tires smoking coming right towards me, who then goes onto the left shoulder and passes us by at about 50 mph. Traffic clears to the right and the tow truck dumbass starts getting over to get someone who was on the side of the road right past the on rap from 610. The guy carpooling with me was yelling at the guy in Spanish while I drove on with my legs feeling weak.
Wasn't this problem caused by an 18 wheeler driving on the wrong side of the interstate?
aTm2004
AG
Huh?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I believe he's saying the 18wheeler performed an evasive maneuver passing him on the shoulder to avoid making an 18wheeler/atm2004/wreckneck sammich.

I'd like to think dash cam video of that incident emailed to dps would have ramifications, but i doubt it would
94chem
Charismatic Megafauna said:

I believe he's saying the 18wheeler performed an evasive maneuver passing him on the shoulder to avoid making an 18wheeler/atm2004/wreckneck sammich.

I'd like to think dash cam video of that incident emailed to dps would have ramifications, but i doubt it would
ah, got it. Confused by what "look up" meant.
David_Puddy
AG
Most tow truck drivers are the scum of the Earth. That's all that I have to add.
aTm2004
AG
Yeah, I left off looking up at the rearview, so I can see how it's confusing. My mistake.

Exactly that. The 18 wheeler had to veer to the left shoulder to keep from running me over while I'm watiing for the effing tow truck to see an opening where he can move across several lanes of traffic.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Use Priority Towing if yall ever need a tow.
Sea Speed
AG
I had to call roadside assistance to get my truck towed to the shop when somehow a hole got blown in my oil filter and the guy that showed up was every bit of 400 lbs, was covered in psoriasis, had not showered in idk how many days and was wearing some filthy clothes and flip flops that were showing off his nasty toe nails and fat roll cankles. I was horrified.
txags92
AG
Sea Speed said:

I had to call roadside assistance to get my truck towed to the shop when somehow a hole got blown in my oil filter and the guy that showed up was every bit of 400 lbs, was covered in psoriasis, had not showered in idk how many days and was wearing some filthy clothes and flip flops that were showing off his nasty toe nails and fat roll cankles. I was horrified.
Just before he came to get you, he was over at Hooters flirting with the waitresses...
94chem
Sea Speed said:

Usually these experiences are reserved for flying coach from Seattle to Miami.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
94chem said:

Sea Speed said:

Usually these experiences are reserved for flying coach from Seattle to Miami.
on spirit.
rilloaggie
AG
https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2627821/replies/43089079

When I got in this wreck they had to hook the front of my truck(the blue one) to a tow truck to yank the two trucks apart. This wreck happened about 1000 feet from where I was living at the time. I could see my apartment while we were filling out paperwork and the cops were writing up their report (back in 2015 when cops did such things). My truck was still drivable, no broken lights or anything. The cop told me I could drive home, but the tow truck driver wanted to charge me $150 to drag it across the street to my apartment and said "if I hook up to a vehicle I legally have a right to charge to tow it!" That escalated into a shouting match which drew the attention of the cops. Luckily they told the dude to unhook my truck and let me go. Cool story bro indeed!
swimmerbabe11
My duplex in college was frequently stalked by a tow truck driver. If you had never been towed, you probably hadn't been to our house much. It didn't bother me until he started blocking the alley that I used to get to my parking. That was very annoying, especially coming home super late at night when I'd have to make a separate block and roll around the other direction. Minor inconvenience, but the straw that broke the camels back. Also, his girlfriend once came running to our house asking if we could let her in to get away from him (we didnt..hope she is okay..but also.. yikes)

I was waiting tables and some of my regulars were TCU police. While giving them free coffee, I casually brought up that I felt very uncomfortable with this tow truck driver parking in the alley facing my duplex at all times of night, probably stalking us and watching our schedules. They said that they would take care of it.

I think that is the only time I have truly played up the "I'm just a sweet innocent girl" type thing.

My only other notable experience with a tow truck driver was after hitting a cow between hearne and calvert on 6. My car was totalled and that guy gave me, my dachshund, and my shih-tsu, a ride into town and stuck around until I was picked up by a ride my mom had arranged for my through Aggie moms club because someone else had daughters on their way to dfw. He was very rough and I think a little on the "I'm not sure what to do but I can't just leave her there" side of things. I appreciate that dude very much and hope he is doing well. I was probably very concussed and was definitely shaken up.

HtownAg92
AG
There are plenty of A-hats, but there are good ones too who deserve equal time:

Had a monster blowout on 10 on a Saturday morning in my old Expedition. Made it over several lanes to the right shoulder. By that time, tire was shredded and car was basically sitting on rim. Couldn't get the crappy jack that came with it under the car. Tow truck pulls up, hooks up, puts me, wife and mother-in-law in the back seat of his truck, tows us to a safe parking lot, changes the tire. Tried not to accept any money but I forced him to.
chico
AG
OK fate is out to get me. It happened again. The earlier episode was a fuel pump gave out; that car is fine now. Late last night I'm driving to Hobby to pick up my wife. I hit *something* on the Gulf Frwy just outbound of 610, north of Broadway. Blew out my left, front tire. Side airbag went off. Luckily I was in the right lane and managed to get to the shoulder. Called 911, nobody showed. Called again, still nobody showed. It took 25 minutes before they showed up. I was safe after safely exiting the car and scooching over the right guardrail next to the abyss. What the heck does it take to get HPD or a wrecker to show up in decent time?
Going on 40 years living in Houston (I'm an old) and never had a need for freeway help before the last 2 weeks!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
chico said:

OK fate is out to get me. It happened again. The earlier episode was a fuel pump gave out; that car is fine now. Late last night I'm driving to Hobby to pick up my wife. I hit *something* on the Gulf Frwy just outbound of 610, north of Broadway. Blew out my left, front tire. Side airbag went off. Luckily I was in the right lane and managed to get to the shoulder. Called 911, nobody showed. Called again, still nobody showed. It took 25 minutes before they showed up. I was safe after safely exiting the car and scooching over the right guardrail next to the abyss. What the heck does it take to get HPD or a wrecker to show up in decent time?
Going on 40 years living in Houston (I'm an old) and never had a need for freeway help before the last 2 weeks!
You had a flat tire and called 911? Why not just change the tire?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.