Houston
Sponsored by

Don't a Few Here Own Galveston Beach Front Rentals?

19,416 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by 94chem
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would love to ask about availability this weekend if so.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm actually looking for a weekend in June. Let me know as well.
94chem
Mine is in Crystal Beach. And currently available. Ocean view, 100 yards back, Stingaree area.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My old man has a couple spots down in Texas city, if y'all are interested. I don't think you can catch the cancer in just a weekend.
Sea Speed
AG
Enough rooms and beds for 2 couples with 2 kids each?
555-PINF
94chem said:

Mine is in Crystal Beach. And currently available. Ocean view, 100 yards back, Stingaree area.

Yours on VRBO or similar, or do you use Cobb/Swedes? We go a few times a year and would be glad to give our money to another Ag over some generic nobody.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm looking for someone with a rental that can accommodate a 30th birthday party. Doesn't have to be Galveston... if someone has a good place in Houston that's cool too. Not sure on how many overnight guests, but would anticipate about a dozen or so during the day.
94chem
3 BR, 2 Bath, plus downstairs shower. Sleeps up to 12. 1st BR is King, 2nd is queen and bunks, 3rd is queen and bunks. 1640 square feet. So yeah, plenty big enough for 2 families of 4.

It's on Airbnb. I have a LOCAL property manager who cleans.

Cobbs and Swedes control the bulk of the market down there. They charge high fees, and they have a conflict of interest because they are both into sales as well as management. So, when it comes time to rent properties, do you think they focus on their own...or somebody else's? And when it comes time to sell, they basically trade them back and forth between each other at 6% commission. Caveat emptor.

atm94unc98 at the google mailbox if you'd like to know more.

airbnb.com/h/seahorse-ranch-crystal-beach-tx
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
555-PINF said:

94chem said:

Yours on VRBO or similar, or do you use Cobb/Swedes? We go a few times a year and would be glad to give our money to another Ag over some generic nobody.
Thanks, and I'd rather rent to people that I know won't trash the place. Airbnb kind of gives me an insurance policy with the review process, but if I know who's coming, I can handle the booking myself and save you the platform fees. Like any business, returning customers make life better for everyone.
94chem,
Sea Speed
AG
Emailed you!
94chem
Sea Speed said:

Emailed you!
Replied - and thanks for the interest. I'd love to have a couple of folks come down, have a good time, and spread the word.
94chem,
555-PINF
Just emailed you.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Bolivar is nice.
Sea Speed
AG
Harry Lime said:

Bolivar is nice.

Used to spend a lot of time there when I was in school fishing, looking forward to going back.
spadilly
S
Screw the beach house rental, I just want to rent the famous golf cart.
Sea Speed
AG
Was kinda hoping ole boy would pop up on this thread and I could rent that spot
94chem
I appreciate those of you who have inquired and/or booked. I figure, as far as etiquette goes, I'm not advertising if I don't post a link in the thread...I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wrong.

Anyway, as a suggestion, if you haven't been to Bolivar and want to make a trial run, I noticed the rates are about to double once Spring Break season hits (based on pricing models). I've still got the last weekend in February available at off-season rates, so let me know if you want to go for a few days.
94chem,
Diggity
AG
my understanding is that you're 100% ok to advertise your own personal property (at least that's the policy on the RE forum). I don't know that they would care if you do it here, especially since it was solicited.
Sea Speed
AG
And 94chem isn't competing with any sponsors, which im pretty sure is the reason for the rule on the real estate board.

Looking forward to relaxing for the weekend.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Sea Speed said:

And 94chem isn't competing with any sponsors, which im pretty sure is the reason for the rule on the real estate board.

Keep in mind that if you plan to head over to Galveston this is Mardi Gras weekend.
Sea Speed
AG
No galveston for us
Sea Speed
AG
94chem said:

555-PINF said:

94chem said:

Thanks, and I'd rather rent to people that I know won't trash the place. Airbnb kind of gives me an insurance policy with the review process, but if I know who's coming, I can handle the booking myself and save you the platform fees. Like any business, returning customers make life better for everyone.

Are you allowed to deny a renter at all from airbnb?
94chem
Yes. If you have enough positive feedback as a traveler, you can autobook if the host turns it on. In that case you can't cancel somebody, or at least not easily. But you can block them in the future if they cause problems. And you can block anybody who isn't qualified to autobook. For example, I've said no to pretty obvious post-prom parties. Airbnb does help with exposure, but the protections for hosts are pretty limited, imo.
94chem,
Sea Speed
AG
94chems place is pretty legit. Would recommend.
agz win
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

Sea Speed said:

Keep in mind that if you plan to head over to Galveston this is Mardi Gras weekend.

It's still two weekends, right? FTAB in the last Saturday parade.
woodyhayes
Live on Bolivar Peninsula and surrounded by rent house. Stay over in Galveston please. No joy in having a place here anymore because of rent houses.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Yes. It's this weekend and next weekend. Haven't seen anything about the FTAB marching in any parades this year.
94chem
woodyhayes said:

Live on Bolivar Peninsula and surrounded by rent house. Stay over in Galveston please. No joy in having a place here anymore because of rent houses.
That's an interesting take. I get it - it's no fun to be surrounded by a party on all sides with nobody being accountable.

But, that said, there's nothing about Bolivar that implies anything other than a tourist town. And if you live there, it's probably because you're serving the tourists, so you actually need them.

So maybe you're the exception - you neither depend on the tourists nor like them - but complaining about them is like moving to LaPaz and complaining about the elevation. It kind of comes with the territory.
94chem,
woodyhayes
Very true. It is a tourist town of sorts. We built here in '04 in a "quiet" subdivision that was mainly full time residents. House survived Rita and Ike and it is our home now that we're retired. But, as time went on and people aging and selling, people from Colorado, Wi.,California, etc. started buying and turned them into rent houses. Other resident on the peninsula aren't happy either. Besides the local grocery store and 6 or 7 local restaurants, there's not much here except the beach.
Sea Speed
AG
I was kind of surprised at the elementary/middle school. I was surprised there are enough full time residents with kids to support that.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Couple Aggie buddies of mine own a good amount down there:

https://staybeachbox.com/
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
woodyhayes said:

Very true. It is a tourist town of sorts. We built here in '04 in a "quiet" subdivision that was mainly full time residents. House survived Rita and Ike and it is our home now that we're retired. But, as time went on and people aging and selling, people from Colorado, Wi.,California, etc. started buying and turned them into rent houses. Other resident on the peninsula aren't happy either. Besides the local grocery store and 6 or 7 local restaurants, there's not much here except the beach.

When Not in my backyard becomes Damn, it's in my backyard!
AustinCountyAg
woodyhayes said:

so you built a vacation home, and retired at said vacation home, but you're upset that other people utilize vacation homes around you?

94chem
woodyhayes said:

From somewhere around West Canal Street headed back to High Island, the entire peninsula was wiped clean by Ike. The rest of the peninsula down to Port Bolivar didn't fare a lot better, but much more stuff survived.

When I'm in some of these neighborhoods, I see a fair amount of ~9' pilings. Most of the houses are between 14 - 18' now. I asked my friend if those shorter houses were ones that survived Ike. He said "no." Those were the houses where only the pilings survived, and with pilings around $1200 apiece, the owners who were "lucky" enough to still have theirs built new houses on top of them. I think my house is about 17'. Correct if I'm wrong on my info; I like to get my history right.

One take-away is that after Ike, construction standards improved on Bolivar. I don't know that anything could withstand Ike, but the likelihood of poorly constructed homes washing into other homes and making the un-survivable debris wall has diminished. Best case, you're only borrowing your home from nature anyway.
94chem,
htxag09
AG
My parents live on the island in corpus. They have HOA regulations against short term housing rentals.

Either way, people will *****. You'd think it'd be as easy as "don't move to a vacation rental spot if you want peace and quiet" or "don't move to a short term rental restricted spot if you want to do a short term rental" but, weirdly, it's not that easy.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.