Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD

2,912 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by T Durden
Waltrip88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After dropping my daughter off at school yesterday and returning home a lady approached me at my front door stating she was from HCAD and wanted to know more about my home renovation and asked if she could look inside.

I told her no and went about my business.

What are my obligations to HCAD? Do I have to let them know about any improvements? Has this happened to anyone else?
cajunaggie08
AG
I don't think HCAD Field Appraisers ever go inside the properties.

Was the person wearing a blue jacket or vest that says HCAD on it?

https://hcad.org/hcad-resources/hcad-residential-property/hcad-residential-field-appraiser-facts/
Mr. McGibblets
AG
She gonna pop you on your characteristics. I would of asked her to ask questions and be done with it.
E
AG
Yeah i'm not letting an HCAD appraiser in my house.
Martin Q. Blank
Waltrip88 said:

After dropping my daughter off at school yesterday and returning home a lady approached me at my front door stating she was from HCAD and wanted to know more about my home renovation and asked if she could look inside.

I told her no and went about my business.

What are my obligations to HCAD? Do I have to let them know about any improvements? Has this happened to anyone else?
No obligation. Though she'll probably suspect you built the Taj Mahal inside and you'll have to prove otherwise. So you'll protest and bring in pictures and they'll eventually get what they wanted.
stroodles
AG
screw em all
Waltrip88
AG
She was just a lady with a clipboard. Two weeks ago I had a lady open my front door and just walk inside stating she had some questions.

"Me too. First what are you doing in my house?"

She said she lived down the street from me even though I've never seen her before and that she wanted to know what I was doing to the house.

Sent her on her way too.

Foamcows
AG
sounds like they snitched on you
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Waltrip88 said:

She was just a lady with a clipboard. Two weeks ago I had a lady open my front door and just walk inside stating she had some questions.

She said she lived down the street from me even though I've never seen her before and that she wanted to know what I was doing to the house.

Sent her on her way too.

Wow, that takes a real sense of self importance. Don't think she would've gotten around me to get inside.
schmendeler
AG
Waltrip88 said:

Sent her on her way too.

She opened your door and walked into your house uninvited? The ****?
AlaskanAg99
AG
I have 3 German Shepherds that would just love for some rando to let themselves into my house.

But that would be a huge lawsuit against me.
Waltrip88
AG
schmendeler said:

Waltrip88 said:

Sent her on her way too.

Yeah. We were eating dinner on our patio and she just walked in. Didn't even knock or ring the doorbell.
A is A
AG
Waltrip88 said:

schmendeler said:

Waltrip88 said:

Sent her on her way too.

Yeah. We were eating dinner on our patio and she just walked in. Didn't even knock or ring the doorbell.
Where the F do you live that this is acceptable?
Waltrip88
AG
A is A said:

Waltrip88 said:

schmendeler said:

Waltrip88 said:

Sent her on her way too.

Where the F do you live that this is acceptable?

Spring Branch. I still don't believe it happened.

After asking me if I lived there she asked how much I'm spending on the renovation.

I'm going to call HCAD to see if the lady was legit and answer some basic questions.
htxag09
AG
You should have called the police. Eff that
aTm2004
AG
Waltrip88 said:

Sent her on her way too.

In that instance, you get physical to get her out because you don't know her intentions. Let her complain and call the cops. Pretty sure they'll remind her she's a dumb ***** who needs to learn her effing place and should count her blessings you didn't blow her effing head off, self entitled *****.
GigEmAgs14
AG
I would double check if this person was legit with HCAD. I'm willing to bet most likely not...I hope you have security cameras for your home as this person might have been scoping out your house. Even if this person is a legit employee of HCAD, they were trespassing. I would be on the county's a$$ about this.

-Fellow appraiser (not an HCAD appraiser)
Bockaneer
AG
"Neighbor" lady was criminal trespassing
91G 'EM 94GGIES!
H-town ag
AG
HCAD cars have been all over Spring Branch and Spring Valley this week. Mostly seen just sitting in their cars and taking notes. No way I am talking to any of them or letting them on property.
Scientific
AG
It'd be a hell of a plot twist if she's indeed a neighbor doing everything stupidly possible to fight her own HCAD appraisal. Either way, pretty brazen to just walk in like that.
NoahAg
Waltrip88 said:

schmendeler said:

Waltrip88 said:

Sent her on her way too.

You wanna get shot? That's a good way to get shot.

F HCAD
F tax collectors
Let's go, Brandon!
File5
AG
If you haven't already, makes sure to opt out of info sharing online at HCAD. It doesn't preclude people from getting your public information by physically going to the county office, but makes it more difficult than a quick hcad search. Bonus: they've moved the submission of this form online so you don't have to mail it in.
File5
AG
This is a crazy story btw. If someone just walked in my house I would not be very charitable. ADT was really pushy on me one time as well. Started walking in mid-sentence asking "mind if we check your alarm panel?" Wtf.
aTm_bomb
AG
Got a how to? I imagine it's cunningly buried on their website
File5
AG
Sure!
https://hcad.org/hcad-forms/hcad-all-forms

Then scroll down to internet opt out
redag06
But I like using hcad to look folks up.
File5
AG
Well sure, don't tell any of THOSE people obviously
SnowboardAg
AG
I had one stop by in spring branch yesterday as well. He knocked and asked about 1 permit and I told him it was siding. He never asked to enter the home and he left. You would think these folks would invest in drones vs walking.
Jeff Patel
AG
HCAD does not need to go on your property.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Jeff Patel said:

If you would of said "in your property" then yes you would be correct. However you said "on" and you sir are incorrect.

cajunaggie08
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

Jeff Patel said:

If you would of said "in your property" then yes you would be correct. However you said "on" and you sir are incorrect.

Believe it or not, they don't NEED to go on the property. They will go on it if you aren't there to deny them access, but if you are there to say they can't get on your property, then they just guess your dimensions from the car

Quote:

In most projects, the appraiser will knock on the front door, identify themself as an HCAD appraiser, and ask permission to measure the home and any other structures on the property. If access is denied, the appraiser will leave the property and estimate the size and characteristics from the street. If the property owner is not home, the appraiser will measure the sections of the structures that are accessible without entering a gate.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I used to work there. I kinda know what they can and can't do.
cajunaggie08
AG
Well then HCAD is in contradiction of their own written policies in their website. I am SHOCKED that such a thing could happen
File5
AG
Who to trust, who to trust...
I trust the government to tell me they're not doing illegal things, but not to actually not do them.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Whatever happened with the poster on here that was looking into HCAD for selling data?

It was a deal where either HAR, the title company, or somebody was selling data from private transactions to HCAD.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.