Houston
Sponsored by

HLSR Transportation Committee

3,711 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dr. Horrible
agbq06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys anyone on Transportation? Is there a hierarchy in place to driver the trams?

Got some questions, I'm currently on RE but thinking about jumping.
Dr. Horrible
I am, but not the driving side so can't directly answer your question. But I do know we need people across most of the teams. I'd say just put your name on the list, and get an interview lined up and ask the question then. In person interviews are done, so it's just phone interviews from here on out most likely.
Dr. Horrible
But side plug for anyone else reading this. If you're interested in joining the transportation cook team, we're recruiting too!
AgToadie
Been on it in the past. To drive the trams or tractors you will have to attend a driver training course at NRG and express your willingness to drive to your captains. Many people are not willing to take the time for training nor want the extra responsibility. I think you'd have a good shot.

TXAG 05
AG
Is it different than the golf cart training? It's just a PowerPoint and a couple no brainer questions at the end.

Although when they first started doing the certification, it was like a 2 hr defensive driving type class
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The golf cart training was tedious but effective. It thoroughly broke me of my habit of towing toddlers in strollers from the back of a golf cart.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

But side plug for anyone else reading this. If you're interested in joining the transportation cook team, we're recruiting too!

What does that entail?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Looks like several committees are recruiting:

• Rodeo Express
  • Ticket Services
  • Medical And Safety
  • Facility Services
  • Transportation
  • Gatekeepers
  • Livestock
  • Rodeo Merchandise
  • Recycling
  • Rodeo Operations
  • Directions And Assistance
  • Wine Garden

https://www.rodeohouston.com/Get-Involved/Volunteer/Volunteer-Opportunities
Dr. Horrible
We cook lunch or dinner for the transportation committee members (the cart and tram drivers like others in this thread have been talking about) that are working their shifts that day. It is usually about 150 meals each shift. Teams of 4-5 work together every 5 days alternating lunch/dinner shifts. Each of the four shifts is a different meal that gets cooked.

I love it because it's more of a back of house role. I get to volunteer but not have to deal with the public.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Harry Lime said:

The golf cart training was tedious but effective. It thoroughly broke me of my habit of towing toddlers in strollers from the back of a golf cart.
They started cart training because some lady fell of a golf cart and got run over,
CoachRTM
AG
What are the time commitments like for the various committees?

Trying to figure out if i have the ability to volunteer after my normal 8-5 downtown job. (Can leave a little earlier than 5 if I have to)
TXAG 05
AG
CoachRTM said:

What are the time commitments like for the various committees?

Trying to figure out if i have the ability to volunteer after my normal 8-5 downtown job. (Can leave a little earlier than 5 if I have to)

It depends on the committee and what service they perform. Most will need you there before 5 unless you are open to working on the weekends
Dr. Horrible
For a lot of the working committees, it's 40 hours across the 3 weeks of the show. For ours, it comes out to 4 shifts that alternate am/pm every 5 days. So you might work Monday 8-5 then Saturday 4-12, or something like that.
If that isn't your thing, we do have spots open on our bbq weekend team. For that the shifts are once a day for 4 days during bbq and you knock out your whole commitment in one weekend. Granted, it is Thu/Mon as well, so that would have to factor into it.
I usually end up taking 1-2 vacation days during the show to volunteer. But I also know some people work for companies that give them time off to volunteer, or if you have a flexible schedule like being able to leave early at 330-4 a couple days it makes it easier too.
TXAG 05
AG
You can also look into one of the sales committees,(poultry auction,steer auction , etc)
Dr. Horrible
I was actually going to mention this, but it is probably too late for this year. Per the email that just came out yesterday, these are the committees that still have openings for this year (mostly working committees):
  • Rodeo Express
  • Ticket Services
  • Medical And Safety
  • Facility Services
  • Transportation
  • Gatekeepers
  • Livestock
  • Rodeo Merchandise
  • Recycling
  • Rodeo Operations
  • Directions And Assistance
  • Wine Garden

Edit to add that I'm an idiot since this list was just posted earlier in the thread :SMH:
CoachRTM
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

We cook lunch or dinner for the transportation committee members (the cart and tram drivers like others in this thread have been talking about) that are working their shifts that day. It is usually about 150 meals each shift. Teams of 4-5 work together every 5 days alternating lunch/dinner shifts. Each of the four shifts is a different meal that gets cooked.

I love it because it's more of a back of house role. I get to volunteer but not have to deal with the public.

I would be so down for this. I just don't know how I could make the lunch shifts work. Best case scenario I can get out of work at 3pm.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

How do I specifically sign up for the cook team? Do you need any specific licensing or just willing to work?

Edit to say email is in profile if you want to reach out .
Diggity
AG
Stringfellow Hawke said:

Dr. Horrible said:

How do I specifically sign up for the cook team? Do you need any specific licensing or just willing to work?

it's pretty ****ing cutthroat

Dr. Horrible
YCoachRTM said:

Dr. Horrible said:

I would be so down for this. I just don't know how I could make the lunch shifts work. Best case scenario I can get out of work at 3pm.
You can always try to swap, there are usually a lot of people with conflicts of some sort… also, a lot of times, one of the lunch shifts might be on a weekend or something… if you let them know during the interview, they might be able to help a bit on that front so that maybe you'd just have to do one swap.
Dr. Horrible
Stringfellow Hawke said:

Dr. Horrible said:

When they do the interviews, they have you fill out a form as part of that process. One of the questions is if you have a team preference. Just put cook team or chuckwagons on that line and the people scheduling the interviews help take it from there. If for some reason you get to an interview and it isn't for the cook team, just tell them and they'll fix it.

And nothing specific… anyone can do it. Prior experience cooking for large groups of people (tailgate, cook offs, catering, restaurants, etc) is nice, but not required.
bq11
AG
I drive a tram. Granted I'm on a team that only works during BBQ so my team works a little different than the show teams. But all I had to do was say I wanted to drive a tram and go to training. And every year I have to go re-train. If you're gonna switch tho I think they had to have names in for who was going to tram training in last month. Tram training is Feb 12.
Dr. Horrible
If anyone is interested in positions on transportation (any position), there are in person interviews tonight (Thursday, 20th) at 630 at NRG center room 200. All you need to do is have joined the show and paid your show dues and show up. Show dues can be paid online or even in person before you interview by going to the membership desk on the second floor of the center.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.