Houston
Sponsored by

Top Chef coming to the Tine

3,827 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HtownAg92
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not really a Top Chef fan but pretty cool to see the city's food scene spotlighted on TV.

I'll probably tune in

https://www.click2houston.com/features/2021/09/21/houston-is-selected-as-next-culinary-destination-for-season-19-of-bravos-top-chef/
DiskoTroop
After they snubbed Houston in the Top Chef: Texas season I kinda wrote them off. Plus Padma pisses me off.
htxag09
AG
From the comments:
Quote:

Sam Harmon1 HR AGO
Maybe they'll get some bonded-out violent felon to share his or her recipe for "Purple Drank" or "Lean".
Al Bula
AG
For my money it just doesn't get any better than Chris Shepherd.
DustysLineup
AG
For my money it just doesn't get any better press than Chris Shepherd.

ptothemo
AG
So they're gonna spend an entire season cruising around and trying food from a list of back yards? Best pizza from this one, best burger from this one, and don't even get me started on best bbq from all of them. Should be great.
ptothemo
AG
htxag09 said:

From the comments:
Quote:

Sam Harmon1 HR AGO
Maybe they'll get some bonded-out violent felon to share his or her recipe for "Purple Drank" or "Lean".

"Two white cups and I got that drink
It could be purple, it could be pink
Depending on how you mix that ****"
Al Bula
AG
Harry Lime said:

For my money it just doesn't get any better press than Chris Shepherd.

Ha, not shocking you missed it.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Top Chef is great show with a ton of Texas representation as past stars

Tre Wilcox
Tiffany Derry from BMT
John Tesar
Paul Qui (uchi)
Kristen Kish (relocated to Texas)
Gabe Erales (last seasons winner)
Dawn Burrell (last season finalist)(yes the Olympic runner and sister to an Olympic runner)
Sasha Grumman

I imagine the will have a local part time guest who "shows them the city", Dawn Burrell will likely play a role. Used to love Padma but here social schtick is tired especially from her, she's still a 10/10 thought. Gail Simmons is the real prize. However, if you can't enjoy a show that leans left and will likely disproportionately highlight previously under represented food cultures then it won't be for you
bularry
Padma is so hot, I don't care about whatever social opinions she has...
HtownAg92
AG
bularry said:

Padma is so hot, I don't care about whatever social opinions she has...
I thought that way for a long time, but they just got more and more unbearable. Plenty of heat out there to look at that doesn't grate on your every last nerve.
Petrino1
Over/Under on how many Chris Shepherd appearances we see this season lol? I seem to remember Bryan Caswell and Tom being friends, or Bryan being a guest judge on past Top Chef seasons. But he is out of the restaurant game so I wonder if he will be on as well.
DustysLineup
AG

Quote:

Dawn Burrell will likely play a role
She's mentioned in the HBJ article:
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/09/21/top-chef-to-film-season-19-in-houston.html

Quote:

After finishing as a runner-up in last season's finale, Houston chef Dawn Burrell will make an appearance this season. Other alumni appearances have also been announced, but the list of contestants has not. Host Padma Lakshmi, head judge Tom Colicchio and judge Gail Simmons are all returning.
Rest of the article is diversity boilerplate and Houston First talking points.
HtownAg92
AG
I'd expect (and hope) that we'll see Hugo, Bun B, Kaiser from Himalaya. They'll probably pick a BBQ guy so maybe Killen.
texpert68
AG
They need to hit on some of the Asian cultures that we have a ton of options here. Not sure it is 'fine dining' enough though.
Ronnie
AG
I want to see Chef Machete on this
Panama Red
AG
https://www.yahoo.com/now/top-chef-host-padma-lakshmi-004956372.html

Padma donating money for abortion in Texas. So she's a bit like Cosby "she kills babies, but she saves"
gindaloon
AG
Hoping they showcase many of Tilman Fertitta's restaurants. True representation of Houston dining.
TarponChaser
Panama Red said:

Padma donating money for abortion in Texas. So she's a bit like Cosby "she kills babies, but she saves"

I don't know when it began but social media has really caused exponential growth in celebrities who don't know how to stay in their lane and instead feel the need to opine on things they know zero about other than what they've been told to think.

What would be the applicable alteration to make "shut up & dribble" work here? "Shut up & cook" maybe??
DiskoTroop
Panama Red said:

She's so GD stupid.
Panama Red
AG
Maybe, but would still crush with Ganesha's trunk. And no worry about having any trophies show up later.

TarponChaser
Nice reference but I like, "I'd destroy that like Shiva, Destroyer of Worlds" better.

DiskoTroop
Hurray for low standards!
Panama Red
AG
She's got nothing on that Good Housekeeping stroke material, eh?
HtownAg92
AG
Panama Red said:

Maybe, but would still crush with Ganesha's trunk. And no worry about having any trophies show up later.

TarponChaser
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

If you're "TheFunnierPhideaux" the others must have set incredibly low bars for humor.
DiskoTroop
TarponChaser said:

TheFunnierPhideaux said:

If you're "TheFunnierPhideaux" the others must have set incredibly low bars for humor.
Yes. Yes he did.
swimmerbabe11
this is pretty fun. I'm excited and will watch just because its houston.
Panama Red
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

this is pretty fun. I'm excited and will watch just because its houston.

Hmm. Odd take for the Internet. Needs more outrage. Try again.
jetch17
AG
I'm sure they'll jock Bludorn … half the contestants go there when visiting Houston anyway
Matsui
AG
How is it?

cajunaggie08
AG
TarponChaser said:

Panama Red said:

I don't know when it began but social media has really caused exponential growth in celebrities who don't know how to stay in their lane and instead feel the need to opine on things they know zero about other than what they've been told to think.

What would be the applicable alteration to make "shut up & dribble" work here? "Shut up & cook" maybe??
Are famous people not allowed to have opinions? You clearly have enough of them to go around
TarponChaser
cajunaggie08 said:

TarponChaser said:

Panama Red said:

Are famous people not allowed to have opinions? You clearly have enough of them to go around
I'm a lot smarter and more informed than most celebrities.
htxag09
AG
TarponChaser said:

cajunaggie08 said:

TarponChaser said:

Panama Red said:

My issue isn't with the celebrities who have and express their opinions. It's with the dumbass general public who puts so much weight into what they say
DiskoTroop
htxag09 said:

TarponChaser said:

cajunaggie08 said:

TarponChaser said:

Panama Red said:

My issue isn't with the celebrities who have and express their opinions. It's with the dumbass general public who puts so much weight into what they say
And the inflated sense of self worth it gives said celebrities.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.