Houston
Sponsored by

You Own A Pistol

5,705 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Madman
Stringfellow Hawke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Madman said:

Stringfellow Hawke said:

Are there other practice sessions available? Range open to public?
That particular range is open to the public. I think they may also rent out individual bays for practice. I know they will do that for members.

If you want to be able to practice in an open environment and not just standing in a lane at an indoor range a membership at Wallis Orchard Gun Range, Thunder Tactical in Conroe or The Ranch in Eagle Lake would be a good idea. There are others but I am not familiar with every range in the area and what they offer.

Shooting at the local indoor range is the intro to skill building of course and if that is what you want to accomplish then there are plenty of good indoor ranges to start at in Houston. Athena Gun club on I10 offers good classes with one on one instruction. Ask for Armando.

I am looking to learn to do exactly what you do in Instagram profile videos. Email in profile if you want to send info that way.
Madman
AG
Looking like rain we will be rained out.
Madman
AG
Match cancelled due to rain and the conditions of the course not being safe to use for moving and shooting.

The first Saturday of November will be the next intro type match. I will post the registration link when it is available.
FourAggies
AG
Madman,
The requirements list "one mentor per squad". Does that mean the club will provide one experienced person to the monitor the squad or that the registrants have to find a mentor to join their squad? Thanks!
Madman
AG
FourAggies said:

Madman,
The requirements list "one mentor per squad". Does that mean the club will provide one experienced person to the monitor the squad or that the registrants have to find a mentor to join their squad? Thanks!
The club provides the mentor. You only need to bring yourself and your equipment.

They will go over the safety rules but the two big ones to think about and mentally prepare for are.

• You are not allowed to walk or run with your finger inside the trigger guard unless you have the pistol up and are aiming at something. In short don't put your finger on near the trigger unless you are aiming at a target
  • There is an imaginary plane that moves with the shooter called the 180. Normally this plane is parallel with the back of the stage. You can't break that imaginary plane with the barrel of the pistol

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/4/18/avoiding-the-180-dq

Breaking either rule would result in a disqualification from the match. Doesn't matter if it happens on the first stage or the last. Its a very safe sport because they are so particular about following the safety rules. The match will have a short safety talk before the match starts and then the mentor for your group of shooters will go over in finer detail and give you examples of the rules.
Madman
AG
November New Generation Intro Match

https://practiscore.com/gps-new-generation-intro-match-november-2021/register

For the moment at least I am not planning on attending this match

Quote:

Match starts: November 06, 2021 @ 8:30 AM Match ends: November 06, 2021 @ 3:00 PM
Wallis, Texas 77485
This is a beginner friendly match focused on bringing new shooters down the rabbit hole. Whether you're looking to start competition shooting, break out of the square range, or introduce someone new to action shooting sports, this is the match for you.

Please visit our website for a full guide on what you need to know about this match:
http://www.generationpracticalshooters.com/newgen.html

Here's a summary:
-The match scoring is Hit Factor.
-Magazine capacity full or 10 rounds.
-All unloaded starts.
-20 rounds max per stage
-6 stages
-At least one mentor per squad
-Stages focused on the basics
-Divisions: Optics, Iron Sights, Optics 10 (10 round max capacity), Iron Sights 10 (10 round max capacity), and PCC.
-Other than holster safety rules, no restrictions on equipment.

Holster safety rules:
-Holster must completely prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger while holstered
-No shoulder holsters
-No holster that points the muzzle of the handgun farther than 3 feet from the competitor's feet while standing relaxed.

Please be there by 8:00. Shooters meeting at 8:15
Hammer down (shooting starts) 8:30am.

Refunds are available only if you withdraw 72 hours before hammer down. A 5% fee will be deducted to cover the processing fees.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.