Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone into art galleries?

1,786 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bondag
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I'm a sculptor in BCS and have to take my kid to Houston CHildren's medical center for her diabetes checkup... She'll go in with my wife... and they are the only ones allowed.. appointment is about 2 hours..

so instead of sitting in a lobby for 2 hours... I was going to visit a few art galleries around the village, and maybe north of that... google seems to show a few north of 59..

Was wondering if any of you knew any galleries that might be interested in my work...

dartwoodworks on ig and fb..
BBRex
AG
I like the Menil Collection, and they do shows with various artists, but I have no idea what criteria they use to pick exhibits or shows.
BQ_90
AG
Check out the Harris county maintenance barns. I hear best collection of African art is kept there
MAS444
AG
Yeah the menil is great. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to hock some of your art.
MelvinUdall
Treasures has a great live "art" performance I think you would enjoy.
TXAG 05
AG
The Houston Museum of Fine Arts is right there.
DustysLineup
AG
Am I having a dementia moment, or did you ask that here before with several of us telling you everything we could think of about galleries in the area?
studioone
Harry Lime said:

Am I having a dementia moment, or did you ask that here before with several of us telling you everything we could think of about galleries in the area?

you are, and have a great memory... lol..

I did... but it was more than a year ago and I cant access posts more than a year old...

and my life changes so now im really really searching for galleries... and now I also have to go down every 3 months just to get my kids diabetes checked... so...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I would pick up a magazine called Gallery. I would guess it would have what you need.
htxag09
AG
The thread isn't much help but here you go. For future reference, just use google to search what you want "houston art galleries" for example and add site:Texags.com.

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3080338
NASAg03
Most small art galleries in Houston are super liberal and only show themed collections appealing to fellow artists. E.g. Station Museum of Contemporary Art.

Next option is at a brewery, wine bar, or coffee shop. You could try Khons Wine Darts Coffee Art in Montrose.

After that is art walks, farmers markets and other public shopping events.

Good luck. It's a hard go getting your work noticed and out there. My best friend in Calgary is an artist and he's worked every angle possible. Best places to start are local cafes and all that. They get free art to show, patrons are happy they support local artists, and artists get visibility and some money.
Sea Speed
AG
Galveston has a decent art walk and you can drink in the street there. Several of the galleries have wood works in them. Its usually a pretty good time. I'm sure this is no help but wgas.
Martin Q. Blank
NASAg03 said:

Most small art galleries in Houston are super liberal and only show themed collections appealing to fellow artists. E.g. Station Museum of Contemporary Art.

Next option is at a brewery, wine bar, or coffee shop. You could try Khons Wine Darts Coffee Art in Montrose.

After that is art walks, farmers markets and other public shopping events.

Good luck. It's a hard go getting your work noticed and out there. My best friend in Calgary is an artist and he's worked every angle possible. Best places to start are local cafes and all that. They get free art to show, patrons are happy they support local artists, and artists get visibility and some money.
You could also paint the electrical boxes at street intersections.
aggiemike02
AG
Redbud gallery in the heights. there is also quite a few along spring and summer streets just south of I-10 near Taylor.
swimmerbabe11
I would check out Sawyer Yards maybe?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Grogan Gallery is pretty cool.
MarylandAG
First and foremost best of health to your little girl. From your FB and IG postings you are a master with a lathe, beautiful work!

Good luck, every once in a while I fire up the tools in the garage, just a weekend hobbyist, but never was any good at turning wood. Making pens was fun though.
studioone
Sea Speed said:

Galveston has a decent art walk and you can drink in the street there. Several of the galleries have wood works in them. Its usually a pretty good time. I'm sure this is no help but wgas.

Yes, I know.. Im already in one there.. just wanting to broaden my horizons.
Sea Speed
AG
Sorry, I thought this thread was about just looking at galleries not getting in to them. What gallery are you in i may have seen your stuff
studioone
Delete
studioone
Affair d'art and sometimes From The Heart owned by the same guy,. But mostly Adart.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Check out archway gallery too, i bet they'd be into your stuff
Bondag
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I would check out Sawyer Yards maybe?
Pre covid they would have first Friday or something like that, but I don't think they are just open to the public.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.