Houston
Sponsored by

Fence repair/installation?

2,189 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
Bibendum 86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last night's storm blew down a stretch of wooden fence between me and next door neighbor. Looking for recommendations for repair or replacement, and all suggestions gratefully received.
Martin Q. Blank
Your husband or neighbor doesn't have a hammer?
Bibendum 86
AG
Oh, this is far beyond a DIY fix. About 60 feet of 8' board-on-board fence blown flat.
JSKolache
AG
Same issue here. Everyone I called this morning is swamped already - will be lucky to have it quoted by Friday.
sushi94
AG
Any of you considering claiming insurance on the fence? I don't even know if its covered or not. The cost to remove and replace my fence (18 years old) more than doubled from the original. I was shocked at the quote I got back in March. I can only imagine what an updated quote would be.
combat wombat™
AG
So, this is not a company. It's a hispanic guy and he has some helpers. They've done a lot of fences in my subdivision. He does good work and is reasonable, price-wise. He did our fence. I didn't check for insurance. His wife is the person to call. Her name is Delmy. Seven one three four two nine seven one five three

Hwy30East
Republicfence.com

713-259-9439

Aggie71013
AG
If you can get them to call you back / show up. I'm in the process of getting a new fence unrelated to the hurricane and they missed three appointments to get quotes. After the third they ghosted me.
txags92
AG
Katy Fence Co. 832-903-1380

Just had Oscar and his guys do 2 sides of our back yard and they did an excellent job.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Houston Fence Co. quoted neighbor $45 a foot for 6' pine dog ear.

That's how you say you don't what their business without saying you don't want their business!
Jason_InfinityRoofer
How much should it cost?
txags92
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

Houston Fence Co. quoted neighbor $45 a foot for 6' pine dog ear.

That's how you say you don't what their business without saying you don't want their business!
Don't be surprised if he doesn't find much better pricing for a decent company to do the work. Between ridiculous lumber pricing and difficulty getting good labor cheap, nothing is priced like it was a year or two ago.
FtBendTxAg
AG
We hired someone for $28. But it's a basic fence without a fancy rot board and they're doing a few other things like removal of trees and ish.

Not $45.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Good luck. Ridiculous prices drove me to DIYing about 200', including 75' of 10ft tall. This was in 2016, before lumber went sky high. Bought a cool Paslode gas fired framing nailer out of it.

Rent the small powered auger/tractor from Home Depot (not the hand-held version). Will take no time to dig post holes.
txags92
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Good luck. Ridiculous prices drove me to DIYing about 200', including 75' of 10ft tall. This was in 2016, before lumber went sky high. Bought a cool Paslode gas fired framing nailer out of it.

Rent the small powered auger/tractor from Home Depot (not the hand-held version). Will take no time to dig post holes.
If you DIY, and especially if you plan to use a motorized auger, make sure you do your 811 call and know where all the utilities are. We have an easement along our back fence and there is a gas line, electrical, sanitary sewer, and 3 different sets of fiberoptic communications/cable lines back there. Our contractor got them all (except the sanitary) marked via 811, and still ended up hitting one of the service connections from the gas line that wasn't marked by the locating service. They handled it well and it wasn't their fault at all, but hitting one of those without having called 811 first can cost you ALOT of money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.