Houston
Sponsored by

Hey, Lake Conroe…..

5,401 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FHKChE07
ShotOver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can go ahead and start releasing to lower lake levels. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Kingwood.
Al Bula
AG
Lake Conroe:

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Don't worry. 3" average runoff over the Lake Houston drainage basin would only fill a completely empty Lake Houston 55 times. I'm sure Lake Conroe will make the difference.
AgLiving06
Conroe is at least 2 feet below conservation level and I don't think they are expected to get much out of this.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
How bout you point some fingers at the sand barons? Has the sand lobby gotten to you already?
Al Bula
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

How bout you point some fingers at the sand barons? Has the sand lobby gotten to you already?
publicly traded sand baron?!
CDUB98
AG
Where's 94chem?

Maybe he's already lining up a few hundred lawsuits for those evil Lake Conroe dwellers.
CDUB98
AG
It's definitely, definitely a good idea to fill your river system with water right before a biblical flood.

That will definitely, definitely fix everything.
94chem
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Don't worry. 3" average runoff over the Lake Houston drainage basin would only fill a completely empty Lake Houston 55 times. I'm sure Lake Conroe will make the difference.
Wow, you're back. I guess your client didn't want you posting on the other thread any more? I'm guessing your client knows what 36" would do as well, huh? Don't worry, I've never been in a single suit. And I know your job is merely to sow doubt and to protect your client. Pretty easy job in this case, and I'm sure you've earned your keep.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
W
AG
I drove down 105 today and put some WD-40 on the dam gates
Stat Monitor Repairman
Publicly traded money baby!

#neverforget
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Tabasco
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I have no dog in this fight, but I'm wondering why you post if lake Houston was empty stats. Lake Houston has never been empty ( maybe dinosaurs days… rhaaarrr!). Why not state actual data of real world happenings?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
My client was dismissed long ago, thanks for following up on it. I'm sorry math hurts.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Tabasco said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I have no dog in this fight, but I'm wondering why you post if lake Houston was empty stats. Lake Houston has never been empty ( maybe dinosaurs days… rhaaarrr!). Why not state actual data of real world happenings?
You think Lake Houston is prehistoric?
FarmerJohn
AG
Would be curious how much Lake Conroe matters when you have all that water from Cypress and Bridgelands headed east with nothing to really slow it.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
The reason I used the completely empty Lake Houston example is to point out that no amount of preemptory lowering of Lake Houston (or preloading the tributaries) is going to create enough freeboard capacity to make any meaningful difference in the event of a direct hit by a tropical storm. Man-made Lake Houston was designed as a drinking water reservoir, not as a flood control installation (contrary to the mandate of the San Jacinto River Authority).

Houston Public Works policy now mandates lowering the lake by 1 foot, or 11,854 acre/feet, in the event or a 3" or greater rain event. Lake Houston is fed by nearly 2,500 square miles (1.6MM acres) of increasingly developed land. As you can see, it's a drop in the bucket in an broad impact event.
FHKChE07
AG
All this at the risk of draining increasing valuable drinking water for the nation's 4th largest city.
Mas89
AG
The newly constructed Hwy 99-grand parkway will have a major impact slowing down flood water from the north and east of Lake Houston. They basically built a huge dam.
CDUB98
AG
Only emotionally reactive people believe lowering Lake Houston makes a damned bit of difference.
CDUB98
AG
FHKChE07 said:

All this at the risk of draining increasing valuable drinking water for the nation's 4th largest city.

Considering we have Lake Conroe, and live in a typically wet environment, I think we'll be okay. We're not Los Angeles or South Africa where they don't get much rain normally.
FHKChE07
AG
Generally, I agree with you but we have a short memory because it wasn't so long ago that we were in a multi year drought. Before the memorial day floods there were talks about shutting down the last boat ramp at lake Travis. Estimates are we lost over 6 million hundreds of trees because of lack of water.
I Am A Critic
FHKChE07 said:

over 6 million hundreds of trees

What kind of common core bull**** number is this?
Username checks out.
evestor1
Lake Conroe killed 6 million hundreds of trees in Austin.
Flying Crowbar
AG
Username checks out
FHKChE07
AG
Sorry. I thought it was hundreds of thousands but I looked it up because you people are pedantic and didn't edit correctly. Estimates are over 6 million trees across the area.
YellAg2004
AG
What does the water level in Lake Travis have to do with drinking water in Houston?
FHKChE07
AG
The whole state was under a drought and drinking water was at a premium. I was just using lake Travis as an example.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Lake Conroe isn't a flood control lake. Just a reservoir. Will have almost zero impact lowering it. Plus lake Conroe is only a fraction of the lake Houston watershed. Will do virtually nothing.
schmellba99
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Lake Conroe isn't a flood control lake. Just a reservoir. Will have almost zero impact lowering it. Plus lake Conroe is only a fraction of the lake Houston watershed. Will do virtually nothing.
Shhhh!!!!! Don't let logic into a good rant.
FHKChE07
AG
I tried for a couple of years after Harvey to no avail.
chimpanzee
It's the mask mandate of flood mitigations.
FHKChE07
AG
It really is! I think I remember that my calcs showed that at peak flows, Lake Houston would have filled up in like 8 minutes. It is really hard to comprehend the amount of water that was pouring from the sky.
gougler08
AG
This thread definitely delivers
chimpanzee
FHKChE07 said:

It really is! I think I remember that my calcs showed that at peak flows, Lake Houston would have filled up in like 8 minutes. It is really hard to comprehend the amount of water that was pouring from the sky.

Lake Houston is a funnel with a giant restrictor plate (1960 bridge) in the middle of it. Serious people would have come up with something by now beyond some proposed gates that four years later are inching along the mother-may-I, federal funding route.

Unless the output of the new gates comes close to the flood stage inputs, the math isn't in anyone upstream's favor.

I still want an LA river style massive paved ditch with a straight shot from the dam to the bay.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.