Houston
Sponsored by

Game Watching

2,313 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SquanchyAg
Seersucker Ag 2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where do the people in their 30s watch the Aggies these days? I saw the Howdy Club spot this past weekend was McIntyre's downtown.

The spot was Pub Fiction last time I was relevant.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
The best game watching is my back yard.
cajunaggie08
AG
According to the Houston A&M club's facebook page, they have watch parties at Clutch Bar for those in town and at The Backyard Grill for those closer to the suburbs. The Katy A&M club had their watch party at Cooper's if you're on the west side. I think they change locations weekly.
AgCPA95
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

According to the Houston A&M club's facebook page, they have watch parties at Clutch Bar for those in town and at The Backyard Grill for those closer to the suburbs. The Katy A&M club had their watch party at Cooper's if you're on the west side. I think they change locations weekly.
Katy will be back at Coopers for CU game as well per their FB page.
VictoryLapAg
AG
Is Cooper's really the best option in Katy to watch the game? It just doesn't seem like a great choice, but I could be wrong. Anyone go and how was it?
AggieStan
Clutch Bar? Carry a gun
I Am A Critic
VictoryLapAg said:

Is Cooper's really the best option in Katy to watch the game? It just doesn't seem like a great choice, but I could be wrong. Anyone go and how was it?
What do you suggest as a better option?
Username checks out.
VictoryLapAg
AG
Off the top of my head, Little Woodrow's (where it used to be), Walk-Ons, Mo's Irish Pub, Lucky's Pub, Growler's (called something else now, but don't recall new name). Cooper's seems a little bland to me, but I could certainly be wrong and maybe it was a great time. That's why I'm asking if anyone went and how was it.
htxag09
AG
Obviously, whoever has game volume
randy828
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Where do the people in their 30s watch the Aggies these days? I saw the Howdy Club spot this past weekend was McIntyre's downtown.

This is what I saw too, McIntyre's and if you go to McIntyre's website, they have an advert saying it also.

What I don't like about it is that on the same McIntyre's website, they say 21 and over only. We were going to watch the game there that last weekend, but when I saw that on their site, decided on another place.

Thought it was strange, but maybe Pub Fiction was the same?
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
htxag09
AG
It's a bar. Why would 21 and up deter you?
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
randy828 said:

Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

This is what I saw too, McIntyre's and if you go to McIntyre's website, they have an advert saying it also.

What I don't like about it is that on the same McIntyre's website, they say 21 and over only. We were going to watch the game there that last weekend, but when I saw that on their site, decided on another place.

CDUB98
AG
AggieStan said:

Clutch Bar? Carry a gun

At Washington and T.C. Jester?
randy828
AG
Just think it is strange the Howdy Club would choose a place that you can't bring your whole family to watch a game with other Aggies.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
CDUB98
AG
randy828 said:

Just think it is strange the Howdy Club would choose a place that you can't bring your whole family to watch a game with other Aggies.

Isn't the Howdy Club run by a bunch of 20-something single people? If so, that explains it. They have no clue.
cajunaggie08
AG
randy828 said:

Howdy Club is supposed to be for recent grads and mainly those under 30. Not that you cant be a recent grad and have kids, but scouting out kid friendly locations is not what the Howdy Club is prioritizing. If anything, the less kids the better. You're better off looking up where the Houston A&M club is meeting up.
cajunaggie08
AG
CDUB98 said:

randy828 said:

Isn't the Howdy Club run by a bunch of 20-something single people? If so, that explains it. They have no clue.
I'd say its intentional to chose a place that doesn't allow kids. They aren't wanting some guy with his 12 year old and 8 year old in tow chastising them for using curse words or even worse....booing at a tv
randy828
AG
Got it, didn't realize it is only for recent grads.
Petrino1
CDUB98 said:

AggieStan said:

Clutch Bar? Carry a gun

At Washington and T.C. Jester?
It can get a little "hood" in there.
Petrino1
Watched the TAMU-CU game at Mcintyres downtown last weekend. Great crowd, beer specials ($3 michelobs), lots of tv's, oh and amazing talent everywhere you looked. Would recommend.
TarponChaser
I thought the Howdy Club game watching/events are pretty much an explicit "meat up" event for younger grads that are generally single.

In fact, I know several married couples (now in their late-30's or early/mid-40's) that met at Howdy Club events.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Yep, the Howdy Club formula is (or was) simple: pick the game watch location where (1) they will put the game audio on; (2) offer drink discounts and/or donations to the club scholarship fund; and (3) 20-somethings will show up in droves. It's hard to believe I've been out of that scene for a decade. Great memories and great people.

ETA- they don't deter folks outside of the target demographic from showing up, but I probably wouldn't take my kids if for no other reason than it's usually too loud to talk without shouting and @sses to elbows packed.
jjdavis85
AG
For what it's worth, Katy's is at Scholars and Scoundrels this week for New Mexico.
Petrino1
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Yep, the Howdy Club formula is (or was) simple: pick the game watch location where (1) they will put the game audio on; (2) offer drink discounts and/or donations to the club scholarship fund; and (3) 20-somethings will show up in droves. It's hard to believe I've been out of that scene for a decade. Great memories and great people.

ETA- they don't deter folks outside of the target demographic from showing up, but I probably wouldn't take my kids if for no other reason than it's usually too loud to talk without shouting and @sses to elbows packed.
Yep, and the bars they pick are typically hip places where 20 somethings frequent. Although the crowd at Mcintyres last weekend was pretty diverse, I saw people of all ages there. There was an old army Ag at the bar in his 60's drinking by himself, having a grand old time chatting up the 20 something year old hotties that went near him lol.
MAS444
AG
This depresses me as I realize I'm closer to the 60 year old creepy old dude than 20 somethings.
Petrino1
MAS444 said:

This depresses me as I realize I'm closer to the 60 year old creepy old dude than 20 somethings.

I should've mentioned all of the girls were loving him! Hey if I'm 60 and drinking and watching football while cute 24 year olds are flirting with me, sounds like a good life to me!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Howdy Club probably doesn't stop people over 30 from entering a happy hour, but you should start naturally start feeling a little old around their crowd by 30.

Also, no one wants to see kids at a bar; this isn't Wiss-can-sin, Olaf. Just invite friends with kids over to your house to watch or something.
htxag09
AG
Honest question, as my kid is 9 months so I have no idea, but do kids even enjoy the whole going to a restaurant/bar to watch a game? I imagine even at a place with plenty of stuff for kids to do, like presslys, they'd get bored and be a pain in the ass before the 4 hours a game takes.
EclipseAg
AG
We were at Kirby Ice House this past weekend. Lots of Aggies; most of them young (but not all).

Aggies were on the big screen outside. Wait service was good; I liked it there. First time for us.
SquanchyAg
randy828 said:

Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

they probably do the 21 and up thing so every hipster doesn't bring their 3 kids to a bar and their 4 dogs. no one wants to go to a bar and have to deal with other people's infants and school age kids crying and b*tching, while their dogs crap all over the place.

no rule clue, just my guess.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.