Houston
Sponsored by

Investors are snapping up single-family homes (about 1 in 4 for Houston area)

5,800 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SidsBurnerAccount
Jugstore Cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The thread about rental house parties reminded me to post this article. Discussion about it on another board prompted me to look up rentals in my area, and was surprised to see how many of those ordinary 3-bedroom rentals are owned by investors and corporations, both in and out of state.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-sell-a-house-these-days-the-buyer-might-be-a-pension-fund-11617544801

Quote:

If You Sell a House These Days, the Buyer Might Be a Pension Fund
Yield-chasing investors are snapping up single-family homes, competing with ordinary Americans and driving up prices

Quote:

The Amber Pines at Fosters Ridge subdivision in Conroe, Texas, was sold to online property-investing firm Fundrise in December.
Quote:

D.R. Horton Inc. DHI -3.13% built 124 houses in Conroe, Texas, rented them out and then put the whole community, Amber Pines at Fosters Ridge, on the block. A Who's Who of investors and home-rental firms flocked to the December sale. The winning $32 million bid came from an online property-investing platform, Fundrise LLC, which manages more than $1 billion on behalf of about 150,000 individuals.

The country's most prolific home builder booked roughly twice what it typically makes selling houses to the middle classan encouraging debut in the business of selling entire neighborhoods to investors.

Quote:

The consulting firm found Houston to be a favorite haunt of investors who have lately accounted for 24% of home purchases there. Investors' slice of the housing market growsas it does in other boomtowns, such as Miami, Phoenix and Las Vegasamong properties priced below $300,000 and in decent school districts.

"Limited housing supply, low rates, a global reach for yield, and what we're calling the institutionalization of real-estate investors has set the stage for another speculative investor-driven home price bubble," the firm concluded.

Ag_07
AG
We get calls and/or flyers everyday from companies wanting to buy our house.

And I work as a sub for DR Horton and they are buying up property, lots, neighborhoods like no one's business right now. Have been ever since COVID started. And not just here but all over the country.
lne2011
AG
Here's an interesting thread for you:

AlaskanAg99
AG
I get calls at least once a month. And I say sure I'll sell.

They get happy.

$1M

Your house isn't worth that much.

No, but you can buy it for $1M!
aTm '99
BowSowy
AG
I'm curious whether this seems to be happening more for homes that would be considered starter or first homes? If the goal is to ultimately get renters, I don't think it would make a lot of sense to gobble up homes in the price range where people aren't considering renting
Jack Cheese
AG
lne2011 said:

Here's an interesting thread for you:

What an idiotic thread.
Ag_07
AG
Thought the same thing
W
AG
so the out-of-state investors that bought Amber Pines...

wonder if they've heard of something called the West Fork of the San Jacinto River
SnowboardAg
AG
Had this same discussion with a realtor recently. I think we're moving more to corporate housing (like corporate farming). Hanging onto assets and only acquiring more is the route I'll go for now. Getting out of the game or selling high (now), is not the way to go IMO
aTm_bomb
AG
Honest question, what happens when the property taxes on those assets are so high it eliminates any profit?
Ag_07
AG
Just keep raising rent
An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

what happens when the property taxes on those assets are so high it eliminates any profit?
When corporations buy, and the 2017 tax law changes were very favorable to corporate ownership of residential real estate, the lobbyists will follow and changes will be made. Commercially owned residential real estate will likely get all kinds of breaks compared to private ownership.There will be, as noted by another poster, an attempt to push more people from home ownership to home renter and this is starting to happen in certain specific markets.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

They get happy.

$1M

I do the same thing.
94chem
There are no limits on property tax deduction or interest deductions for rental properties. Private owners have caps at $750,000 and $10,000, respectively. Rising valuations, even with a larger tax bill, allow larger deductions, higher rent, and even tax free loans to stay at 75% LTV. Also, if the owners gobble up the property early in the up-cycle, they can afford to keep rents lower, knowing they'll make money on equity and appreciation, and have full occupancy.

Yeah, I make it sound like a bed of roses. It's not; I'm just addressing the issue.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ag_N_Houston said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

They get happy.

$1M

I do the same thing.
It's so much fun to hear the excitement in their voices.

Then dash it away and listen to them sometimes even get angry. Well jackass, if I wanted to sell there'd be a sign in my front yard.
aTm '99
bigjag19
AG
I just say 100 more than last appraisal. If someone ever bites i guess I'm moving.
SnowboardAg
AG
Even with property taxes going up, the corporations have ways to fight it legally, lobbying, etc. I feel bad for those trying to buy their first home. I will hold RE for my family and purchase more as opportunities present themselves. Unfortunately, cash is trash
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Ag_N_Houston said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

They get happy.

$1M

I do the same thing.

Then dash it away and listen to them sometimes even get angry. Well jackass, if I wanted to sell there'd be a sign in my front yard.
I don't throw out numbers like a round million. I usually toss out 900k or 1.2m. Still usually get the same result but its pretty funny. I wonder if one day someone will say yes.
chimpanzee
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Ag_N_Houston said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

They get happy.

$1M

I do the same thing.

I don't throw out numbers like a round million. I usually toss out 900k or 1.2m. Still usually get the same result but its pretty funny. I wonder if one day someone will say yes.
Never underestimate the stupidity of markets in a bubble. If you can arrange for an alternative place to live for a while, you can make out pretty well, but if the bubble doesn't pop, you're kind of hosed because you will need a place to live.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
chimpanzee said:

ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Ag_N_Houston said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

They get happy.

$1M

I do the same thing.

Never underestimate the stupidity of markets in a bubble. If you can arrange for an alternative place to live for a while, you can make out pretty well, but if the bubble doesn't pop, you're kind of hosed because you will need a place to live.
I've got that all figured out:

BohunkAg
AG
SnowboardAg said:

Even with property taxes going up, the corporations have ways to fight it legally, lobbying, etc. I feel bad for those trying to buy their first home. I will hold RE for my family and purchase more as opportunities present themselves. Unfortunately, cash is trash
That's the way to go.....even with prices going up, I think it's foolish to sell unless you are investing in another home or piece of real estate.
TXTransplant
I live not too far from that DR Horton development. If you look at the site plan and the website, you can tell they built it to be all rentals.

I'm on the fence about this. On one hand, small houses could be better than apartments (which are going up everywhere in my area, and most of them are an eyesore). And since it's clear this was meant to be a rental-only community, you don't have the same concern about obnoxious renters destroying a privately owned home. On the surface this seems like it could be a better deal for renters, especially if you are past the point of wanting to live in an apartment.

But that section is part of a larger development with houses up to $600k-ish. I would not think that this rental-only section would help property values of the homes that are privately owned. I certainly would think long and hard before buying in any other section of Foster's Ridge.

I'm curious to see how MCAD has these properties listed. If the houses are all individually owned by the investment company or if it's deeded as one big property.

Edited to add that each home and the lot it sits on are shown as individually owned by the investment company. It will be interesting to see how they are valued over time. MCAD isn't any more consistent in their valuations than HCAD is.
Diggity
AG
Honestly, they look a lot like what you would expect for the mid-200K's per door....whether they were purpose built as rentals or not.

reading about a similar rental community in Atascocita, I noticed it's located in the neighborhood where the neighbors were up in arms about violent gathering on the lagoon. Probably not a coincidence.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Build-to-rent-home-communities-are-flourishing-in-16137108.php#photo-20926197
Chef Elko
AG
I believe it's all a plan to control the rental market and artificially inflate asset prices. OPEC but with large investment firms setting prices.
Duck Blind
AG
This is an interesting time. We just built and moved-in last September in the last gated neighborhood in our development. Every lot now sold out and sticks coming up. A realtor told me my home increased 30% since I closed. That's a nice chunk of change of true. I could sell but where in the hell do I go?
TXTransplant
It certainly is strange times. I live in a 2300 sq ft patio home. Neighbor down the street just listed her house, which is the same floor plan as mine.

I thought for sure she'd list at $450k because a house with about the same square footage in another part of our same neighborhood recently listed for $499k and went under contract within 3 days. That's house was different in style (two story with a rear-entry garage) and is (theoretically) on a more "desirable" street. But still a decent comp.

Neighbor's house popped up this week at $389k, which is only a few thousand more than what it listed for just over 2 years ago when she bought it.

I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or relieved.
Post removed:
by user
Stat Monitor Repairman
A lot of Boomers missed the boat on downsizing.

Delayed for years, thinking they'd need a giant ******* house 'for the grandkids.'

All kids care about is whether they got wifi, not memaw's giant ******* house.
lancevance
So are these corporations driving out the individual investors/house flippers too?
TXTransplant
The property in that link was built to be what it is. So, it wasn't even available to single investors.

However, I've lived in The Woodlands since 2013. At one time, about 20-25% of the properties in my neighborhood/development were owned by investors, most of them in Mexico and South America. I don't think there were a lot of multiple properties owned by the same one, I think the individual owners were just purchasing the properties through a business/LLC (I think this gave them advantages on getting a visa). Many of these properties would stay empty for all or most of the year. Sometimes they were short-term rentals. We've had a few minor incidences of break-ins and some issues with property maintenance.

After Trump was elected, a lot of the owners started selling the properties off because they didn't like his immigration policies. There are still some left, but it doesn't seem to be as many as a few years ago.

If you were/are renting in the Harris Co area of The Woodlands, there is a good chance some of your rent money is going overseas. I would think this would have a bigger impact on local landlords than the scenario in the article.
Diggity
AG
Don't think there aren any green card advantages to owning single family. EB-5 was a popular program for a while but it was hamstrung a few years back and is commerical only.

The Woodland's marketed very well to wealthy Latinos so it became the defacto spot for people fleeing Mexico during the narco wars and just generally looking for a safer place to park their money. I would doubt vert much that money earned by renting is going back to latin America as that would defeat the purpose of getting money out.

It may have dropped off a bit during the Trump administration, but it's still the hot spot in the Houston area for Latin investors.
TXTransplant
Agreed that it's still a hot area...there are still a lot of houses owned by foreigners. I've just noticed that quite a few have come up for sale in the last couple of years. And there aren't quite as many empty homes.

What I had heard was that your visa got fast-tracked if you made a business investment of over a certain amount of money ($500k comes to mind, but I don't recall exactly). I always wondered if purchasing a house with an LLC and then running it as a rental qualified as that business, or if people were just parking their money in houses. Sounds like no.

Regardless, the rental market in my area is strongly influenced by foreign investors and has been for years.

My comment about sending money out of the country was more directed at the point that it's getting harder and harder to rent from local/self-employed (for lack of a better term) landlords. It's not a "family" business, at least not in my area.
Stat Monitor Repairman
For decades people in less stable countries or people who had ill gotten gains parked money in US real estate because it was tangible, safe and stable.

Even with all the insanity of late, I don't see it slowing down.
TarponChaser
The debate between my mom and my old man was living in town or out on some acreage in the "country" and they both grew up on farms. Dad wanted the country. Mom wanted in town.

Sadly Mom won on that one.
KT_Ag08
AG
I believe the E visa program will get people fast tracked to the US as a foreign investor which may be what was happening here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.