Houston
Sponsored by

Tine gonna Tine y'all

3,455 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DrEvazanPhD
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For some reason Land Tejas put their first Crystal Lagoon in Texas in a pretty low-rent development and to be able to make money on the thing opened the place to the public who is willing to pay for access and the inevitable ensues. The Lagoon wasn't really open much last summer after completion due to 'rona but now, with school just out they're going full bore.

Neighbors outraged after violent group of teens storm residential neighborhood

Of course there's a pissed off Upper East Side string on NextDoor where people are pissed that the facility is open to the public on a pay-to-play basis.
Cromagnum
AG
There's no effing way I would ever live in a place like that. You have to pay extra for the luxury of all the special rules they put into place, and then they open it to ****heads in the public anyways to make a buck.
Sea Speed
AG
I would hazard to guess the one in Texas City is even more hoodratish
TarponChaser
Sea Speed said:

Probably equal just different accents.

Up here it's the proximity to Aldine, North Shore, and Sheldon. Down there it's probably a little more Laredo Heat flavor.
Al Bula
AG
Cultural enrichment! You bigots should be ashamed!!!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What kinda dumbass couldn't see this coming? Why would you ever buy in that hood? This is just like 20 years ago when we loaned money to every dumbass that could fill out a form and then watched in amazement when they defaulted and banks collapsed. Time to start stockpiling cash so I can buy up some steals when the bubble busts.
NoahAg
I don't know. It seems mostly peaceful to me.
Diggity
AG
sounds like they were told the amenities were going to be open to residents only, and that has changed.

Not a good look for Land Tejas. Press release saying the event was open to the public to showcase the amenities to prospective buyers. That marketing lady is so fired!
evestor1
like the fighting...they need to learn to keep their feet a little more planted to the ground!
tylercsbn9
AG
Whatever idiot made the bait and switch about it not being residents only needs to be taken behind the woodshed.
TarponChaser
tylercsbn9 said:

Whatever idiot made the bait and switch about it not being residents only needs to be taken behind the woodshed.

I have no clue what individual sales reps for the builders were saying but Mrs. TC knows the marketing director for Land Tejas and they've been pretty up front since the community opened in telling folks that the HOA fees from the neighborhood aren't remotely enough to generate the necessary ROI on the lagoon so they would be selling memberships outside the neighborhood.

Of course, selling memberships is different than selling low-cost day passes or these kinds of events.

But then, when I sent this story to Mrs. TC her response was, "I'm not remotely surprised."
tylercsbn9
AG
TarponChaser said:

tylercsbn9 said:

I have no clue what individual sales reps for the builders were saying but Mrs. TC knows the marketing director for Land Tejas and they've been pretty up front since the community opened in telling folks that the HOA fees from the neighborhood aren't remotely enough to generate the necessary ROI on the lagoon so they would be selling memberships outside the neighborhood.

Of course, selling memberships is different than selling low-cost day passes or these kinds of events.

But then, when I sent this story to Mrs. TC her response was, "I'm not remotely surprised."

Yeah.

Selling some type of yearly pass is understandable and frankly I'd be fine with it.

But turning it into wet and wild splash town or having free days should be a nonstarter.
Sea Speed
AG
5he annual pass would be fine as long as they excluded a large portion of the population through pricing, otherwise you'll just get humble lagoon version of astroworld.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Sea Speed said:

I think at the one in Texas City only part of the beach is open to the public for a fee. The rest is reserved for residents.
chimpanzee
Someone needs to mock up a flyer advertising airfare on Spirit from anywhere in the US and a three day pass to this place for $300 with wildly embellished photos of how nice it is and post it on their Nextdoor.
Sea Speed
AG
BRB, taking this idea to fiverr
Gap
AG
In case anyone wants to attend, here are Land Tejas' plans for the next two weekends:

https://www.lagoonfesttexas.com/concerts
http://lagoonhouston.landtejas.com/

Quote:

Rhymin' N Stealin' (June 5, 7:00 PM 10:00 PM)

Rhymin' N Stealin' is coming to Texas City to kick off the Lagoonfest Texas Summer Concert Series this June! Be sure grab your tickets before they're gone!

Rhymin' N Stealin' resuscitates audiences with high-energy performances of Beastie Boys favorites. Unlike the typical tribute band, Rhymin' N Stealin' doesn't ask for nostalgia or remembrance they show audiences why the Beastie Boys still kick ass right now. Part intricate homage, part obsession, Rhymin' N Stealin' has set itself apart from the tribute band rank and file since forming in 2009.

Quote:

Hip Hop Hooray (June 12, 7:00 PM 10:00 PM)

Adidas? Check. Gold Chain? Check. Boombox? Word! You're fresh and fly and ready for some dope beats with Hip Hop Hooray, the crew that takes the best of the '80s and '90s hip hop tracks and throws down that new level, high-energy shizzle. These guys are some of the baddest musicians around, plus they got one turntable and three MC's! You're gonna groove your laugh off when you see them do their dance. you dig?

P.H. Dexippus
AG

If I were a resident I'd flee the lagoon
Onceaggie2.0
Gap said:

In case anyone wants to attend, here are Land Tejas' plans for the next two weekends:

https://www.lagoonfesttexas.com/concerts
http://lagoonhouston.landtejas.com/

Quote:

Rhymin' N Stealin' (June 5, 7:00 PM 10:00 PM)

Rhymin' N Stealin' is coming to Texas City to kick off the Lagoonfest Texas Summer Concert Series this June! Be sure grab your tickets before they're gone!

Rhymin' N Stealin' resuscitates audiences with high-energy performances of Beastie Boys favorites. Unlike the typical tribute band, Rhymin' N Stealin' doesn't ask for nostalgia or remembrance they show audiences why the Beastie Boys still kick ass right now. Part intricate homage, part obsession, Rhymin' N Stealin' has set itself apart from the tribute band rank and file since forming in 2009.

Quote:

Hip Hop Hooray (June 12, 7:00 PM 10:00 PM)

Adidas? Check. Gold Chain? Check. Boombox? Word! You're fresh and fly and ready for some dope beats with Hip Hop Hooray, the crew that takes the best of the '80s and '90s hip hop tracks and throws down that new level, high-energy shizzle. These guys are some of the baddest musicians around, plus they got one turntable and three MC's! You're gonna groove your laugh off when you see them do their dance. you dig?

A mostly peaceful concert
Dr. Doctor
AG
After living in a land tejas development, one phrase:

Never again.

Shady f'ers.

~egon
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
sounds like an expensive lesson.

i just watched 10 seconds of the lagoon video and came to the same conclusion for free.
tylercsbn9
AG
https://imgur.com/gallery/myGwQjU
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
In the right setting the Hip Hop Hooray sounds like a lot of fun. Gonna venture a guess that this is not the right setting for me to have a lot of fun.
MAS444
AG
The only thing surprising about this is that anyone would be surprised by it.
TarponChaser
MAS444 said:

I think it's more the idea that you can buy a half-million dollar plus home in the burbs and still have to deal with ghetto *****
BMX Bandit
TarponChaser said:

MAS444 said:

I think it's more the idea that you can buy a half-million dollar plus home in the burbs and still have to deal with ghetto *****

His point stands
DrEvazanPhD
TarponChaser said:

MAS444 said:

Half a million doesn't buy what it used to!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.