Houston
Sponsored by

Youth & HS Boys Summer Rugby Program

1,371 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PellsBells09
PellsBells09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy all,

Arrows RFC is hosting a youth rugby program here in town for boys going into 2nd - 12th grade; it'll be divided into Elementary, Middle, and High School sides. The program will be led by Coaches from our Men's team as well as rugby staff from Strake Jesuit, St. Thomas HS, St. Pius X, Regis School, and Western Academy.

Sessions will be Tuesdays and Thursdays (6:30 - 8 PM) over 6 weeks in June and July in Independence Heights (77022). All boys from 2nd - 12 grade welcome!

More info and registration is here: https://www.arrowsrugby.com/summer-2021-youth-7s-program/

Or shoot me a note with any other questions: Blake.Pellerin@ArrowsRugby.com

Thanks!
PellsBells09
AG
24 registered so far from:

Strake Jesuit
St. Thomas
St. Pius X

Western Academy
Our Savior Lutheran
St. Rose of Lima
Regina Caeli Academy (homeschool)
St. Constantine

We've got room for 100 in Elementary, Middle, and High School! Registration is here: https://www.arrowsrugby.com/summer-2021-youth-7s-program/
TexAg2001
AG
I have a rising Sophomore at St. Thomas High School who may be interested in playing Rugby next year. I'll ask him if he wants to sign up. I just wish it was a little closer to home. We live on the SW side of Houston.
BBRex
AG
I loved playing rugby in Galveston back in the day. That's a good thing y'all are doing.
rugger74
AG
Not sure if Galveston has had a team lately, but they hosted a hell of a tourney in the 70's. Stayed at the Galvez and enjoyed the large participation of teams.
rugger74
AG
Should also add the good in growing Rugby in the US through these camps.
PellsBells09
AG
TexAg2001 said:

I have a rising Sophomore at St. Thomas High School who may be interested in playing Rugby next year. I'll ask him if he wants to sign up. I just wish it was a little closer to home. We live on the SW side of Houston.
Would love to have him! I played at STH from 2002 - 2005; it's where I learned the game. In fact, Coach Wolfinger (Director of Rugby at St. Thomas) will be involved in this exact summer program as well.

Yeah little further on the drive than STH in that case. Maybe he can find a buddy and share carpooling?
PellsBells09
AG
BBRex said:

I loved playing rugby in Galveston back in the day. That's a good thing y'all are doing.
Cheers, man.

We play Galveston twice a year! They're in our division. Have some college Aggie Rugby buddies - great friends - that actually play for Galveston now. Always a pleasure to spar with them.
PellsBells09
AG
rugger74 said:

Yep, definitely still have a team, though they don't have the same XVs tournament. They DO have a beach 7s tournament that they've done around August the past couple of years though.
TexAg2001
AG
PellsBells09 said:

TexAg2001 said:

Would love to have him! I played at STH from 2002 - 2005; it's where I learned the game. In fact, Coach Wolfinger (Director of Rugby at St. Thomas) will be involved in this exact summer program as well.

Yeah little further on the drive than STH in that case. Maybe he can find a buddy and share carpooling?
My eldest graduated from STH last weekend. He's not the most athletic, but wanted to be able to say that he played a sport in HS, so he decided to join the rugby team as a Senior since several of his friends were on the team. He was plenty sore and had to get stiches above his eye 2 hours before prom due to an in-game injury, but he had a great time. The camaraderie the boys share is pretty special when compared to some other sports.

Him playing this past season may have sparked an interest in his younger brother.
BBRex
AG
PellsBells09 said:

rugger74 said:

Yep, definitely still have a team, though they don't have the same XVs tournament. They DO have a beach 7s tournament that they've done around August the past couple of years though.
Man, that's a shame. The Mardi Gras Tournament was a lot of fun when I played in the mid-'90s. If I didn't teach on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I'd go practice with y'all just to get in shape and have some fun again.

Good luck getting this going.
PellsBells09
AG
TexAg2001 said:

PellsBells09 said:

TexAg2001 said:

My eldest graduated from STH last weekend. He's not the most athletic, but wanted to be able to say that he played a sport in HS, so he decided to join the rugby team as a Senior since several of his friends were on the team. He was plenty sore and had to get stiches above his eye 2 hours before prom due to an in-game injury, but he had a great time. The camaraderie the boys share is pretty special when compared to some other sports.

Him playing this past season may have sparked an interest in his younger brother.
Nice! Sounds right - I went to my Senior Prom at STH with a massive black eye from state championship tournament the weekend before; made for great photos. Great to hear he enjoyed it - Coaches Wolfie and Mills are great guys - very welcoming and great stewards of the game.

Very cool, let me know if we can help with anything to fuel the spark or otherwise.
PellsBells09
AG
BBRex said:

PellsBells09 said:

rugger74 said:

Man, that's a shame. The Mardi Gras Tournament was a lot of fun when I played in the mid-'90s. If I didn't teach on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I'd go practice with y'all just to get in shape and have some fun again.

Good luck getting this going.
This is what I've heard before! I think I played in HS division of the remnant of that tournament in like 2003 or 04. Ah man, yeah would love to have you sometime if you could ever swing it. Thanks again for the well wishes.

Blake
DustysLineup
AG
Tell your kid it's even more fun in college.
PellsBells09
AG
Program starts next Tuesday! Every participant gets a rugby ball and a team training tee. Got 45 registered so far from:

Strake Jesuit
St. Thomas
St. Pius X
Homeschooled

Western Academy
Our Savior Lutheran
St. Rose of Lima
Homeschooled
St. Constantine
The Regis School
Western Academy
Garden Oaks Montessori

Again, got room for 100 in Elementary, Middle, and High School! Registration is here: [url=https://www.arrowsrugby.com/summer-2021-youth-7s-program/][/url]https://www.arrowsrugby.com/summer-2021-youth-7s-program/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.