Houston
Sponsored by

Polo Ranch Fulsher/Katy Info Opinions?

2,837 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jayelbee
AgTech88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter and her husband have been trying to buy their 1st house for the last 6 months but have been striking out. They want something relatively close to the Seven Lakes area (Both work at Seven Lakes), South of I-10 and west of the reservoir/1464, and are looking on the low price end of the market trying to stay under $250K. All of that makes it a challenge. On existing homes in that price range they have been offering up to $10K over ask and getting beat out by higher bids and cash buyers, some of which I think are investors/flippers.

Based on all of the above they have started looking at new construction in Polo Ranch. Anyone have any intel on that development? Build Quality on houses, demographics, traffic etc.? Any other new developments in their area of interest that have starter homes?

Any advice appreciated.
AgTech88
OnlyForNow
AG
Polo Ranch and Jordan Ranch, are pretty close together.

Have they looked in north "Richmond" along 359 McCrary Meadows comes to mind for that price range or Long Meadow Farms?

Post removed:
by user
RebelE91
AG
Don't know much about Polo Ranch itself other than what I've seen on their website. They have some REALLY small starter homes in the 1400 SF range. Other than that I don't know.

But Fulshear is a great little community that I would not hesitate to live in. It's about to boom along the FM 359 corridor. In a year there will be houses being sold a little further north of Polo Ranch along FM 359 and Woods Road in Tamarron West, Cross Creek West, and a couple other tracts along there.
AustinCountyAg
move to sealy. some new starter home subdivisions being thrown up in the area
MelvinUdall
Try Firethorne, taxes are under 3% so they could afford to reach a little more on their budget and rates are really low.
bkag9824
AG
The homes in Polo are using thermoply for exterior sheathing, are typically on the smaller side, and are on 5' side yard set backs I believe. It's no different than any of the other developments in the area. But it will be zoned to either Morgan (being built now) or Huggins (pretty good school overall) - can't remember which.

They are throwing those houses up as fast as they possibly can at the moment. Anticipate traffic blowing goats on 1093 or 359 moving forward...
OnlyForNow
AG
Don't forget Twinwood in Simonton!
cajunaggie08
AG
MelvinUdall said:

Try Firethorne, taxes are under 3% so they could afford to reach a little more on their budget and rates are really low.
The western part of the neighborhood is zoned to Lamar Consolidated ISD which currently has a slightly smaller tax rate. I havent looked at the market in a couple years but when i was buying in the area the LCISD homes seemed to be priced a little less than the Katy ISD homes in the same neighborhood. That may have changed.
Charlie Murphy
Any concerns when trying to sell? You are competing with 1000's of the exact homes and most likely new builds just down the road.
dahouse
AG
Can confirm, we moved within Firethorne to get a culdesac lot and a bigger yard. Tax rate for LCISD area is 2.6%.

We did a new build, signed the paperwork March 2020. Prices have gone up $60-$100K on the new build plans since then.

Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
dahouse
AG
Twinwood is delayed until 2022 I believe. It will be MASSIVE
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
bkag9824
AG
dahouse said:

And it will flood. A. Lot.
MelvinUdall
cajunaggie08 said:

MelvinUdall said:

The western part of the neighborhood is zoned to Lamar Consolidated ISD which currently has a slightly smaller tax rate. I havent looked at the market in a couple years but when i was buying in the area the LCISD homes seemed to be priced a little less than the Katy ISD homes in the same neighborhood. That may have changed.

You are correct, tax rate 2.7%...worth a look. To the OP, if their looking at Polo, I believer their tax rate was 3.4% or somewhere in that range, so tax wise, it would be more expensive.
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
What if it keeps on raining?
HeightsAg
bkag9824 said:

They are throwing those houses up as fast as they possibly can at the moment. Anticipate traffic blowing goats on 1093 or 359 moving forward...
Not to worry. The Fulshear airport will be built soon and then everyone will be able to take the Southwest shuttle and be downtown door to door in 30 minutes.
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
Nah...that levees going to break.
JSKolache
AG
jayelbee said:

$250 is going to be a tough number to meet in this area and this market for a lot of neighborhoods. You didn't say they're both teachers, but assuming this is the case, they make around $110-130k combined. I'd suggest they suck it up and increase the budget and offer over asking for a place they like where they want to live. A note on a $300k house at ~3% and change isn't going to break the bank.
Yep 250 is no longer the low end of the market, 315 is the new low end.
sts7049
AG
great place if you like child kidnapping
Post removed:
by user
Mas89
AG
jayelbee said:

bkag9824 said:

dahouse said:

And it will flood. A. Lot.

No it won't. It will be inside a levee.
Are you serious Clark? Are they really building in an area that floods and putting a levee around it? Lol
Post removed:
by user
one MEEN Ag
AG
Hmm....here's my take. If you've got two teachers here clearing 100-120k combined, don't buy in the lowest tier of the market, the furthest out. Your making a serious gamble that your neighborhood won't go to hell in a handbasket over time with no insulating factors. I've seen too many neighborhoods take a nosedive after the first generation of homeowners leave. If you plan to live in a starter home for a long time, you're going to have a bad time. In no time flat they will complain about not having enough space once the first kid comes along. In those neighborhoods, you can't update anything without overimproving. Also, those locations are going to always be beat out by newer developments just a few minutes further away.

I would recommend bumping up their budget to 280-300k and searching within Cinco Ranch area. You'll be 5 minutes away from Seven Lakes and if they ever jump schools in KISD they aren't too far away from any other school.
Diggity
AG
people love to talk out of their ass
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Polo Ranch has really pissed off a lot of the bougie folks in Fulshear. They are tiny houses stacked on top of each other. I can't imagine what that neighborhood is going to look like in 5/10+ years. Not a fan (am not bougie)
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
that's not allocated to buy hats for the staff?
aduey06
I was surprised it took that many posts to mention all of the kidnappings taking place in Katy these days.
Mas89
AG
Nope. Not enough rocks or hills and way to dark down there. You and diggy can have eado too.
Hard pass on anywhere that needs a levee to keep out floodwaters. Homie don't play that game.
bkag9824
AG
jayelbee said:

Diggity said:

people love to talk out of their ass
50/50 he doesn't come back because he lives in one of those neighborhoods and just realized what "LID" stands for on his property tax statement.

Are you referring to me? If you are, I don't live in one of those areas. And I'm fairly confident the Simonton area is not an ideal place to place hundreds & hundreds of homes.

I might be proven wrong one day if they never flood, but I'm betting on nature winning the argument.
AndesAg92
AG
jayelbee said:

$250 is going to be a tough number to meet in this area and this market for a lot of neighborhoods. You didn't say they're both teachers, but assuming this is the case, they make around $110-130k combined. I'd suggest they suck it up and increase the budget and offer over asking for a place they like where they want to live. A note on a $300k house at ~3% and change isn't going to break the bank.

My wife is a teacher and does not sniff 50% of the numbers you threw out fyi
Diggity
AG
AndesAg92 said:

jayelbee said:

My wife is a teacher and does not sniff 50% of the numbers you threw out fyi
HISD starts at $55K so doesn't seem like your wife should be that far off. She teaching at private?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.