Houston
Sponsored by

Does Houston Burn On Chauvin Verdict?

4,773 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I won't be going anywhere near downtown at all this week. Turner doesn't have the cojones to squash it before it starts. The fact that he hasn't done some initial preparations shows he is a bit incompetent IMO.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
There will be a crowd in downtown/discovery green for sure. But I don't think it burns.

If you go back and look at the riots last year, Houston came out better than any other major city close to our size. We had big crowds but things were pretty tame. All-in-all this town is a pretty big melting pot of people from a ton of different cultures that get along well. I think there is something to that.

I will add that the most racist people I have ever met come from northern states. Just saying......
Cromagnum
AG
You mean it's not a good weekend to go bar hopping in the 3rd ward?
Diggity
AG
No
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't see anything important burning. I can see a group burning down stores in the hood and looting a Ross in one of the wards.
Diggity
AG

txags92
AG
Folks in Houston who are inclined towards that sort of thing also know that there are alot more people carrying guns around Houston than there are in portland or Mpls. And they know most juries down here are more likely to want to shake the hand of somebody who shoots a rioter than they are to convict them.
txags92
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I don't see anything important burning. I can see a group burning down stores in the hood and looting a Ross in one of the wards.

The target in westchase or the dunvale walmart are probably toast...
rancher1953
Hoping the liberals get a good dose of what Portland and the other cities are going through. Hope they start at Galleria and then head to River Oaks.
tylercsbn9
AG
It wasn't too bad last summer. Houston generally behaves relatively well with these things even compared to the other big Texas cities.
BQ_90
AG
Good thing Dora has the county on code red, surely the looters will respect her request to stay at home
Al Bula
AG
Sad state of affairs that we even have to wonder. Let's not forget Floyd is dead because he tried to buy some smokes with fake money.
Post removed:
by user
bloom
It is Slab Party Weekend in Galveston. The police were overwhelmed last year. I hope the verdict comes next week.

https://www.galvnews.com/news/police/free/article_03a56bd3-bfee-5f1f-8923-ce842ed739ed.html
txags92
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

Sad state of affairs that we even have to wonder. Let's not forget Floyd is dead because he tried to buy some smokes with fake money.
Yeah, taking a fatal dose of fentanyl and then fighting cops had nothing to do with it at all...smh
Marvin_Zindler
AG
#GeorgeFloydAteTooManyDrugs
aTm2004
AG
Nope. Turner, to his credit, set the tone last summer and I believe he'll do it again. We also have a new police chief, and I'd like to think he'll not allow this to be his first failure. But who knows.
Serotonin
AG
Diggity said:

No
Onceaggie2.0
What will JJ watt do if Chauvin gets off cry? Go visit Boyds grave? Glad that dude is gone.
FratboyLegend
aTm2004 said:

Nope. Turner, to his credit, set the tone last summer and I believe he'll do it again. We also have a new police chief, and I'd like to think he'll not allow this to be his first failure. But who knows.
Agree. Turner, HPD, then Chief Acevedo did a fantastic job. 600 arrests.

Now, Kim Ogg let them all go, so she sucks, but the point is correct: HPD will not tolerate any nonsense.
#CertifiedSIP
KDubAg
AG
We were told to prepare for civil unrest. I don't expect places burning but I expect some clashes with PD. I've told my family here to stay home and away from retail stores. I just hope the verdict is decided on my off day.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
My understanding is that the City of Houston is still under mandatory "Just Cheel" orders.
BowSowy
AG
Nope. Things weren't bad here when the stove was hot last year. Way fewer give a **** this time around.
W
AG
night games at MMP Thursday and Friday including an Altuve bobblehead giveaway
JSKolache
AG
Yeah but hes OG Tine from way back, so you never know....
Cromagnum
AG
txags92 said:

Folks in Houston who are inclined towards that sort of thing also know that there are alot more people carrying guns around Houston than there are in portland or Mpls. And they know most juries down here are more likely to want to shake the hand of somebody who shoots a rioter than they are to convict them.

Amazing how that works. It's almost like strict gun control doesn't work.
cajunaggie08
AG
Onceaggie2.0 said:

What will JJ watt do if Chauvin gets off cry? Go visit Boyds grave? Glad that dude is gone.
You've got to be the only person in the state of Texas glad to see JJ gone. How do you go through life being so miserable every day?
HtownAg92
AG
bloom said:

It is Slab Party Weekend in Galveston. The police were overwhelmed last year. I hope the verdict comes next week.

https://www.galvnews.com/news/police/free/article_03a56bd3-bfee-5f1f-8923-ce842ed739ed.html
That doesn't seem like an ideal situation for Galveston.

The Tine also benefits somewhat in these situations by not having much retail downtown. Can't just smash and grab much off the street.
HtownAg92
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Onceaggie2.0 said:

You've got to be the only person in the state of Texas glad to see JJ gone. How do you go through life being so miserable every day?
He did a tremendous amount for the city and there certainly aren't many better faces for a city than Watt.

But strictly football? His first few years were incredible, but once the hype really started to attach to him, he played to it. He became a huge self-promoter, often to the detriment of the team.

After his departure, word started getting out about him hurting the D by playing out of position to boost his sacks. Opposing offenses began to account for Watt running himself out of plays.

My turning point (again, football-wise only) was a playoff game, goal-line situation for the offense, when Watt essentially forced himself into the game -- helmet on, next to the coach, bouncing up and down, getting the crowd into it, with the camera on him. He got his wish and a critical play failed because it was obvious what was coming. That's on the coach for not having cajones somewhat, but Watt didn't need to put him in that position. Stay in your lane, do what's best for the team.

I'll see if I can find it.
cajunaggie08
AG
HtownAg92 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Onceaggie2.0 said:

He did a tremendous amount for the city and there certainly aren't many better faces for a city than Watt.

But strictly football? His first few years were incredible, but once the hype really started to attach to him, he played to it. He became a huge self-promoter, often to the detriment of the team.

After his departure, word started getting out about him hurting the D by playing out of position to boost his sacks. Opposing offenses began to account for Watt running himself out of plays.

My turning point (again, football-wise only) was a playoff game, goal-line situation for the offense, when Watt essentially forced himself into the game -- helmet on, next to the coach, bouncing up and down, getting the crowd into it, with the camera on him. He got his wish and a critical play failed because it was obvious what was coming. That's on the coach for not having cajones somewhat, but Watt didn't need to put him in that position. Stay in your lane, do what's best for the team.

I'll see if I can find it.
Football-wise i have zero issue with him moving on. Sentimentally I would have liked to see him be a Texan for life, but since he still feels he can contribute and there is a team out there willing to pay him, it is what it is. The Texans need to use that money to fill many roster holes rather than pay a big name who is past his prime.
aTm2004
AG
Onceaggie2.0 said:

Herbstreit is going to give John Boehner a clinic on how to ugly cry like a *****.
Irish 2.0
BBRex
AG
So I guess we'll find out.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Got your riot juice?

HtownAg92
AG
City Hall Watch -- My office overlooks City Hall and Hermann Square. No activity, no anticipatory gathering.

I figured Sly and Dora would want to get out in front of this to (1) express their hopes for a guilty verdict, and (2) encourage people to wear their masks when smashing out windows during their peaceful protest.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.