Houston
Sponsored by

Conserve energy

4,066 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cromagnum
BayAg_14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is ridiculous.

jetch17
AG
JFC.
chimpanzee
There should have been dirt moving on new plants around Feb 20.
Ag_07
AG
Haha!!!

That cool front isn't causing anyone to crank up the heater.

What a joke. They actually think we're dumb enough to think that it's actually a demand issue?
lunchbox
From 8 this morning...

SJEAg
AG
Clearly, we're effed this summer.
aTm2004
AG
July and August are going to be epic.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I was certain that "Conserve Energy" was going to be the latest hot new app to help us save money on our electric bills by not running the ac at 65 while we're out of town.
Bondag
AG
WTF? Is the CEO of Generac on the ERCOT board?
tlh3842
AG
The spring (April and May) is when a good bit of outages are taken before the summer moratorium. If that tweet is correct in that half the thermal fleet is taking an outage (which is believable) then isn't that big of a deal.
ccolley68
AG
Is this in any way related to the message my wife showed me this evening urging Texans to turn off their lights at night to protect migratory birds? I don't really know what to make of this clown world we are living in.
Cromagnum
AG
Ag_07 said:

Haha!!!

What a joke. They actually think we're dumb enough to think that it's actually a demand issue?

No ***** I am however running both of my ACs since 80s with 80% humidity blows.
jamesf
AG
Ag_07 said:

Haha!!!

I think what they were saying is that because the cool front stalled, more people would be using their AC with the higher temperatures (hence more energy demand). Still pretty ridiculous.
SJEAg
AG
jamesf said:

Ag_07 said:

Haha!!!

I think what they were saying is that because the cool front stalled, more people would be using their AC with the higher temperatures (hence more energy demand). Still pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, being dependant on cold fronts being consistent and predictable is probably not a good strategy.
agnerd
AG
If they want me to conserve, they need to make it worth my while. Credit my account at $0.20/kwh for my reduction in power usage below my average, and I'll be happy to conserve. If power is cut to my residence, credit me $0.50/kwh of normal use. As those costs get passed on to the generators, that would probably solve a bunch of problems. But if you're going to charge me the same amount when I want power most compared to when I want it least, I'm going to use power when I want.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah that doesn't make any sense either.

From what I'm seeing it looks like they f-ed up planned maintenances and realized they may not meet regular demand so they looked for an unplanned event to blame the emergency on and ended up using that stalling front as a scapegoat.

Problem is no one is buying it. We're not that dumb.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
we have become California way faster than i anticipated
cajunaggie08
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Yet with the same leadership at the state level overseeing ERCOT for over 2 decades. Weird
Mr. Lahey
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Yet with the same leadership at the state level overseeing ERCOT for over 2 decades. Weird

I'm sure governor dora will do a much better job.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Really seems like the inmates are running the prison there. If the big refineries on the ship channel can all work together to not schedule turnarounds at the same time, why can't these power generators? Seems that they should have to schedule it out with ercot so that there are enough available if we need them. I guess that would cut into ercots time of doing absolutely nothing, and they can't have that.
Ags-R-Better
They are far too busy taking the specifications from the customers to the engineers to make sure that there is enough production capacity to meet demand at any given time.
BohunkAg
AG
chimpanzee said:

There should have been dirt moving on new plants around Feb 20.
Like the EPA would allow that.
AgLA06
AG
Seems like we complained that maintenance wasn't being done in an expedient way to ensure the longevity of the grid.

Then they ramped up maintenance and timed them with the times of year where the weather would allow for the loss of capacity. Now we're complaining about the longevity of the grid because weather isn't predictable and too much maintenance is taking place.
TriAg2010
AG
Conservation Alerts probably happen 20 times per year but go complex unnoticed by consumers because they so rarely deteriorate to the point service is impacted. Now it's going to be headline local news anytime they happen in the next few years.
BowSowy
AG
TriAg2010 said:

Conservation Alerts probably happen 20 times per year but go complex unnoticed by consumers because they so rarely deteriorate to the point service is impacted. Now it's going to be headline local news anytime they happen in the next few years.
Thats what I was curious about. I figured this sort of thing happened fairly regularly
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I was wondering if anyone grew up around here in the 80s or 90s. We had constant energy conservation warnings. Even Christmas displays took a hit a couple years.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
TriAg2010 said:

It was a Drudge Report headline this week. SMH.
TriAg2010
AG
TriAg2010 said:

I'm standing by this hot take.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Setting my thermostat to 78 degrees? In June? ERCOT really doesn't care whether I live or die this year.
agnerd
AG
I used to be able to save a ton of money by reducing my energy usage during peak times. But ERCOT took that option away from me because other people are idiots and don't understand how pricing works. So screw them. cranking my AC down to 60 from now on every time they ask people to conserve.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Ditto. Despite the pitfall to the unwary consumer during a historic crisis like Valentines 2021, Griddy's pricing model was more transparent and flexible than anything else available. It shouldn't go away just because some people couldn't handle it. And I say that as someone who bailed out when s___ hit the fan.
Cromagnum
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.