Houston
Sponsored by

El Tiempo coming back to Katy

10,027 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DiskoTroop
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harry Stone said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

If El Tiempo is mediocre I want to know what's above average. Yes, they're pricey but the Wednesday special is a good deal.

Not familiar enough with them to know what the Wednesday special is but I'll answer your question...

Cost not withstanding, Pappasitos is the bar, Teotihuacan is spectacular, and Tony's come to mind as better food and honestly weighing value/cost into the equation I'd just as soon go to Pretty much any hole in the wall taqueria before I pay their prices again.

The fajitas I had at our local location were pathetic and I know that's not the usual state of things. Maybe the Kingwood location just isn't up to par yet but the Gessner location was poor as well.

I've not had good experiences near any time I've been AND ordered fajitas. Their enchiladas and other texmex are adequate but still over priced.

Also, and I'll just say it... crappy tortillas.

teotihuacan is an par with los cucos. if you think that's spectacular you probably think outback steakhouse is on par with pappas brothers.

I would disagree, I'm not fond of cucos. And Teotihuacan is no where near ET pricing. At all. Fajitas for two is $35 any day, not just the Wednesday, last bits of last weeks meat delivery we gotta sell before it goes bad special.
DustysLineup
AG
Teotihuacan on W. Bellfort is great. I couldn't imagine comparing them to Los Cucos.
DiskoTroop
Harry Lime said:

Teotihuacan on W. Bellfort is great. I couldn't imagine comparing them to Los Cucos.

I've only been to the one on Airline but I agree. It is not fancy by any means but finished product is really really good.
I Am A Critic
How much time has Phidousche spent googling the email for El Tiempo's president today?
Diggity
AG
Teo's is good "cheap" Tex-Mex but I can't imagine picking them over El Tiempo if price is removed from the equation.
drumboy
AG
vansprinkle said:

drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

If El Tiempo is mediocre I want to know what's above average. Yes, they're pricey but the Wednesday special is a good deal.

Not familiar enough with them to know what the Wednesday special is but I'll answer your question...

Cost not withstanding, Pappasitos is the bar, Teotihuacan is spectacular, and Tony's come to mind as better food and honestly weighing value/cost into the equation I'd just as soon go to Pretty much any hole in the wall taqueria before I pay their prices again.

The fajitas I had at our local location were pathetic and I know that's not the usual state of things. Maybe the Kingwood location just isn't up to par yet but the Gessner location was poor as well.

I've not had good experiences near any time I've been AND ordered fajitas. Their enchiladas and other texmex are adequate but still over priced.

$32 for fajitas for 2 and queso is the Wednesday special

At this point I'll agree Pappasitos is as good as ET for fajitas but I like ETs margaritas much more and I think Pappasitos raised the house to over $10.

Teos was my go to spot until they raised the prices to almost ET level a few years back. Gonna try again on HH day soon.

We've been going to Tony's almost weekly but they killed their HH and free kids meals on Monday so it's a $100 meal for us. That's why Teos is getting another shot.

Chavez on Gessner is good.

Chavez on Gessner is absolutely awesome. Great price and great food. Just enough fear of being mugged to make it authentic.

Too bad the one time I took my wife service was horrible so she won't go back. Oh well we're not in spring branch anymore
drumboy
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

Harry Stone said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

teotihuacan is an par with los cucos. if you think that's spectacular you probably think outback steakhouse is on par with pappas brothers.

I would disagree, I'm not fond of cucos. And Teotihuacan is no where near ET pricing. At all. Fajitas for two is $35 any day, not just the Wednesday, last bits of last weeks meat delivery we gotta sell before it goes bad special.

ET lists their by weight and 1/2 lb is $39 normally. I think that's comparable to "for two".
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Can't we just agree that TexMex in general is pretty mediocre at best?

No. It's vastly superior to authentic Mexican food. As usual, I couldn't disagree with you more.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Onceaggie2.0 said:

RK said:

Quote:

Teotehuahan (sp?) is spectacular

Teo is garbage nothing but white people in there thats how you know.

Lol that's ridiculous.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
DustysLineup
AG
Hey phideaux, this is totally off subject, but something came up in a conversation with my family the other day and was trying to remember the name of a guy from SH. Mind if I message you on facebook?
AndesAg92
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

FtBendTxAg said:

Nothing screams $150 dollar fajita dinner demographic like a shopping center with Conns as the anchor.

Yay! Very expensive mediocre fajitas!!

Lol Katy/suburb people
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

No. It's vastly superior to authentic Mexican food. As usual, I couldn't disagree with you more.
Maybe so but I wasn't comparing it to authentic Mexican food.
DiskoTroop
drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

Harry Stone said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

ET lists their by weight and 1/2 lb is $39 normally. I think that's comparable to "for two".

I've had a gastric surgery and can eat more than 1/4lb of meat. 1/2lb is not for two.
AndesAg92
AG

SB 43rd STREET OG said:

Maybe so but I wasn't comparing it to authentic Mexican food.

So what are you comparing it to? This is about to turn into the quarterly Houston texmex BS thread.
DiskoTroop
Harry Lime said:

Hey phideaux, this is totally off subject, but something came up in a conversation with my family the other day and was trying to remember the name of a guy from SH. Mind if I message you on facebook?

My email is in my profile. Feel free.
drumboy
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

Harry Stone said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

I've had a gastric surgery and can eat more than 1/4lb of meat. 1/2lb is not for two.

Well add in a bag of chips, salsa, queso, three margaritas, tortillas, rice, beans and 1/4lb of meat.
DiskoTroop
drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

Harry Stone said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

Well add in a bag of chips, salsa, queso, three margaritas, tortillas, rice, beans and 1/4lb of meat.

Sounds like what I used to eat pre surgery
Build It
AG
Expensive and good they are. Laurenzo's may be my favorite restaurant in the city. I'm there at least once a week. The redfish Durango is the tits.
drumboy
AG
Ragoo said:

Mmm Italian Tex-mex
Other than the green rice, what Italian influences are in the food?

It Pappasitos Greek TexMex?

Who cares, they're both solid.
DiskoTroop
drumboy said:

Ragoo said:

Mmm Italian Tex-mex

The rotel... clearly very Italian.
drumboy
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

Ragoo said:

Mmm Italian Tex-mex

The rotel... clearly very Italian.
What is Rotel in at El Tiempo?

I'd say Rotel is Texas food, not Italian. You saying queso is Italian?
DiskoTroop
No that's just me screwing with Fido because he finds it preposterous one might add rotel to any kind of Italian food.
Onceaggie2.0
Tecate is better than Tony's
Texan_Aggie
AG
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

Onceaggie2.0 said:

RK said:

Quote:

Teotehuahan (sp?) is spectacular

Teo is garbage nothing but white people in there thats how you know.

Lol that's ridiculous.
Yeah... on Friday nights its overflowing with every kind of person, not just white people.

This is a very bad take.
DustysLineup
AG
Good news everyone! The Greater Heights will be getting a brand new Tex-Mex joint for yall to bash as overpriced, overrated, and inauthentic:

Quote:

Tres Amigos Caf y Cantina will replace Shepherd Park Draught House at 3402 N. Shepherd Drive April 22.

Ken Bridge, CEO of Delicious Concepts Restaurant Group, which owns both concepts, is turning the draught house into a ZZ Top-themed Tex-Mex restaurant, showcasing Bridge's extensive collection of ZZ Top memorabilia. Stewart Skloss, founder of Pura Vida Tequila, as well as ZZ Top frontman Billy Gibbons, both helped come up with the idea for the restaurant, but they have no ownership in it.
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/04/13/houston-restuarant-co-zz-top-tex-mex.html
TXAG 05
AG
Didn't realize Shepherd Park DH has closed. Although can't remember the last time I went there either.
Irish 2.0
Harry Lime said:

Good news everyone! The Greater Heights will be getting a brand new Tex-Mex joint for yall to bash as overpriced, overrated, and inauthentic:

Quote:

Tres Amigos Caf y Cantina will replace Shepherd Park Draught House at 3402 N. Shepherd Drive April 22.

Ken Bridge, CEO of Delicious Concepts Restaurant Group, which owns both concepts, is turning the draught house into a ZZ Top-themed Tex-Mex restaurant, showcasing Bridge's extensive collection of ZZ Top memorabilia. Stewart Skloss, founder of Pura Vida Tequila, as well as ZZ Top frontman Billy Gibbons, both helped come up with the idea for the restaurant, but they have no ownership in it.
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/04/13/houston-restuarant-co-zz-top-tex-mex.html

OTL... Not the Heights
Texan_Aggie
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Harry Lime said:

Quote:

OTL... Not the Heights
North of I-10 until you reach Spring is the Heights!
DustysLineup
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Didn't realize Shepherd Park DH has closed. Although can't remember the last time I went there either.
Same. I'm not sure when it closed, but it looks like it's the same owner based on this old article:
https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/openings-and-closings-shepherd-on-draft-6419633
Makes sense, given the music fan collections.

Exciting news for the Greater Heights!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Harry Lime said:

TXAG 05 said:

Same. I'm not sure when it closed, but it looks like it's the same owner based on this old article:
https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/openings-and-closings-shepherd-on-draft-6419633
Makes sense, given the music fan collections.

Exciting news for the Greater Heights!

"Anyone who may have mourned the passing of Octane -- the coffee shop-cum-cafe in Garden Oaks --"

What the hell are yall up to in the loop? Imma stay down south.
Irish 2.0
Texan_Aggie said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Harry Lime said:

Quote:

OTL... Not the Heights
North of I-10 until you reach Spring is the Heights!
You're right. It is the same 20mins drive for everyone...
AustinCountyAg
Wife and I enjoyed the filet fajitas yesterday for the first time from el tiempo on gessner.
$120 with tip for the fajitas and three margaritas. Pricey, but me were tired of our standard los Cucos when we visit the tine.
Meat and tortillas were very good, not $120 dollars good though. Oh well. We are rich

Out of curiosity what would that same type of meal cost at pappasitos, since they seem to be rivals in terms of the number of locations throughout Houston?

Edit to add. Original Ninfas on nav is still our favorite for overpriced tex mex. primarily because the free shuttle to Stros games
drumboy
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Wife and I enjoyed the filet fajitas yesterday for the first time from el tiempo on gessner.
$120 with tip for the fajitas and three margaritas. Pricey, but me were tired of our standard los Cucos when we visit the tine.
Meat and tortillas were very good, not $120 dollars good though. Oh well. We are rich

Out of curiosity what would that same type of meal cost at pappasitos, since they seem to be rivals in terms of the number of locations throughout Houston?

Edit to add. Original Ninfas on nav is still our favorite for overpriced tex mex. primarily because the free shuttle to Stros games
El Tiempo:
1/2 lb of beef fajitas: $38.99 (1 lb is $54) (just saw you got filet baller)
1/2 lb of beef fajitas: $50 (1 lb is $70)
House Rita: $9.50

Pappasitos:
Large Fajitas (ET's sizes are 1/4,1/2,1lb so I'm thinking Medium/Large/Family): $60
House Rita: $10 for small & $13 for grande

I noticed a couple months ago that Pappisotas prices were higher than El Tiempo but lots of places have gone up & killed happy hour (looking at you, Tony's). El Tiempo has a lb of fajitas (says mixed but we get all beef) & queso/guac on Wednesdays for $39.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Caliber
AG
vansprinkle said:

drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

$32 for fajitas for 2 and queso is the Wednesday special

At this point I'll agree Pappasitos is as good as ET for fajitas but I like ETs margaritas much more and I think Pappasitos raised the house to over $10.

Teos was my go to spot until they raised the prices to almost ET level a few years back. Gonna try again on HH day soon.

We've been going to Tony's almost weekly but they killed their HH and free kids meals on Monday so it's a $100 meal for us. That's why Teos is getting another shot.

Chavez on Gessner is good.

Chavez on Gessner is absolutely awesome. Great price and great food. Just enough fear of being mugged to make it authentic.
Chavez is our go to. Walking distance from the house, so no worries on what we decide to drink.

But that ain't sketchy, definitely not sketchy compared to lots of Spring Branch places.
BCG Disciple
AG
In my suburban el tiempo experiences (Webster and The Woodlands), they have been sub par to the Richmond and Washington locations. It's been a decade since I was inner loop, but I remember those locations being much better.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.