Houston
Sponsored by

El Tiempo coming back to Katy

10,025 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DiskoTroop
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw on a Facebook Katy restaurant group that El Tiempo has posted an Alcoholic Beverage Application notice on a vacant spot that's been a bunch of restaurants previously in the Conn's strip center at the SW intersection of Fry and I-10. Hopefully they can keep this one from burning down.
PeekingDuck
AG
Well, they are certainly good at picking rough locations.
aftershock
Yea that location sucks....
Al Bula
AG
Gotta be a front for child sex trafficking. Just has to be.
cajunaggie08
AG
While that spot sucks, their last Katy spot was on Kingsland behind a dying Kroger and the old Alamo Drafthouse so it's not like they could have done much worse. At least this time there is some I-10 visibility if they get a big sign.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Nothing screams $150 dollar fajita dinner demographic like a shopping center with Conns as the anchor.
DiskoTroop
FtBendTxAg said:

Nothing screams $150 dollar fajita dinner demographic like a shopping center with Conns as the anchor.

Yay! Very expensive mediocre fajitas!!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
When I think about Katy the image I see is white familys waiting an hour for average mexican food and wives telling everyone on Facebook how great the margaritas are. Maybe a couple kids running around roughshod before the table is ready and every parking space is a tahoe or white f150 doublecab.
Ragoo
AG
Mmm Italian Tex-mex
Mr. Lahey
AG
Even el tiempo isn't good enough for you snobs?
ccolley68
AG
I don't care what anyone says, the pork fajitas are money.
Post removed:
by user
drumboy
AG
If El Tiempo is mediocre I want to know what's above average. Yes, they're pricey but the Wednesday special is a good deal.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Harry Stone
AG
drumboy said:

If El Tiempo is mediocre I want to know what's above average. Yes, they're pricey but the Wednesday special is a good deal.

me too.
RenoAg
Very average tex mex for premium pricing. It isn't terrible food. But it might be the worst value in town.
drumboy
AG
RenoAg said:

Very average tex mex for premium pricing. It isn't terrible food. But it might be the worst value in town.

Candente is better and Pappasitos is comparable in my book. I like Lupes too but half the places around me charge close to the same for much worse.

Edit: dammit I'm not debating this again.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
IDaggie06
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

FtBendTxAg said:

You got the expensive part right. But they certainly are not mediocre, nice try.
Thunder18
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

When I think about Katy the image I see is white familys waiting an hour for average mexican food and wives telling everyone on Facebook how great the margaritas are. Maybe a couple kids running around roughshod before the table is ready and every parking space is a tahoe or white f150 doublecab.

You definitely nailed the Cinco Ranch Lupe Tortilla
sts7049
AG
el jarrito is the king of katy tex mex
ATM9000
AG
IDaggie06 said:

phideaux_2003 said:

FtBendTxAg said:

You got the expensive part right. But they certainly are not mediocre, nice try.

Uh oh... is there about to be an e-Tex Mex throw down? Who does the best meat, cheese, rice and beans cooked with lard?
Al Bula
AG
I don't spend time in any Katy backyards because they are devoid of shade usually being crammed together on a former prairie. Who here should be claiming the title of best Katy fajita backyard grilled?
DiskoTroop
drumboy said:

Not familiar enough with them to know what the Wednesday special is but I'll answer your question...

Cost not withstanding, Pappasitos is the bar, Teotihuacan is spectacular, and Tony's come to mind as better food and honestly weighing value/cost into the equation I'd just as soon go to Pretty much any hole in the wall taqueria before I pay their prices again.

The fajitas I had at our local location were pathetic and I know that's not the usual state of things. Maybe the Kingwood location just isn't up to par yet but the Gessner location was poor as well.

I've not had good experiences near any time I've been AND ordered fajitas. Their enchiladas and other texmex are adequate but still over priced.

Also, and I'll just say it... crappy tortillas.
htxag09
AG
Why are some el tiempo locations so different? I used to work near the vintage park location and the food was completely different. I mean the rice had pasta and sausage in it.
RK
AG
Quote:

Teotehuahan (sp?) is spectacular
Al Bula
AG
Cazadores or GTFO
DiskoTroop
RK said:

Quote:

Say what you want, the food is awesome.

And not over priced.

https://yelp.to/6LcZ95hknfb

Spelling corrected in original post.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Can't we just agree that TexMex in general is pretty mediocre at best?
Marauder Blue 6
AG
htxag09 said:

Why are some el tiempo locations so different? I used to work near the vintage park location and the food was completely different. I mean the rice had pasta and sausage in it.

Franchise vs Laurenzo family owned.
DRE06
AG
Pro tip: Costco sells $100 el tiempo gift cards for $75
drumboy
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

Not familiar enough with them to know what the Wednesday special is but I'll answer your question...

Cost not withstanding, Pappasitos is the bar, Teotihuacan is spectacular, and Tony's come to mind as better food and honestly weighing value/cost into the equation I'd just as soon go to Pretty much any hole in the wall taqueria before I pay their prices again.

The fajitas I had at our local location were pathetic and I know that's not the usual state of things. Maybe the Kingwood location just isn't up to par yet but the Gessner location was poor as well.

I've not had good experiences near any time I've been AND ordered fajitas. Their enchiladas and other texmex are adequate but still over priced.

$32 for fajitas for 2 and queso is the Wednesday special

At this point I'll agree Pappasitos is as good as ET for fajitas but I like ETs margaritas much more and I think Pappasitos raised the house to over $10.

Teos was my go to spot until they raised the prices to almost ET level a few years back. Gonna try again on HH day soon.

We've been going to Tony's almost weekly but they killed their HH and free kids meals on Monday so it's a $100 meal for us. That's why Teos is getting another shot.

Chavez on Gessner is good.
Harry Stone
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

teotihuacan is an par with los cucos. if you think that's spectacular you probably think outback steakhouse is on par with pappas brothers.
Onceaggie2.0
best Mexican food is made in my backyard.
Onceaggie2.0
RK said:

Quote:

Teo is garbage nothing but white people in there thats how you know.
vansprinkle
AG
drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

$32 for fajitas for 2 and queso is the Wednesday special

At this point I'll agree Pappasitos is as good as ET for fajitas but I like ETs margaritas much more and I think Pappasitos raised the house to over $10.

Teos was my go to spot until they raised the prices to almost ET level a few years back. Gonna try again on HH day soon.

We've been going to Tony's almost weekly but they killed their HH and free kids meals on Monday so it's a $100 meal for us. That's why Teos is getting another shot.

Chavez on Gessner is good.

Chavez on Gessner is absolutely awesome. Great price and great food. Just enough fear of being mugged to make it authentic.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.